GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 06:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Libraries remain valuable repositories of books,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Libraries remain valuable repositories of books,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2013, 22:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:27) correct 53% (01:41) wrong based on 702 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Libraries remain valuable repositories of books, publications, and research anthologies, but they are also places to access email, to use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and develop computer skills, look for jobs, and seek information about government benefits.

1 of books, publications, and research anthologies, but they are also places to access email, to use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and develop computer skills, look for jobs, and

2 of books, publications, and research anthologies, but they are also places to access email, use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and develop computer skills, look for jobs, and

3 for books, publications, and research anthologies, but they are also places to access email, use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and for developing computer skills, looking for jobs, and to

4 of books, publications, and research anthologies, but they are also places to access e-mail and use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and to develop computer skills, look for jobs, and

5 for books, publications, and research anthologies, but they are also places to access email and use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and to develop computer skills and look for jobs, and to

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Libraries remain valuable repositories of books, publication  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2013, 22:39
fozzzy wrote:
Libraries remain valuable repositories of books, publications, and research anthologies, but they are also places to access email, to use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and develop computer skills, look for jobs, and seek information about government benefits.

1 of books, publications, and research anthologies, but they are also places to access email, to use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and develop computer skills, look for jobs, and

2 of books, publications, and research anthologies, but they are also places to access email, use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and develop computer skills, look for jobs, and

3 for books, publications, and research anthologies, but they are also places to access email, use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and for developing computer skills, looking for jobs, and to

4 of books, publications, and research anthologies, but they are also places to access e-mail and use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and to develop computer skills, look for jobs, and

5 for books, publications, and research anthologies, but they are also places to access email and use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and to develop computer skills and look for jobs, and to

Concept tested : Parallelism

Parallel Elements :
Parallelism marker : and
to access email and to use the Internet
to develop computer skills, look for jobs, and seek information about government benefits.

Answer D.
VP
VP
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2013, 00:11
fozzzy wrote:

We need to make the list of items parallel to each other, on observation, we see that only D does that properly
Always keep in mind that we need to make the list simillar to the item which is just before the "and"

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2013, 04:32
Here the real problem is that we have two things on one side parallel and three other things on the other side.

The other three things: OR you put TO in ALL 3 items OR only in the first one NOT in the first and third one. Is wrong...

Though in my opinion is not the top as question. it seems a bit inconsistent

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2013, 22:27
This question is unusual. Although it tests parallelism, it makes use of the dash.

Here the dash is used to emphasize a point. The dash could also be used to set off independent clauses.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Libraries remain valuable repositories of books, publication  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 May 2017, 02:45

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Originally posted by honchos on 05 Mar 2014, 21:25.
Last edited by broall on 31 May 2017, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 21:26
The Company Veritas Gives its solution like this-

D. This question tests parallel structure of a series of events, and delves into logic with the logical grouping of certain events. In the original sentence, the first two events in the series are led with "to" ("to access, to use") and the third does not possess the parallel connector "to" ("and develop"). Because it's not parallel, it's incorrect.

While you examine that first sentence, you should note that there are two grouped series of events - one about using the internet (access email / use the internet) and the other about job search (develop skills, look for jobs, seek information). In the original, the latter three are grouped, and you should see that the first two have a logical grouping, too. So in the correct answer choice, D, the fact that "to access...and use" is one item and "and to develop, look, and seek" is a second makes that two-part list parallel and the individual lists within each are also parallel.

In the other incorrect answer choices, parallel structure is broken either between the two families of events, or within the second series of events.

My Doubt:
I believe B also has the element of parallelism.

to access email, use the Internet.......and develop computer skills

Example

to X, Y and Z

I believe this is also in parallel, because to can be used only Once.

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 21:28
I have requested its solution from e-gmat.com.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2014, 04:40
The only issue I see with B is it is missing to develop computer skills. D fixes this issue hence the answer.

Parallelism is satisfied in D as follows:

to access email, use internet and to develop computer skills, look for jobs

honchos wrote:

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2014, 04:57
The answer options can be rephrased as below.

A. to access email, to use the Internet and develop computer skills, look for jobs, and seek information about government benefits.
B. to access email, use the Internet and develop computer skills, look for jobs, and seek information about government benefits. [Seems fine]
C. to access email, use the Internet and for developing computer skills, looking for jobs, and to seek information about government benefits. [Violates Parallelism]
D. to access e-mail and use the Internet and to develop computer skills, look for jobs, and seek information about government benefits. [Seems fine]
E. to access email and use the Internet and to develop computer skills and look for jobs, and to seek information about government benefits. [the 'and' must be a comma to show a list.]

So, it is between B and D.

Both B and D seem correct to me.

I chose B. I didn't like D because I would rather say ' to access internet and use the email' than saying 'to access email and use the internet'.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2014, 05:03
True!

Veritas entire question Bank is difficult++

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2014, 05:05
gmatprav wrote:
The only issue I see with B is it is missing to develop computer skills. D fixes this issue hence the answer.

honchos wrote:

'to develop computer skills' will be wrong in B, because there is no conjunction between 'access email' and 'use the Internet'.
---------------------------------------
Press +1 Kudos if this post helped you.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2014, 05:30
In B the "and" before develop is what is causing trouble IMO. It is improperly placed, it is either "and to develop" or the "and" should be removed entirely to have continuation.

It is either

"to access email, use internet, develop computer skills, look for jobs ..."
or
"to access email, use internet and to develop computer skills, look for jobs..."

There is no such confusion with D.

gmatter0913 wrote:
gmatprav wrote:

honchos wrote:

'to develop computer skills' will be wrong in B, because there is no conjunction between 'access email' and 'use the Internet'.
---------------------------------------
Press +1 Kudos if this post helped you.

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-05-2013
GPA: 3.79
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Libraries remain valuable repositories of books,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 05:37
Can anyone explain why choice B (2) is not parallel?

...they are also places to
(1) access email,
(2) use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and develop computer skills,
(3) look for jobs,
(4) and seek information about government benefits.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 02:27
btg9788 wrote:
This question is unusual. Although it tests parallelism, it makes use of the dash.

Here the dash is used to emphasize a point. The dash could also be used to set off independent clauses.

IMO,
this is quite ambiguous sentence..
in ans. option B,der seems to b bettr parallelism..

it says,

libraries are places to access email,use internet and develop comp. skills,look for jobs and seek.....

Highly confused bcz D doesnt really maintain such an exclusive parallelism..wat say?

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 03:50
fozzzy wrote:

I found the differences between B and D. You cannot put "and" in the middle of parallel phrase.

B: (access email, use the Internet) and (develop computer skills, look for jobs), and (seek...)

D: to (access email and use the Internet) and to (develop computer, look for jobs, and seek)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 08:05
nghobaotran wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

I found the differences between B and D. You cannot put "and" in the middle of parallel phrase.

B: (access email, use the Internet) and (develop computer skills, look for jobs), and (seek...)

D: to (access email and use the Internet) and to (develop computer, look for jobs, and seek)

Hello friend.. :)

there are basically 4 entities which we need to show that they are parallel..

here,use internet and develop computer skill is one of the 4 entities in the list..it also makes sense to keep "use internet and develop comp. skills in one entity as one can learn comp. skills through making the use of internet...

for eg.

i like cycling,wearing the costume and swimming,and running.. ;)

In D however,ders no point in separating the list because all the entities are talking about the uses of internet access in library..
if u want to seperate the list of entities using and, then both the lists should be talking about different subjects,idea or topic..

although both B and D may b gramatically correct,but B makes it parallel more appropriately..

Wat say?

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 07:24
fozzzy wrote:

4 valuable repositories, but they are also places to access e-mail and use the Internet – approximately 100 million Americans do not have a high-speed connection at home – and to develop computer skills, look for jobs, and

There are parallel entities in this sentence-

1) Libraries remain valuable repositories valuable of books, publications, and research anthologies
2) places to access email and to develop computer skills
3) access email and use the internet
4) develop computer skills, look for jobs, and seek information

Only option D states all the parallel elements correctly .

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 13:59
The use of hyphen is not appropriate in the original sentence and all of the options. The usage of "And" signifying parallelism is uniform in Option D hence the best out of the worst!
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 19:16
fozzzy wrote:

If D is plugged into the original sentence one arm of the parallel structure reads as:

"libraries are places to develop computer skills" doesn't it sound awkward?

On the other hand, if B is plugged into the original sentence and individual arms are -

"libraries are places to access email"
"libraries are places to use the internet and develop computer skills"
"libraries are places to look for jobs"
"libraries are places to seek information about government benefits"

Between B & D - B sounds better to me
Re: Libraries remain valuable repositories of books, &nbs [#permalink] 23 Aug 2016, 19:16

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

Libraries remain valuable repositories of books,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap