It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 12:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last year a large firm set a goal of decreasing its workforce by 25

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Last year a large firm set a goal of decreasing its workforce by 25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 16:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (01:15) correct 14% (01:06) wrong based on 90 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Last year a large firm set a goal of decreasing its workforce by 25 percent. Three divisions, totaling 25 percent of its workforce at that time, were to be eliminated and no new people hired. These divisions have since been eliminated and no new people have joined the firm, but its workforce has decreased by only 15 percent.
Which one of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation of the difference in the planned versus the actual reduction in the workforce?
(A) The three divisions that were eliminated were well run and had the potential to earn profits.
(B) Normal attrition in the retained divisions continued to reduce staff because no new people were added to the firm.
(C) Some of the employees in the eliminated divisions were eligible for early retirement and chose that option.
(D) As the divisions were being eliminated some of their employees were assigned to other divisions.
(E) Employees in the retained divisions were forced to work faster to offset the loss of the eliminated divisions.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Canadian Bschools: Detailed comparison
Resume Guides

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :) ..TIA

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 56

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

Re: Last year a large firm set a goal of decreasing its workforce by 25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 17:59
IMO Option D
Options A,B& C are irrelevant.
Workforce being eliminated from the three divisions were assigned somewhere else in the firm.So people eliminated is not equal to the new people assigned.Hence the workforce decreased by only 15 percent.
So Option D is correct.
Please give me kudos. I need them badly to unlock gmatclub tests

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Last year a large firm set a goal of decreasing its workforce by 25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 00:21
Answer is D because it is the only answer choice that explains why there was less of a decrease than expected.
A) irrelevant
B) states that decrease should be higher
C) irrelevant
E) irrelevant

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Last year a large firm set a goal of decreasing its workforce by 25   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2017, 00:21

Last year a large firm set a goal of decreasing its workforce by 25

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap