Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 16:50 It is currently 14 May 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1311 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22219 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Re: Lack of attention to details [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi joaoalencar023,

I have a great article for you to check out:

Improving Your Accuracy on the GMAT
HBS & Haas Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Lack of attention to details [#permalink]
Kudos
joaoalencar023 wrote:
Hi guys,

I would like to share somenthing that's been bothering for a while. I currently scheduled to take the GMAT focus edition next week. I probably need to improve my score by 30-50 points, but sometimes i miss questions due to lack of attention to some details. I feel really confident about my overall skills, i rarerly don't know how to solve a question, but i still miss some questions because of something that i overlooked, or did not properly read. I always try to be as concentrated as i can, but, it still happens and it is still killing my scores. Does anyone have been through this? Any thoughts?

Thank you

I had the same problem. What I did was figure out exactly where I was lacking details and develop strategies for each case. E.g. I was always missing the "except" in CR questions. So now, the first thing I do is read the question and rewrite it in my words with special emphasis on the except, and THEN read the argument. After deciding on this strategy, I found 20-ish "except" questions and worked through them in the exact order of my "strategy". I didn't even care if I got the answers right, as long as I worked in the order of read and rewrite question, read argument, guess answer, check options. After a while, it became natural to follow that order. I don't even have to think about it anymore and my carelessness rate on CR questions is now 0%.

Same issue in quant, I would solve a problem correctly and then forget that the question asked for half of a variable or a completely different variable, so I would pick the wrong option despite doing all the right work. I developed a similar strategy. Write down what variable is being asked first before anything else. Draw a box around it even. Then before picking an option, I had to read what I wrote and make sure it matched what I had solved. I drilled this strategy order with a few dozen questions and it became automatic too.

You know yourself best, figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it in a way that will be natural to you.
GMAT Club Bot
Lack of attention to details [#permalink]