Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
I need the work/life balance. I'm an equities trader now and if I can get a similar job after school, that would be perfect. I'm on the west coast. How's this sound. Get in work at 6:30AM, get fed breakfast and lunch (company pays and delivers, but you have to eat at your desk) and leave work at 1:30 (2:00 tops). My pay is crap right now, but looking to change that soon.

I wondered how that worked in west coast. Some traders get in to work in NYC at 6:30am. How do you do the same in west coast?

yeah, depends on the firm you work at. Some firms require the west coast traders to come in at 4:30 AM. About 5 years ago, the traders at my cmpany were required to come in at 5 AM.

When I was a trading assistant at another firm, they said not to answer phones before 6:30 AM. All of the assistants strolled in at about 6:40 AM. The traders 6:00 AM.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Life Balance [#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:

Dude, shrink down your avatar. It's crowding the whole screen making the posts look tiny.

Actually, and I know this won't happen, but can all of you guys shrink down your avatars, esp you rhyme!!! It's really ahrd to make it look like I'm working when there's a pic of someone holding a sign that reads "goatse."

hehehe
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
dukes wrote:
rhyme wrote:
50 to 60 hours. Max. My goal is not the most amount of money, but the most amount of happiness. I've learned that they dont always go hand in hand.

This means

no IB
no MC

It means:
Brand Mgmt
Corporate Finance
General Mgmt
etc..

I thought you were thinking about MC.

If its MC with Bain or McKinsey or BAH or some other ultra-elite, then I'd probably do it. The exit opportunities are just too big. Would I go work for some boutique consulting firm and travel like a moron with no brand recognition? No.

You're going to GSB, so odds are you'll end up an one of the those places.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
rhyme wrote:
dukes wrote:
rhyme wrote:
50 to 60 hours. Max. My goal is not the most amount of money, but the most amount of happiness. I've learned that they dont always go hand in hand.

This means

no IB
no MC

It means:
Brand Mgmt
Corporate Finance
General Mgmt
etc..

If its MC with Bain or McKinsey or BAH or some other ultra-elite, then I'd probably do it. The exit opportunities are just too big. Would I go work for some boutique consulting firm and travel like a moron with no brand recognition? No.

You're going to GSB, so odds are you'll end up an one of the those places.

A nice thought but I think you overestimate the strength of the GSB brand.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
dukes wrote:
rhyme wrote:

This means

no IB
no MC

It means:
Brand Mgmt
Corporate Finance
General Mgmt
etc..

You would if they flew you first class, put you up in the Phonenician in Phoenix, and shelled out $200K year. 10 years of living out of a briefcase in between airports and you could semi-retire.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
A nice thought but I think you overestimate the strength of the GSB brand.[/quote]

Rhyme - Doesn't GSM place lots of people at those elite consulting companies every year?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
So why am I thinking of doing IB? Because I have always dreamed of owning exoctic cars like the Pagani Zonda. I'm not really sure if I will hate it or love it, but now (at 27) is the time for me to go big or go home. Hopefully I can live with totally depriving myself of life for 2 years :?

I sort of see it the same way. Its possible that I will have just turned 27 when I graduate from b-school. If I can land with a top MC firm and enjoy the work and can stick it out for 6-8 years I will have set myself up very well for the future and can be pretty selective about what I want to do going forward.

Originally posted by dukes on 13 Mar 2007, 10:15.
Last edited by dukes on 13 Mar 2007, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Quote:
A nice thought but I think you overestimate the strength of the GSB brand

Rhyme - Doesn't GSM place lots of people at those elite consulting companies every year?

Yes, it does but I think sometimes people forget that its still competitive to get those jobs.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
dukes wrote:
rhyme wrote:

This means

no IB
no MC

It means:
Brand Mgmt
Corporate Finance
General Mgmt
etc..

You would if they flew you first class, put you up in the Phonenician in Phoenix, and shelled out $200K year. 10 years of living out of a briefcase in between airports and you could semi-retire.

Youv'e been drinking too much MC koolaid.

You'll fly economy plus, and if there is space, you'll get bumped to business. Otherwise, enjoy cattle class. You wont have a confirmed business seat, and I dont know of any consultants at BAH, Bain, etc that fly first class unless its a logn term assignment in a foreign country - and even then, its usually just business (though confirmed in that case ). In which case, you fly out there and stay out there in corporate housing.

You won't stay at the Phonenician in Pheonix, cause for starters, its a resort on a golf course in Scottsdale, not a hotel in the heart of the business district. You'll stay at a hilton or a marriot. You'll rent a midsize car from hertz, not a convertible S-type jag. You'll eat steak dinners on occasion, but you'll eat order in chinese food and hotel room service overcooked burgers more often. You'll make $120K, not $200K and you'll miss parties and events when your flights get cancelled or delayed.

You'll spend your time learning how to become a jack of all trades and a king of none. You'll know twenty industries a little bit, but not one industry well. You'll learn to be a bullshitter and you'll learn how to use chevrons in powerpoint. You'll live a life at hotels, and you'll see the front desk receptionist more than you see your wife.

MC is not bad stuff, but dont forget reality.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme,

I've been drinking the Kool Aid, and when I was reading your post above, this is what I saw:

"Bain...fly first class...resort on a golf course...S-type jag...steak dinners...$200K...."

Awesome, just what I wanted to hear!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:

This means

no IB
no MC

It means:
Brand Mgmt
Corporate Finance
General Mgmt
etc..

i like how brand management went from your "no" section to your "possibly yes" section.

i'll pat myself on the back, hopefully i had at least a small iota to do with that. my work here is done!

8-)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
bulishona wrote:
i like how brand management went from your "no" section to your "possibly yes" section.

i'll pat myself on the back, hopefully i had at least a small iota to do with that. my work here is done!

8-)

I heard that brand management companies are not located in major cities. That might be a drag if you're a city boy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
bulishona wrote:

8-)

I heard that brand management companies are not located in major cities. That might be a drag if you're a city boy.

I dont know if I'd agree. Kraft, Pepsi, Colgate, Quaker Oats, - granted, all CPGs, are all in chicago, and there's probably a ton more.. Note also that brand mgmt isnt really a company description - its a job description -
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Brand management is just part of marketing, no? So basically any major corporation will have brand managers?

I think what Kidderek means is that you're more likely to find a giant Coca Cola or Hasbro office building situated in an office park ten or twenty minutes outside of a major city than you are to find that company headquarters in the financial district of a bustling metropolis.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2