It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 01:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Less than 3 weeks out. Need advice fast.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Less than 3 weeks out. Need advice fast. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 10:14
Hello guys, new to forum.

So background first. I joined a coaching for GMAT back in august, total waste of money. Irregular classes, no clarity of concept.
Around mid oct I realised i need to look elsewhere. I decided to go with Magoosh.

Went through all the video lessons which took a lot of time. Mostly quant because i suck at it big time.
Still some concepts like coordinate geometry and probability aren't 100% clear.

Fast forward to nov 12, took the veritas mock, scored 530/40. dont remember exactly. q35 v29.
nov 22 & 23 580 on gmat prep and veritas both on consecutive days. q41 v29.
Today I took another mock on veritas. I was expecting to score somewhere between 620-640 which if i did would enable me to reach my target score of 680+ easily.
I had prepared quite a bit.

Sadly i scored just 590. q41 and v30.

The thing is I felt for sure id score more in quant because this was the first mock I was actually 'getting the questions'. Verbal score would be more but there was this passage i couldn't make head or tails of which is why i believe the score was a mere 30.

My gmat is on 22nd. I'll need atleast a day for IR & awa and another for flying out to my test centre. So that leaves me with just 15/16 days. :(

I desperately need to get my target score. I'd appreciate any pointers you guys could give me.

For reference, materials i have are. 2 extra gmat prep tests i bought, 4 veritas mocks, OG and magoosh. I have around 230 questions left in both the sections on magoosh. OG, I have the entire verbal section left, the data sufficiency and half the PS questions.
In addition I also have 9 gmat club tests given to me by my cousin.

Any advice would help. I plan on spending atleast 8-10 hours/day and not leaving my room lol. Thanks

Magoosh Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 745 [0], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 11:34
Hi Somuk

With 20 days to go, you should focus on whatever official material you could get
your hands on. I would recommend you to buy the GMATPrep Question Pack
and work on it.

Take only official tests: the two tests you bought and the free GMATPrep tests
(available on mba.com) which you most probably have

Start taking official tests and analyze what is the reason for the low score?
Work on those topics and give another test before the next week. Ideally,
try and give a mock a week and spend the time fixing the problem areas.

Some links which you might find helpful
GMATClub Quantitative Mega-thread : https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html
RC Strategy Guide : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

Try and solve all the questions in the OG and the Question Pack and analyze
your mistakes in detail. This alone should help you to improve your score by
20-30 points. The Quantititave Mega thread contains all the basic formulae
and concepts tests on the GMAT. The GMATClub Quant tests are good to
improve your score once you start hitting the Q45 level.

Hope this helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 745 [0], given: 19

V

Kudos [?]: 350 [0], given: 31

WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 12:00
Somuk wrote:

So background first. I joined a coaching for GMAT back in august, total waste of money. Irregular classes, no clarity of concept.
Around mid oct I realised i need to look elsewhere. I decided to go with Magoosh.

Went through all the video lessons which took a lot of time. Mostly quant because i suck at it big time.

Fast forward to nov 12, took the veritas mock, scored 530/40. dont remember exactly. q35 v29.
Today I took another mock on veritas. I was expecting to score somewhere between 620-640 which if i did would enable me to reach my target score of 680+ easily.

The thing is I felt for sure id score more in quant because this was the first mock I was actually 'getting the questions'. Verbal score would be more but there was this passage i couldn't make head or tails of which is why i believe the score was a mere 30.

My gmat is on 22nd. I'll need atleast a day for IR & awa and another for flying out to my test centre. So that leaves me with just 15/16 days. :(

I desperately need to get my target score. I'd appreciate any pointers you guys could give me.

For reference, materials i have are. 2 extra gmat prep tests i bought, 4 veritas mocks, OG and magoosh. I have around 230 questions left in both the sections on magoosh. OG, I have the entire verbal section left, the data sufficiency and half the PS questions.

Any advice would help. I plan on spending atleast 8-10 hours/day and not leaving my room lol. Thanks

Hi Somuk,

I think you should focus on your verbal section a bit more. However, given how close your GMAT date is, I personally do not think one should adopt any new method on the final leg of their GMAT Preparation. It may be nice to give a couple of mocks (the official ones) and work on your weaknesses, but trying something new might not work in anyone’s favour. Complete the OG and also consider buying the GMATPREP QP1 for some great official questions. However if you want to improve on any individual area such as Sentence Correction, you may subscribe to the E-gmat SC course as you can finish the whole course in 10 days (with proper dedication). If however you are only looking to indentify and improve on your weak areas, I would encourage you to purchase the e-gmat scholaranium. It is without a doubt, one of the best practice tools for verbal and will indeed help you on the final leg of your preparations. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 350 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 12:46
rohan2345 wrote:
Somuk wrote:

Hi Somuk,

I think you should focus on your verbal section a bit more. However, given how close your GMAT date is, I personally do not think one should adopt any new method on the final leg of their GMAT Preparation. It may be nice to give a couple of mocks (the official ones) and work on your weaknesses, but trying something new might not work in anyone’s favour. Complete the OG and also consider buying the GMATPREP QP1 for some great official questions. However if you want to improve on any individual area such as Sentence Correction, you may subscribe to the E-gmat SC course as you can finish the whole course in 10 days (with proper dedication). If however you are only looking to indentify and improve on your weak areas, I would encourage you to purchase the e-gmat scholaranium. It is without a doubt, one of the best practice tools for verbal and will indeed help you on the final leg of your preparations. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Hope this helps. All the best.

Hey, thanks. I'll do what you adviced. Already have 9/15 gmat club tests. Also I had sc aristotle and magoosh. don't you think too much stuff would be confusing? i definitely intend on finishing the og asap.
and i also have gmat prep ep1. plan on taking one of the mocks in 6-8 days

Less than 3 weeks out. Need advice fast.   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2017, 12:46

Less than 3 weeks out. Need advice fast.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap