It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 06:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Keep bombing GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Keep bombing GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 00:45
Hi.. This is my very first post in the GMATclub and I need some serious advice.

Here is the thing : I have taken GMAT 3 times but I was not able to improve the score. In the latest one I scored 560 but the thing is when I was taking MOCks I was scoring much better and somehow I ended up with 560. When I am practicing I am getting q45-q48 and v40-42 but in all the exams i have scored in the range q35-37 and v28-32. I don't know what to do? where am I lacking? I am lost and want to score in high 700s but with my test taking skills I feel that is never going to happen. Can someone please suggest me what should be my plan of action?

As for my prep : i have done OGs and supplements,revised manhattan,taken mocks and solved e-gmat course as well. I don't want to give up on GMAT but I have this feeling that I might not be able to do this and achieve my dream which makes me sad just by thinking about it.

Please suggest me what needs to be changed? should i go for tutors,or what do I need to do.

Thanks
Ana
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Keep bombing GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 17:24
Hi Ana,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Beyond those questions, what were your exact scores on each of your Official GMATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 20:49
Hi Rich,

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? Most of the times I took it completely with essays and IR but sometimes I left essays out.

2) Did you take them at home? i took it at the stretch and mostly at the time of actual GMAT with proper chair and table as well as earplugs.

3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT? yes

4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)? No nothing.. bt somehow i was less stressed during mocks which makes sense.

5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?i took same MOcks again but i also solved new MOCKS with no old questions.

Beyond those questions, what were your exact scores on each of your Official GMATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
1) q37 V28 IR3 Total 560
2) q35 v20 IR2 total 540

I don't know whether my approach is wrong or i m not made for it.

Thanks
Ana

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Ana,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Rich
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 11:07
Hi Ana,

I think there's something 'off' about the data that you listed for your second GMAT - was your Verbal Scaled Score closer to a V26 (or was your overall score lower than a 540?)?

There were a couple of 'red flags' in terms of how you took your practice CATs, but before we discuss those issues I'd like to know a bit more about the lead-up to your more recent Official GMAT and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Keep bombing GMAT   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2017, 11:07

Keep bombing GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap