GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 16:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kelley online vs Carlson Online (new) vs Villanova online?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Kelley online vs Carlson Online (new) vs Villanova online?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2019, 10:20
Hello,
I am trying to decide between a few programs... End goal is to be in MN to live closer to family (currently near NJ). I have 10 years of work experience and 5 in management. Would like to keep working through a PT program that will give me ties to the Midwest while gaining more management experience. Ideally, a year or two after completion I can find another management position in Minneapolis. (Employer would sponsor the MBA)

That being said, Id be interested in opinions about which program to chose.

Kelley seems to have a higher rated online program that has dealt with any growing pains a new program might have. They also have connections in the midwest.
Carlson would be the most relevant for the location I am interested in post-grad.
Villanova is local enough where I could get away with having it on my resume without the conversation about an online program (stigmas and all)

Pricing will be roughly the same between each programs. Any advice?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Kelley online vs Carlson Online (new) vs Villanova online?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 11:38
Online programs are not my forte. Congrats on getting in and pulling the trigger on admissions!
Also congrats on sticking around. I see you have registered back in 2011 :)

I think Kelley's online program is respectable enough where there would not be any awkwardness with disclosure of it being online.
Carlson is a neat FT program but again, I don't have enough feedback about the online aspects besides that it's in MN but none of your classmates will be local since they are all taking the online program.

I think I can make a case for either one, frankly. Moving to MN in the long term builds a case for Carlson and Kelley is a bit of a nationwide recognized name. I would look at the profiles of the students and see who is going to be your classmates. Is it people in your position and those you can learn from or is it a bunch of younger folks who will irritate the heck out of you in the internal discussion forums?
B
Re: Kelley online vs Carlson Online (new) vs Villanova online?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 13:10
bb wrote:
Online programs are not my forte. Congrats on getting in and pulling the trigger on admissions!
Also congrats on sticking around. I see you have registered back in 2011 :)

I think Kelley's online program is respectable enough where there would not be any awkwardness with disclosure of it being online.
Carlson is a neat FT program but again, I don't have enough feedback about the online aspects besides that it's in MN but none of your classmates will be local since they are all taking the online program.

I think I can make a case for either one, frankly. Moving to MN in the long term builds a case for Carlson and Kelley is a bit of a nationwide recognized name. I would look at the profiles of the students and see who is going to be your classmates. Is it people in your position and those you can learn from or is it a bunch of younger folks who will irritate the heck out of you in the internal discussion forums?

Yes I am starting to dive into conversations with current folks in the programs along with some Alums. In regards to my account... when I was a bit earlier into my career I had briefly considered a FT MBA, but ended up continuing to get new responsibilities and opportunities with my company. Now that PT online programs are easy to complete while working, I can finally reconsider(and my employer will pay!) . I know its not a direct substitute, but I am excited nonetheless. It is very difficult to find reviews and resources in general for the online programs but I am still confident it will help me long-term.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 16:55
Hi. There is no doubt it will be a good and helpful experience, esp this long into a career. I feel that it is always good to take some time and pause for a moment to observe and learn. I have recently taken an online course (a few years ago) from the Cornell's online curriculum and it was pretty good. The course went fast and it was a bit lonely doing things on my own without the community aspect of it (though the course did try to incorporate some forum discussions, at which I chuckled), but the bottom line it was a very positive experience esp since your employer is covering the cost, so I don't think you will regret it.

However, one item to watch out for is that with the requirements being low and often not even requiring that one takes the GMAT, you get people with all kinds of backgrounds, rusty skills, and not very committed. I think one issue with online education is that since it is easy to get it, it is just as easy to drop out or show lack of commitment. I would check on that in your research.

Thanks and congrats!
BB
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 05:11
bb wrote:
Hi. There is no doubt it will be a good and helpful experience, esp this long into a career. I feel that it is always good to take some time and pause for a moment to observe and learn. I have recently taken an online course (a few years ago) from the Cornell's online curriculum and it was pretty good. The course went fast and it was a bit lonely doing things on my own without the community aspect of it (though the course did try to incorporate some forum discussions, at which I chuckled), but the bottom line it was a very positive experience esp since your employer is covering the cost, so I don't think you will regret it.

However, one item to watch out for is that with the requirements being low and often not even requiring that one takes the GMAT, you get people with all kinds of backgrounds, rusty skills, and not very committed. I think one issue with online education is that since it is easy to get it, it is just as easy to drop out or show lack of commitment. I would check on that in your research.

Thanks and congrats!
BB

Do schools usually provide such stats? I have seen a lot of data around acceptance vs attending for FT programs, but it would be interesting to see graduation rates specific to the online programs. Very insightful. I appreciate your feedback. Carlson is just now starting their online offering so I'd imagine it could be more difficult to find but I might be able to correlate some info based on their PT program.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kelley online vs Carlson Online (new) vs Villanova online?   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2019, 05:11

Kelley online vs Carlson Online (new) vs Villanova online?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch