Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
My Masters in Finance Journey so far… [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Students Blog: My Masters in Finance Journey so far…
By way of introduction my name is Augusto Ramos and I’m currently studying the Masters in Finance at London Business School (LBS). Having completed the first term of the MiF I would like to share my experiences. I’m a 25 year old Brazilian with over 4 years of professional experience in corporate finance and asset management. I worked for two years at SC Johnson in the finance department, working with budget planning and analyzing the financials of new product launches for the Home Cleaning segment. I then decided to leave SC Johnson after two years to join a Brazilian start-up asset management firm, working as an equity analyst analyzing consumer staples companies. Prior to joining LBS I took a four month internship at Dynamo Capital LLP, an asset management Firm in London, analyzing European public companies. My main motivation to study at LBS was to leverage my financial knowledge in a global environment.

The Events

Early last year there was an event called “Working in the consumer goods industry” where different LBS alumni working for different companies came to speak. One of the guys that came to campus works for AB InBev (the world’s largest beer company).  Getting to hear about his experience there and the work environment made me 100% sure that I wanted to work for a company controlled by the 3G group. LBS offers you opportunities to meet these people and attend numerous events where you can network and meet professionals from any company or industry you are interested in.

The Study Group

One of the best things at LBS is being divided into study groups for the Core Courses. The groups are split to reflect culture and sector diversity. In my case, I ended up working with classmates from Portugal, India, Malaysia and Mongolia. This is an amazing experience as you get to practice how to deal with cultural differences (and there are plenty!) and differences in group opinions! These are things you will most definitely encounter in your professional life and having an opportunity to deal with this is very fulfilling if you want to work in a global environment.

The Classroom Experience

I have been really impressed with the teaching at LBS.  My favorite class so far has been Advanced Corporate Finance. This covers not only different methods for valuing companies and projects, such was DCF, multiples, real options and so on, but also how companies deal with capital structure decisions, deciding whether to go forward with project finance or corporate finance, ways of financing investment decisions and what differences need to be accounted for when performing cross border valuations. This area of corporate/project finance is a big interest of mine.  Each different aspect mentioned above was backed up with real life case studies, looking at what different companies considered before making investment decisions. Analyzing what went right and what could’ve been done better has given me a great deal of knowledge.

London Location

Besides the weather, literally everything about London has been excellent – going out to pubs with my friends after class, (yes it is possible) and during weekends, running in the park and playing football and of course enjoying watching Premier League matches! I come from a country where due to security and infrastructure issues, I am not very used to having the freedom of moving from one place to another at any time I want and for cheap prices, so being able to get the tube late at night to go to someplace 1 hour away from my place has been unique as well. Life in London is great, and if you get used to the weather, the pros are miles better than the cons!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Welcome to the Sloan Class of 2017 [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Welcome to the Sloan Class of 2017
Following a year of applications, interviews, planning and preparation, Monday 9th January saw us welcome to newest students to the Sloan MSc programme. An inspiring and experienced group came together to meet for the first time and embark on their LBS adventure. To say the class is diverse would be an understatement, with 61 students […]

Read the rest of this entry...
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
EMBA-Global students named Forbes 30-under-30 [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: EMBA-Global students named Forbes 30-under-30
The EMBA-Global team are proud to share that two current Americas and Europe students have been named in Forbes’ 30-under-30 in Europe for Finance.                             From over 15,000 nominations, only 600 of the brightest young entrepreneurs, breakout talents and change agents in 20 […]

Director
Director
Send PM
Welcome to the latest Executive MBA class [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Welcome to the latest Executive MBA class
On 8 January the Executive MBA team, here at London Business School were delighted to welcome the new EMBA class. Both the Dubai and London streams came together filling the room up with 134 new faces, ready to embark on their 20 month EMBA journey. The class is made of 45 different nationalities, with an […]

Director
Director
Send PM
Can London attract skilled workers to a post-Brexit Britain? [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Can London attract skilled workers to a post-Brexit Britain?
When it comes to attracting talented workers, London is the city to beat. A report carried out by professional services firm Deloitte describes England’s capital as being “in a league of its own”, having seen a 16% rise in highly-skilled people from 2013 to 2016. In that time, the number of talented workers moving to […]

Director
Director
Send PM
Why we ask certain things in the application itself [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Why we ask certain things in the application itself
A good thing to do before you fill in your application is to get a grasp of the different elements that make up an Executive MBA (EMBA) application and what the committee members are looking for whilst reading through the different parts. CV The first thing that we see when initially reviewing your application, is […]

Director
Director
Send PM
The Executive Assessment [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: The Executive Assessment
  G M A T – four letters that often strike fear in to the hearts of busy executives looking to apply to Business School. The GMAT exam provides a detailed and specific assessment of an individual’s business academics, but the lengthy preparation and examination time can be prohibitive to executive candidates. Since March 2016, […]

Director
Director
Send PM
How the EMBA team can help you make that final decision? [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: How the EMBA team can help you make that final decision?
We realise that a programme like the Executive MBA is a big investment for candidates, therefore we always like to ensure that we provide you with as much information as possible when taking such a big step. Below are some examples of the not to be missed opportunities we have in place, in order to […]

Director
Director
Send PM
How the EMBA team can help you make that final decision [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: How the EMBA team can help you make that final decision
We realise that a programme like the Executive MBA is a big investment for candidates, therefore we always like to ensure that we provide you with as much information as possible when taking such a big step. Below are some examples of the not to be missed opportunities we have in place, in order to […]

Director
Director
Send PM
Why we need more women in business schools [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Why we need more women in business schools
I once read that one of the reasons women should undertake an MBA programme was because the alleged “bro-ski” or fraternity culture of business school prepares you for the male executive suite. On one hand I understand the argument. If you are surrounded by this type of culture for a couple of years you may […]

Director
Director
Send PM
Ignite your entrepreneurial spirit [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Ignite your entrepreneurial spirit
At London Business School, we believe that entrepreneurship education needs to have a foot in the real world. The School provides a range of dedicated support and initiatives for entrepreneurs. As an Executive MBA (EMBA) student, you can choose to take advantage of facilities and services including the Entrepreneurship Summer School, Entrepreneurship Mentor in Residence […]

Director
Director
Send PM
6 reasons why a Masters in Finance could be your best investment [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: 6 reasons why a Masters in Finance could be your best investment
There are plenty of reasons to choose a Masters in Finance (MiF) at LBS. Here are half a dozen Research shows that you should spend your money on experiences, not things. You might say, “What do people have to show after six-course dinners and long-haul holidays?” You might say that buying a better car is […]

Director
Director
Send PM
Sloan MSc – Term 1 Highlights [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Sloan MSc – Term 1 Highlights
The Sloan Masters in Leadership and Strategy is unique in European top business school offerings in focusing on the experienced executive in a full time degree. As the class of 2017 move into their second term, here are a select few of the many highlights of the term just finished beyond the engaging, informative and […]

Director
Director
Send PM
Cross-generational learning within the LBS community [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Cross-generational learning within the LBS community
  At most business schools you will find similarities in the course content, the academics and the case studies used. What differs and sets them apart is the environment you study and develop in. At London Business School it is easy to point to the key characteristics that help to define this environment; the city […]

Director
Director
Send PM
Tackling Gender Equality in Business – One Student’s Experience [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Tackling Gender Equality in Business – One Student’s Experience
  Diversity is good for business, this much we know. Studies have shown that companies which embrace diversity have better performance, both human and financial. Seems like a no-brainer, right? In thinking about gender diversity, why is it then that we have yet to see an equal number of men and women in the boardroom, […]

Director
Director
Send PM
Sloan MSc – Scholarships [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Sloan MSc – Scholarships
  Funding your studies is an important consideration when looking to undertake a programme of higher education, particularly when the programme of study is full time such as the Sloan MSc. There are a number of funding options open to potential Sloan Fellows, including company sponsorship, loans and personal finances. For those the Admissions Committee […]

GMAT Club Bot
Sloan MSc – Scholarships [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6 
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts