GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 06:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg or Booth PT chances?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Kellogg or Booth PT chances? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 20:12
I posted under a few other sections but didn't get a response yet. I'd really appreciate any feedback!

Current location: Chicagoland area
Undergrad: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Major/Minor: Molecular Biology/Chemistry
GPA: 3.61 (Graduated early in 3 yrs, while working part-time.)

WE:~ 7 yrs in Pharma as a data reporting/analytics consultant. In between, I took nearly 4 yrs off to be a stay at home mom. I was also married into the military at the time so had to relocate every 2-3 years and therefore was a teleworker for 3 of 7 yrs. I did advance/promote every 2 yrs, but I do believe teleworking limited my networking and advancement opportunities. While I don't regret putting my career on hold to care for my children when they needed me most, I am concerned by how admissions committees may view this (and my older age, 34).

I've been told that my strengths include delivering under pressure, being resourceful, and taking ownership. Being a military spouse taught me that I could handle more than I thought possible, and it encouraged me to dream bigger. I think an MBA is the logical next step mostly due to timing - I've hit the ceiling in my teleworking role and must either relocate to the company headquarters in order to advance or switch jobs. I like my current company, but it makes more sense for me to relocate my job than to relocate my entire family. I don't want to overestimate their resiliency. Despite how dedicated I am to my job and career goals, my family is my biggest priority. When I learned more about the PT programs at Kellogg and Booth, I felt like they were flexible enough for a working mom. It would be a stretch and take longer than I'd like, but I could do it.

I think an MBA would give me the credibility and exposure needed to potentially switch industries/jobs OR convince my current company to break the ceiling for me as a teleworker. I also genuinely enjoy learning and am curious about entrepreneurship. Chicago is home to 2 top programs, and the prospect of being in a program with an amazing, diverse cast of peers is sooo exciting, especially in light of being a teleworker.

Also, not sure this matters, but I immigrated to the US as a child, and I definitely lived the immigrant experience with my parents. However, I didn't mention this anywhere on my app since I've been a naturalized citizen for decades.

Extracurriculars: In college, I did a lot of volunteering but none with leadership/resume quality. I was on the judicial committee for the university, which was a really amazing experience.
Currently, I'm the head of our version of the parent/teacher association in Kg and teach Bible study each Sunday. I've read so many impressive extracurriculars on here that I'm afraid admissions might laugh at mine. However, I chose those 2 bc my faith is central to who I am and also bc it allows me to spend quality time with my kids. Sometimes you can do something that reaches millions but I think there's also value in influencing a handful.

The weakest part of my app:
GMAT: 620. I didn't plan to do it this way but had to take the test cold. I ran out of time in each section except AWA (5). I've since studied and have been scoring 700+ in practice. I used to tutor part time in college for 3 entrance exams so was quite peeved that I did so poorly here. I understand no one likes excuses, so won't share them, but effectively, I plan to retake this soon.

Thanks for reading!
AstroIceCream
Expert Post
Sia Admissions Representative
B
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: Kellogg or Booth PT chances? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 10:42
AstronautIceCream,

Thank you for sharing your profile, and sorry to read that no one responded to your other posts. I think you have a very interesting profile, that if approached strategically can lead to great results. Based on the description, you have things working in your favor. Your GPA is well within range, being a strong female candidate can also work in your favor, and emphasizing the values that are reflected in your leadership and bible study work could craft a holistic application.

I recommend retaking the GMAT (the sooner the better, so you have time to assess the score, and retake if need be). I am interested in learning more about you and your background, and see how we can best help you present your case. I recommend you reach out for a free consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 6696

Contact us for a free consultation
+ 10% off any package

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 15:31
Thank you! I appreciate your initial thoughts. I plan on retaking the GMAT this Friday and agree it'll inform my next steps.
Expert Post
Sia Admissions Representative
B
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 11:29
AstronautIceCream,

No problem; happy to help. Good luck on Friday, and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best,

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 6696

Contact us for a free consultation
+ 10% off any package

Re: Kellogg or Booth PT chances?   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2018, 11:29

Kellogg or Booth PT chances?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap