GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 18 Jan 2020, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kellogg vs LBS

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Kellogg vs LBS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2019, 09:23
I got accepted to both Kellogg and LBS and am deciding on which to go.

Some context:

-Recruiting: I currently work in consulting and am being sponsored which means I won’t be doing full time recruiting. I’ll be returning to my current job because debt and also don’t mind it.

-Goals for B-School: Because I’m not looking for a full time job, I’m mostly just using it to experience new things. I want to live abroad (which I think Kellogg has a good study abroad program) and I want to explore other long-term career options to see what I’d enjoy doing post 2-5 years in consulting via internships and such.

-Long-term Goals: I would want to do corporate strategy at a tech company / startup or do strategy work at a VC.

-Other Considerations: Chicago’s winter scares me as a Californian. I’m also wanting a good community of people which I think both might have. Kellogg is more lax about class attendance. A little part of me also cares about name brand, which I’m not sure how they rank against each other.

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Kellogg vs LBS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2019, 16:24
Congratulations on your admits! Fantastic job and thank you for posting this puzzle :-)

I have honestly spent half an hour thinking which one I would choose... if you are going to live and work in the US, I feel spending two years in London business school would probably be a little too much change and adjustment and honestly culture shock. (supposedly UK is one of the worst culture shock places for Americans to adjust to or so my OB professor told me). It’s one thing to go for a study abroad for a semester or a quarter but it’s a whole different ball of wax to move to a different country for 18 months only to move back after that. I’m not saying it’s bad but I’m asking why?

I did a study abroad and met a lot of great people that I got very close with but they were from all over the world and while those were great relationships, they didn’t really last a whole lot once I came back to the US. We were too far apart and never really overlapped in our travel.

Kellogg has a much stronger network in the United States, pretty much in any state and city. While you may not be networking right away, it would be great to have social and emotional support from the local group spending a summer in Bay Area for example.

I would suggest attending Kellogg and taking advantage of their study abroad and other travel opportunities. You also have some time before the school starts to explore whatever part of the world you wish. I don’t see LBS giving you an edge in your career goals really So I’m finding it hard to fit it into your story as a step up vs a sidestep.

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2019, 20:12
First of all, thank you so much for the amount of time and consideration you put into your answer.

As follow up, I’m interested in doing the 18 months in London because I’ve always wanted to try living abroad for an extended period of time and am also open to working abroad (having Accenture transfer me to a different office). I also have experience living abroad in Shanghai for three months and have lived in an international dormitory for two years in college (probably a similar environment to the very international nature of LBS). And yes, while we’re not living in the same countries, I’ve still maintained many of the friendships. As a result, I feel I’m very comfortable with the nature of a more international vs local network.

That being said, I’d love to hear more about why UK has the greatest amount of culture shock for Americans.

Additionally, in terms of my future tech career path, I actually attended Berkeley and have been working in SF the last couple years and have a strong network here already. As a result, I guess I’m looking to use business school as a way to take a break from consulting work and really just experience new things, as silly as it may sound.

I’d love to hear if your opinion changes to LBS or if you still think Kellogg would be the best place with this added info.

Thank you!

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2019, 21:28
It is not that I don’t like LBS, as a funny coincidence, my cousin is heading to LBS this fall. That was his top choice and he is not planning on working in the US for a while upon graduation but heading to Asia or possibly sticking around Europe to surprise of his whole family. Anyway, I digress.

I don’t think LBS will be a wrong choice, it’s clearly a great school and has a strong name and brand, esp in London. It definitely makes it easier to travel around Europe and take day trips to Spain or Paris or Florence. Not being worried about recruiting, you can make any choice you want and still win at the end. The experience is a bit different though most sponsored people still end up recruiting to see if they can end up ahead rather than go back to their sponsor.

I’m speaking from a more pragmatic and boring standpoint. At the same time, this is probably your last chance to go out and have some fun before you get tied down with family, kids, soccer, House payment, car payment, basically life. I have not been able to get more than a few days off ever since I left the business school and some of the best trips I’ve ever taken, were while -being dirt poor in business school :) instead of staying in the US and recruiting during my second year, I thought it would be a great decision to head over to Hong Kong and do a semester abroad there. I had a fantastic time but in retrospect it was completely impractical and I totally failed to do my research. I failed to realize that job in Hong Kong would require decent language skills, work permit and so on. Things have obviously worked out but I don’t think that was a practical choice I made. I don’t regret it however :-)

It’s obviously your choice, and again neither one of them is the wrong one. I think Kellogg is still the practical choice and LBS is the fun one that is a much wider spectrum of experience but a lot more uncertainty about applicability of the experience.

PS. I believe the reason given by my professor about the challenges of culture shock for US ex-pats in the UK, was lack of preparation and expecting an easy transition. I think everyone expects an adjustment going to France or Spain but I think many of the ex-pats did not think twice before moving since the language is the same and a lot of the culture is quite similar as well but that’s only on the surface. I also think part of the study was flawed because likely ex-pats going to UK were people who did not want to move abroad anywhere and were convinced to take UK as the most similar country. But in general it all has to do with the expectations, research, and your willingness to embrace the culture and the way of life. Personally, After 4 months, I started To get tired of rice, pushing to get into the elevators and the subway and the whole Hong Kong thing. It also got cold and miserable in December. I was ready to come back to California :) I may be a softy and someone who definitely made some irrational decisions so you decide....

B
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
CAT Tests
Kellogg vs LBS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2019, 23:28
anneflys

First of all Congratulations on your admit to LBS and Kelloggs.

Since you already have strong base in US in terms of contacts and wish to live abroad, i will suggest LBS. I've lived in London for 3 years and found it to be one of the most welcoming cities.

I have lived in Russia, Qatar, Nigeria, India, Japan, Iraq and UK. I have friends from all around the globe and still in touch with most of them.Thanks to FB and of course stopovers during trips. :)

Londoners are from diverse cultures and very warm in nature. London's experience differs compared to other British cities, probably because of international group of people.
The only downside to London is the weather. It rains pretty much all year except for glorious sunny summers. London is a city for people who enjoy limitless options of things to do and places to go. You will be welcomed as an expatriate.

I am sure you will enjoy living in London.

Best wishes
GMAT Club Bot
Kellogg vs LBS   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2019, 23:28

Kellogg vs LBS

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste