Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [10]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [2]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Re: Like Byron at Missolonghi, Jack London was slowly killed by the mistak [#permalink]
bipolarbear wrote:
Aren't you comparing the MANNER in which Byron died to the MANNER in which London died?

(A) suggests that Jack, like Byron -> Jack had similar traits to Byron

yes, you are right. we are comparing the Manner only. A is just doing that? is n't it?

Like Byron at Missolonghi, Jack London was slowly killed by the mistakes of the medical men who treated him

what is the OE on this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Re: Like Byron at Missolonghi, Jack London was slowly killed by the mistak [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Tricky one. Question is - what is being compared.. the person or his death.
What is the source ?

Will go with A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
I think, multiple options are correct grammatically in here. So, I will go with the original sentence.

I don't think it's correct GMAT based question, as there are correct options for both noun comparison and action(verb) comparison.

Opinions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
bipolarbear wrote:
Like Byron at Missolonghi, Jack London was slowly killed by the mistakes of the medical men who treated him.

A Like Byron
B Like Byron's death
C Just as Byron died
D Similar to Byron
E As did Byron

I don't find it dicey. It's pretty clear, I guess.

Let me try to explain.
Standard comparison is done like - 'Like X, Y is...' & then description about Y. Here, X is more like one example of Y.

Moreover, 'death' is not same as 'killed'. So B & C goes out. Starting sentence with 'similar to' is not a good practice. 'as' or 'like' are better choices. E is odd.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
alpeshvc wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
Like Byron at Missolonghi, Jack London was slowly killed by the mistakes of the medical men who treated him.

A Like Byron
B Like Byron's death
C Just as Byron died
D Similar to Byron
E As did Byron

Let me try to explain.
Standard comparison is done like - 'Like X, Y is...' & then description about Y. Here, X is more like one example of Y.

Moreover, 'death' is not same as 'killed'. So B & C goes out. Starting sentence with 'similar to' is not a good practice. 'as' or 'like' are better choices. E is odd.

Now I agree that A is the only option!
E is wrong because of 'did'. Action is performed by medical men and not by Byron.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Send PM
oa ia A, lesson is don't overthink :-D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Kudos
For a modifier, it has to modify the very first thing that follows the modifier. In this case, it's not the "death" that follows, but Jack London; therefore, the modifier has to focus on the name of the other person, and in this case it's Byron. If the clause following the modifier were to say "Jack London's death", then the story would be completely different in terms of what the modifier should be.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q50  V41
Send PM
bipolarbear wrote:

A Like Byron
B Like Byron's death
C Just as Byron died
D Similar to Byron
E As did Byron

I go for A also, even though still not sure about D. How should we use "similar to"?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Hello Sir,

I have a doubt regarding what is compared here. Although usage of like is correct grammatically. But it seems its not like noun we are comparing.

Even if noun is correct, can you please tell how we can make it correct with the usage of "as".

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I have no idea how to eliminate the answer choices. Can anyone help me to epxlain the reason why one answer choice is better than the others?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
alpeshvc wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:

A Like Byron
B Like Byron's death
C Just as Byron died
D Similar to Byron
E As did Byron

Let me try to explain.

Hi, I still don't understand why ''Similar to" cannot work in choice C. Can you explain it further?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts