GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Literature Expert: Great pieces of literature have often caused outrag

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Literature Expert: Great pieces of literature have often caused outrag  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 23:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:46) correct 54% (01:33) wrong based on 170 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Literature Expert: Great pieces of literature have often caused outrage among the public when first published; for example Ulysses by James Joyce was banned for years due to its alleged obscenity, and Walt Whitman’s poem collection, Leaves of Grass, was banned for its use of explicit language. So, since literature often causes outrage and shock, we should not limit the use of public funds to support books that many people find obscene.

Which of the following is an assumption that the literature expert’s argument requires in order to properly come to his or her conclusion?

A. Most literature is obscene.
    B. James Joyce and Walt Whitman received public funding for their writing.
    C. Literature was more shocking in the past.
    D. Public funds should be used to support literature.
    E. Literature should not be shocking or obscene.

LSAT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Literature Expert: Great pieces of literature have often caused outrag  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Aug 2018, 00:59
Official Explanation

The best answer is D. This is an assumption question. The author of the argument must be assuming that public funds should be used to support literature, or nothing else in the argument would make any sense at all. If public funds should not be used to support literature, any discussion of what type of literature ought to be supported would be meaningless. The statements made in the other answer choices might or might not be true, but they are not assumptions necessary to connect the stated evidence of the stimulus argument to its conclusion.

Hit Kudos :thumbup:

Originally posted by AshutoshB on 01 Aug 2018, 00:02.
Last edited by AshutoshB on 02 Aug 2018, 00:59, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Literature Expert: Great pieces of literature have often caused outrag  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 02:23
Is it D? Based on scope alone, I choose D.

It presents a reasoning logic and then changes the scope to public funds in the conclusion.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Literature Expert: Great pieces of literature have often caused outrag  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 19:04
If we negate the answer choices only D withstands. Other options are out of scope and has no effect in conclusion if we negate it.

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 19:04
If we negate the answer choices only D withstands. Other options are out of scope and has no effect in conclusion if we negate it.

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 19:11
B is focusing on evidence not argument ... Plz correct me if I am wrong

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 22:45
Krishaa12 wrote:
B is focusing on evidence not argument ... Plz correct me if I am wrong

Posted from my mobile device

The evidence/fact in the argument are the first two sentences in the argument. Option B is a far-fetched opinion, I think.
How do we even know it it is true? It cannot be an assumption. It is also not an inference.

Also - please note: argument = Evidence/Fact + opinion/conclusion. I would suggest you be specific in your reference (I assume you meant conclusion when you said argument above). Being specific in our question/articulation helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Literature Expert: Great pieces of literature have often caused outrag &nbs [#permalink] 06 Aug 2018, 22:45

Literature Expert: Great pieces of literature have often caused outrag

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap