GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 07:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Letter of Recommendation from Alum/Mentor I've never worked with?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.3
Letter of Recommendation from Alum/Mentor I've never worked with?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 15:26
I am looking for some advice on how to handle the following situation:

I work for a financial consulting firm and I'm applying to Booth's weekend MBA program (from out of state) and already have letters of recommendation from my current Director, and former Associate Director who left to to take a Controller position at tech company eyeing an IPO. Both of these letters of recommendation are coming from people I direct report/reported to for over 2 years and after discussing my application with them I believe they will give me very strong letters of recommendation.

Through a family member I have also had a mentor for the past three years that I have become very close friends with who offered to write me a letter of recommendation. He has a very impressive background and resume: an alumnus of Booth, currently the CFO of a publicly traded global manufacturer, board member of multiple charitable foundations in our city. Although a lot of our relationships is about professional development and career advice, I have never worked for him. In addition Booth's application seems pretty strict on only needing 2 letters of recommendation. Is it better to use an alumnus with an impressive background over someone I directly reported to? Is there another way I can leverage his willingness to help me get in to Booth on my application?

Thanks!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Letter of Recommendation from Alum/Mentor I've never worked with?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2019, 20:15
Hi there,
For your actual recommendations, choose individuals who can comment best on your work and strengths and accomplishments. Perhaps the alum/mentor can still reach out to Booth admissions, as an alum, and suggest they have a close look at your application.

In fact, Booth does offer online opportunities for alumni to recommend/support an applicant, see:
https://www.chicagobooth.edu/shapethecl ... mmend.aspx

Hope that helps!

Letter of Recommendation from Alum/Mentor I've never worked with?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap