Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Lacking in Verbal Section [#permalink]
Hi Rich,
1)I have started my preparation since January, and its almost more than 3 month , I covered all the topics from basics including CR,SC and RCs from some videos tutorials and other suitable material .
And I had solved OG twice , and the problem is most of the question are byhearted for me .So If I am asked to solve any OG ,most probably it will be the correct answer I choose .
(Same with my Quant , but in Quant I am quite comfortable as I am from Engg background so I will cover up)
2)I am planning to get a score of 750+
3)After the preparation of these 3 months I gave CAT and my score was QA-44 , VA-17
4)I am planning to take my GMAT most Probably in the next month and it depends on my preparation,this is the reason I have not taken any date yet.
5)I am planning to apply for the first round of application in month of SEP

I would like to thank you in Advance for your guidance and help !!! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

I am lacking mainly in SC section , most of the questions I make it wrong , while in CR and RC its not that good , but just ok .
So as in all I need to improve all the 3, but the most weakening section for me is SC , so thats the reason I need something that has all the three sections for verbal practice , and I will start from SC to build my confidence .

Hope this helps !! :!:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have realized one more thing , when I am working for any one section like CR , I will build up a confidence and will be able to solve the questions correctly , but after while working on some other section like SC, when I will switch back to CR , I feel I am totally lost , there is no consistency :(
I don't understand what needs to be done :(
Could any one guide me on this part, what could be done .
Thanks in advance !!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Surbhi17,

To start, with your current score goal, you're going to have to make some BIG improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. All of that work is going to take time though, so you'll likely need another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study to get to that level. While you can take the GMAT in the next month, you probably will not be close to your score goal during that time.

The Verbal section of the GMAT is just as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is, so if you 'forget' lessons from earlier in your studies, then you're not focused on the proper Tactics and 'steps' that you should work through every time you tackle an SC, RC or CR prompt. You're going to have to change the way you 'see' (and respond to) GMAT questions.

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) How many hours do you think that you can study during a typical week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,
I would really appreciate your guidance .

1)I am planning for ISB
2)As I am a working professional , I can give about 3 hrs/day in weekdays , while I can give my whole weekdays to study for the same .

So, please guide what plan /schedule I need to follow , which builds up my confidence and consistency in both QA and Verbal.
Thanks in Advance !! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Surbhi17,

Given what you've described, and your goals, you're probably going to need to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional question, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Lacking in Verbal Section [#permalink]
Enroll in one of the online verbal courses....
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Surbhi17 wrote:
I am lacking mainly in SC section

Hi Surbhi, thought I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

See here how Mohit, who scored 750 on GMAT, vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone has Manhattan series for verbal section for practice purpose ?
GMAT Club Bot