GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Jun 2019, 22:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Apr 2019, 03:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:47) correct 16% (01:50) wrong based on 825 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating additional measures to pressure the company to accept the union's contract proposal.The union leaders are considering as their principal new tactic a consumer boycott against Gasco gas stations,which are owned by Energy Incorporated, the same corporation that owns Coalco.

The answer to which of the following questions is LEAST directly relevant to the union leaders’ consideration of whether attempting a boycott of Gasco will lead to acceptance of their contract proposal?

(A) Would revenue losses by Gasco seriously affect Energy Incorporated?

(B) Can current Gasco customers easily obtain gasoline elsewhere?

(C) Have other miners’unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union?

(D) Have other unions that have employed a similar tactic achieved their goals with it?

(E) Do other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations?

Here is my analysis about this question.

Any other Option other than C and E are related in some way or the other to the leader's consideration that "attempting a boycott of Gasco will lead to acceptance of their contract proposal"

Regarding Option C:
Whether or not other minor's union have won such proposals - is not related to the fact that something will happen by boycotting the Gasco...and therefore this is the answer

Regarding Option E:
If there are other Co that own both of them, on boycotting Gasco of Energy Incorporated - consumers will go to other Gasco, who also own CoalCo. Therefore the competitors of Energy Incorporated will start performing better and therefore a cause of concern for Energy Incorporated, and likely hood that they will accept the proposal is more.

Therefore Option E is to some extent related and not the correct answer.

If so then "C" is a better anwer. But all forums show option "C" as the correct answer. With a reason that

"If other miners’ unions have won similar contracts,then the union's proposal is reasonable.This question is relevant."

this is not all related to the union Leaders plans that "attempting a boycott of Gasco will lead to acceptance of their contract proposal". So what if the proposal is reasonable, but it will not get accepted because of boycott...am i wrong...?

Can someone help in understanding what - understanding should we carry about GMAT choice of answers.

Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 42
Page: 132
Difficulty:

Originally posted by pual on 05 Sep 2009, 23:18.
Last edited by Bunuel on 08 Apr 2019, 03:51, edited 6 times in total.
Edited the question.
Math Expert
V
Re: Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2009, 23:50
41.Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating additional measures to pressure the company to accept the union's contract proposal.The union leaders are considering as their principal new tactic a consumer boycott against Gasco gas stations,which are owned by Energy Incorporated,the same corporation that owns Coalco。

The answer to which of the following questions is LEAST directly relevant to the union leaders’ consideration of whether attempting a boycott of Gasco will lead to acceptance of their contract proposal?

](A) Would revenue losses by Gasco seriously affect Energy Incorporated?
(B) Can current Gasco customers easily obtain gasoline elsewhere?
(C) Have other miners’unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union?
(D) Have other unions that have employed a similar tactic achieved their goals with it?

41) i think u r right that both choices are very close and if one does not look clearly might fall for any ans.....
however one point which asks for merit is:-
relevance asked is for union leaders’ consideration of the proposal and not relevance of proposal.... slight difference but i think an imp one...
since union leaders’ consideration would encompass points which might not be true for relevance of proposal..
Re: Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2009, 01:51
All I could carry as an understanding for myself is that

"We should not apply two-step logical co-relation. It should be as much as possible single step co-relation."

Does anyone have an example where the above conclusion is flawed ?? :)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2010, 20:03
41.Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating additional measures to pressure the company to accept the union's contract proposal.The union leaders are considering as their principal new tactic a consumer boycott against Gasco gas stations,which are owned by Energy Incorporated,the same corporation that owns Coalco。

/////////// Energy incorp//////////
Gasco station -------------- Coalco Corp
BI -Union Strike against Coalco Corp to accept the contract's proposal.
Tactise - Boycotting on Gasco station affect the Coalco Corp

We need to find the least one.

(A) Would revenue losses by Gasco seriously affect Energy Incorporated? if yes - Boycotting Gasco affect the Coalco's Corp.
(B) Can current Gasco customers easily obtain gasoline elsewhere? - if yes - Boycotting Gasco affect the Coalco's Corp.
(C) Have other miners’unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union? - if yes - Boycotting Gasco may or maynot the Coalco's Corp.
(D) Have other unions that have employed a similar tactic achieved their goals with it? - if yes - Boycotting Gasco affect the Coalco's Corp.
(E) Do other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations? - If yes/No we can't say anything about Boycotting Gasco affect the Coalco's Corp.

Ans E)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2011, 13:04
yes, has to be E , as the answer to whether other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations is irrelevant . C offers a precedent , which is obviously relevant .
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2011, 02:03
The leaders of the Miners' union have decided to call for a consumer boycott against gasco.
What is meant by the term "consumer boycott"
Does it mean that the leaders of the union have decided not to consume gas at the gasco gas stations?
or does it mean that they have decioded not to attend to the consumers who come to fill gas at the gasco gas stations ?
Also Can someone elaborate on what influence does C Have on the Plan .
Is it relevant because the chances of having your proposal accepted increase if the other unions have met with some success.What if the other unions have had no success
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2012, 11:44
I have chosen the answer E for this question:

A. Revenue losses would be extremely important to know. The reason is because if this boycott affects Gasco's revenue, they would probably be more inclined to deal with the situation and possibly submit to the conditions of the union's proposal. If it doesn't affect the revenue, then the union would have to find some other approach to put pressure on the company. Therefore, this answer choice is relevant.

B. If gas can easily be obtained elsewhere, this would likely make the boycott fail because consumers could go somewhere else very easily. If gas cannot be easily obtained, then this approach would definitely affect the company.

C. There seems to be a lot of questions concerning this answer choice. The way I interpreted it was that if other miners' unions won contracts, then their proposal is fair and Coalco would be see that their conditions aren't outrageous. Also, if the contracts are similar, it means that other companies have caved to these same conditions and Coalco is probably willing to do the same in order to avoid additional pressure.

D. This is obviously important because if previous tactics have worked, then there is no reason that they should not again. This knowledge tells us the likelihood of these tactics succeeding.

E. This answer choice is least relevant because we are not concerned whether coal companies also own gas companies. For example, say we choose the answer "yes" to this question. Would this tell us any additional information? How about if we chose the answer "no?" Answers to either of these questions would not be beneficial to the leaders of the miners' union.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2012, 01:01
garimavyas wrote:
yes, has to be E , as the answer to whether other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations is irrelevant . C offers a precedent , which is obviously relevant .

In case there is still some ambiguity on why E is correct and not C, here is my take on it:

Since the question asks for the LEAST relevant to the Union's consideration, any information that is even remotely influential in going ahead
with the boycott can be considered as a wrong answer choice.
If we assume that other miners' unions have won contracts similar to the one proposed by the union, then it clearly indicates that their demands are not completely outrageous. Even if the answer to that question is NO, that would still influence the decision whether to go ahead with the boycott or not.
As rightly mentioned above, it will help determine whether a precedent has already been set or not. Since we are only looking for the LEAST relevant option, it makes answer choice C more relevant than E.

To know whether other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations is completely irrelevant. Had E stated "Does any other CORPORATION have gas stations in the locality/country/world (though farfetched)" would have made E more relevant than C. Because in that case, knowing that boycotting Gasco would have a significant impact since there would/wouldn't be other gas stations that consumers could go to. But in its current form, E is focusing only on corporations that own coal companies and whether they also own gas stations.

This makes E an obvious choice for me.

Hope it helps.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 00:33
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2019, 00:33

Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics