GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 13:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Live chat with Tuck Adcom - Ask us Anything - April 22nd

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GRE 1: Q168 V154

GRE 2: Q169 V152
GPA: 3.49
WE: Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Live chat with Tuck Adcom - Ask us Anything - April 22nd  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2020, 09:54

Ask us Anything. Live Chat with Tuck Admission Directors.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 9 AM PDT | 12 PM EDT | 4 PM GMT | 9:30 PM IST

Signup to get email reminder of this chat.

Join Link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php
Event Description:
Members of Admissions will host an upcoming online chat and we’d love for you to join us! Whether you’d like to know more about the application, careers, the MBA program, or life on campus, this chat will provide all of the great tips and insight you need to apply to Tuck!

Signup to get email reminder of this chat.

------------------------------------ Panelist details ------------------------------------

Megan Creeden - Assistant Director, Admissions Yield
Attachment:
s_creeden_m_394_525_65_s.jpg
s_creeden_m_394_525_65_s.jpg [ 18.48 KiB | Viewed 1633 times ]

Patricia Harrison - Director of Admissions, Evaluation and Yield
Attachment:
F_MW_5-2009_A_A008_480x720_72_RGB_400_495_65_s.jpg
F_MW_5-2009_A_A008_480x720_72_RGB_400_495_65_s.jpg [ 13.24 KiB | Viewed 1643 times ]

Re: Live chat with Tuck Adcom - Ask us Anything - April 22nd  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2020, 05:55

This chat session is happening today in about 2 hours. Join here

Attachment:
An Essential List of (3).png
An Essential List of (3).png [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 1235 times ]

Re: Live chat with Tuck Adcom - Ask us Anything - April 22nd  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2020, 11:15
Transcript from the live chat with Tuck Admissions on "Ask Us Anything"

Hi Everyone! I am Pat Harrison, Director of Evaluation & Yield at Tuck. I am excited to take your questions today!

Hi all, thank you for joining us! My name is Megan Creeden and I am Assistant Director, Yield at Tuck. In my role, I have the chance to work closely with our current student community and am here to help you all get connected to Tuck over the course of the application process. Looking forward to chatting with you today!

I quit my job last October as I went to explore my next steps in my career and went back to my home country to visit my parents. I plan to take an internship this summer. I think this gap becomes a weakness in my application. How should I address it in my application?

It all comes down to how you explain your gap. Please use the optional essay to talk about your reasons for leaving your prior job, what you did during your time off, what you gained from the experience, and what you will be doing going forward.

How do we compensate for a low GPA? I met with an accident and it took me almost a year to recover. I’m having a GMAT score of 670 and some course certificates with volunteering expertise as well.

GMAT and GPA are two of the ways that we assess your readiness to be successful in a rigorous academic program. The grade point average (GPA) is not evaluated in isolation – we consider the rigor of the course load, major, types of classes, and other demands on the applicant’s time, such as working while in school and involvement in extracurricular activities. If you come from a less quantitative background, or if your undergraduate performance was not as strong, you may want to consider taking some classes (financial accounting, statistics, microeconomics, finance, Excel) to demonstrate your ability.

Hi and thank you for answering our questions. As I know you have extended your deadline like a number of other schools, can you let us know what you are seeing in terms of yield from R1 and R2 applicants? Specifically, are there more available seats in these later rounds as compared with earlier years?

The date to enroll from our R2 isn’t until next week, so we do not yet know what yield for that round looks like. We will definitely be admitting applicants from R3, R4 and the waitlist, but I cannot predict how many

I read that all first-years stay in the resident halls. How does that work if I have a family?

Thanks for your question! Many of our Tuck students come to Hanover with partners or Tiny Tuckies, they are an important part of our community. In addition to off-campus options, we also have Sachem Village - Dartmouth owned townhouse-style housing for students with partners and families.

Hi Megan and Pat! I hope everyone is doing well! Does either of you anticipate self-initiated interviews and campus visits being impacted for Round 1 applicants?At this time, we do not know when we will be able to resume on-campus visits and applicant-initiated interviews. We are monitoring the situation and will reopen once it is safe to do so again. In the meantime, we are planning lots of virtual programming for applicants to get to know Tuck.

Could you please throw some light on the method of teaching? What’s the balance between case-method and lectures?

Our faculty teach using a blend of the case, lecture, and experiential learning depending on what is best suited for the subject matter.

How do the prospects for international students, specifically Indians, look for fall 2021 admissions. There’s been a lot of talk going on about deferrals and detainment of admits, competition increasing to a literal bloodbath. Could you guys help us know about the scenario?

The Tuck Class of 2022 is coming together well and we’re as enthusiastic as ever about the rising global leaders who we have seen apply this cycle and who will apply in future cycles. We will continue to admit and enroll students from both international and domestic markets, and, for the current application cycle, we’ve launched a one-time Round 4 application deadline so that students impacted by the coronavirus can continue to apply on a rolling basis until June 1.

Is there any possibility Tuck is taking admissions without GMAT?

We do not currently have any plans to waive the GMAT/GRE requirement.

Could you explain TuckGO and how that works if I have children?

There are several ways to fulfill the TuckGO requirement which allows for flexibility for those with partners or families. While some might opt for a term abroad, other offerings would involve pre-work on campus with a shorter international experience. Learn more about different TuckGO opportunities here: https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/mba/acad ... equirement

hey pat / megan, thanks for coordinating this event! I had originally planned on attending an admissions event/tour this past week in anticipation of an R1 interview this fall. Are there going to be additional opportunities to attend traditional admissions presentations and or attend a virtual class setting this spring? Despite the current pandemic, would love to stay as engaged as possible through this process. Thanks!

We are looking forward to connecting with prospective applicants virtually and starting in May will offer many different types of events through the spring, summer and fall. Please keep an eye on our events page.

Are there scholarships available for Round 3 applicants?

Yes, we anticipate offering scholarships to applicants admitted in Round 3.

When should I expect to hear the updates on waiting list?

All applicants on the waitlist will receive an update on May 7 when we release decisions for our Round 3. At that time you will either receive admission, have your time on the waitlist extended or be released and encouraged to reapply.

I have a masters degree from a top 10 US university and currently working at a tech giant in the west coast. Considering this will be my second masters, how can I secure a scholarship ?

There is no separate application process for Tuck scholarships. Tuck’s admissions and financial aid offices will review the application materials submitted by all candidates for admission. I also encourage you to check out this recent blog post from our director on connecting with Tuck about scholarship awards: https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/mba/blog ... hip-awards

Hi Megan this is Sameer Jain and had applied to tuck for 2020 intake in round 2. I would like to know what measures I can take to improve my chances of getting an admit

If you were placed on the waitlist you should have already received feedback on suggestions for strengthening your candidacy. If you were denied and plan to reapply, you may email the admissions office to request feedback and we will provide that later in the spring/summer.

Firstly, I am inspired by the culture of Tuck from the collaboration internally between students and teachers and externally with companies around the world. I would be interested to know about the opportunities for employment following the MBA programme and how the programme aids students in developing links between academia and industry.

Students at Tuck start working with Career Services even before Tuck launch begins and they are here to support you during your two years and beyond. I encourage you to check out our 2019 employment report to see a breakdown of post-graduation prospects and top employers at Tuck for our most recent class: https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/mba/care ... statistics

Hi Tuck! I was wondering if Tuck was also considering making similar changes like Kellogg?, such as waiving test scores and revisiting R1/R2 candidates?

Tuck will require a complete application including valid test scores. Your scores may be self-reported at the time of application and be confirmed as valid thereafter. While the coronavirus pandemic is an extraordinary circumstance, we need all applicants in an application cycle to submit the same materials for evaluation and cannot selectively waive requirements for Round 3 or Round 4 applicants.

Is there any plan from Tuck to conduct a class in online format for intake 2020? since many countries are being lock down now until uncertain time?

If students are unable to start the program in August, we will have a plan in place for them to attend remotely.

We do not anticipate postponing Tuck Launch, Tuck Recharge, or the start of classes in the fall term. It is our hope and intention for students to be on campus and once again engaging in-person. As with all major decisions that impact the Tuck School, the decision of whether fall term classes will need to be delivered remotely for any amount of time will be guided by two priorities: our community’s health and well-being, and the integrity of our academic mission and values. We will communicate any necessary change in plan as soon as possible. Do know that as we work to manage and mitigate risks associated with the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, our top priority is the health and safety of everyone in our community.

What is some of the courses can an applicant from engineering background take to improve their profile?

Financial accounting, statistics, microeconomics, finance, Excel) are the courses we might recommend to demonstrate ability if you come from a less quantitative background, or if your undergraduate performance was not as strong. While not required, these may also be helpful in brushing up some of your knowledge or skillset in advance of starting the MBA.

Do you expect a lot of spots to open up in the extended deadline given that prior admits might look towards deferring?

At this point we have not seen many students change their plans, and we are working on plans so students may still attend virtually if they are not able to start in person classes in August. The situation is quite fluid, so we cannot make a prediction as to what will happen. We do expect to still admit students from R3, R4 and the waitlist in the coming months.

Hi, Are you seeing a spike in the deferral requests from international students? specially countries like india?

At this point we have not seen an increase in requests for deferrals.

Questions we have received from the sign up: As part of my application I am looking to move the USA, to do so I would also want to bring my partner with me. Is this something that many students do and are there opportunities for partners to be involved with life at Tuck?

About one-third of the class has a partner. Partners are fully integrated into the Tuck community. They can participate in clubs and activities, audit elective classes, and there is a very active partner club. They get the best of both worlds!

Interim GMAT as compared to the normal GMAT is more complicated,due to the factors as not using scratch paper and the time relaxations which have been decreased. Would there be any chances of leniency as compared to the selection for interim GMAT candidates?

We never look at test scores in isolation. We will evaluate your scores along with your educational performance to determine your readiness for the academic program.

What sets your campus culture apart from others?

A lot of what makes our campus culture unique can be tied to the size of the program, our location, and the focus on the MBA. Tuck is an incredibly tight knit community where you will know and have the chance to sit in class with all of your 284 fellow classmates. Our location in Hanover, our small class size, and the fact that we only teach to 2 year full time MBA students create an incredibly immersive experience

Hi megan - does Tuck have any plans to allow R1/R2 rejected candidates to resubmit their candidacy during R3/R4?

No, we will not be reconsidering candidates who have already received an admissions decision; however, we encourage you to reapply in the fall if you are interested in Tuck.

While considering applications for MBA, does admin committee considers other major courses which candidate is pursuing like ACCA or actuarial science.

In evaluating our smart criterion, we will look at your undergraduate or graduate record, GMAT/GRE, and any supplemental coursework or certifications

Hi Pat and Megan. Hope all’s well at your end. I was planning on applying for the upcoming R1 (class of 23). But owing to the global circumstance and the extended R4 (class of 22), I am tempted to apply and complete my MBA a year earlier. I am a little confused at applying for R4. On 1 hand I feel that in the unfortunate case I have to apply again during R1 I will not be able to show much improvement between R4 and R1. How will applying in R4 and then again in R1 as a re-applicant be viewed considering there will not be much time between the Rounds to show an improvement?

You should apply when it makes the most sense for your plans. If that is in Round 4, and you are ready to apply, then that is great! How we would view a reapplication after a short period of time will really depend on the specific applicant and what area might need to be strengthened. Some things like raising a test score or clarifying goals can be done in a short period of time.

What are the chances of a 35 year old getting thru? Assuming I meet your gmat needs and work my best on the profile and essay.

Age is not a factor in our evaluation process. While average months worked for our most recent class was 64, the class spans a wide spectrum each year. We will evaluate the quality and relative accomplishment of your work experience whether you are 35 and applying with significant work experience or only a few years out of undergraduate. For any applicant, I encourage you to help us understand through your application materials why the MBA and why now.

Hey Pat/ Megan, It would be really difficult for the international students to get a visa considering the covid situation out there. If this situation continues till late June , Do you have any plans to defer the confirmed admits of international students to fall 2021 ? If yes, should we expect a less number of seats open for 2021 applicants ?

We consider deferral requests on a case by case basis depending on the circumstances surrounding the request. Our plan is to allow students the opportunity to start classes virtually if they cannot start in person in August.

Do you consider the application of a military veteran of a foreign army any differently? What do you see in him?

We evaluate all of our applicants using the same criteria and do not consider any particular group differently. Each applicant should highlight how their individual experiences will enrich the learning environment at Tuck.

Hi Megan and Patricia, if a candidate is ready to apply and doesn’t have a preference between 2020 or 2021 fall start, would you recommend applying in R4 for 2020 start or R1 for 2021 start?

We encourage you to submit your application when it makes most sense for your plans and you feel it is at its best. If you feel ready to apply right now, that’s great! If you think waiting will give you time to clarify goals, work on application materials, or take advantage of new professional opportunities, consider this route. This will really be up to you and your own unique circumstances.

Tuck has already assembled much of the incoming class through earlier rounds. What’s top of mind for Tuck adcom as they review round 3/late-stage apps? Are there any differences in approach or priorities to find applicants that complement/round out the class?

Every applicant, regardless of round, should focus on being them self and highlight their strengths. We are always looking for the strongest applicants who best meet our 4 admissions criteria. That doesn’t change later in the season.

Are scholarships available in Round 4?

We will continue to award scholarship funds to Round 3 & 4 admitted students and those admitted from the waitlist

Could you please expand more on placement opprtunities in Eenergy secor as I would like to be in renewables even post my MBA

I encourage you to explore the opportunities through Tuck’s Revers Center for Energy http://revers.tuck.dartmouth.edu/

Would you suggest applying in the extended deadline for someone with materials ready or waiting for R1, given that it is historically advantageous to apply earlier?

Again, we encourage you to submit your application when it makes most sense for your plans and you feel it is at its best. If you feel ready to apply right now, that’s great! If you think waiting will give you time to clarify goals, work on application materials, or take advantage of new professional opportunities, consider this route. This will really be up to your own unique circumstances.

Hi Tuck Team, I have a question if international GPAs would be looked under a different light when compared to the normal GPA on the 4 scale? Is there any recourse for me If had no good reason for a poor UG GPA other than being immature and concentrating on things outside of academics ? I have been proactively been trying to build an alternative transcript to show I can handle the academic rigor(MBAmath, Harvard Summer School courses) in addition to a good GMAT score.Would the mentioned steps help my cause ?

We do not convert international transcripts to a US 4.0 scale, but we will look to see how successful you were in undergrad. If you did not perform as well as you had hoped, we encourage you to use the optional essay to explain why and to demonstrate your academic ability (a strong GMAT/GRE score, subsequent classes, etc.)

Live chat with Tuck Adcom - Ask us Anything - April 22nd  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2020, 11:27

Some of the following questions were not answered due to the lack of time.

Would visiting the campus for international students make a significant impact in the application versus a virtual interview on skype?

Does Tuck plan to add some events such as Virtual Tour? I was really hoping to visit Tuck in March but then US-Canada borders were closed. Also, it would good to have more events using video. Online events on your website reach full capacity within no time, so it’s hard to enroll for more events, making it harder to learn more about the culture and opportunities at Tuck?

Does the experience work to develop marketing strategies and growth strategies for different entrepreneurial firms count on my resume? or should I just mention the full-time position only?

Will admitted candidates be considered for scholarships/funding in the extended MBA round?

I read that the Tuck admits have the best faith rate (not deferring, canceling admission due to COVID), how many seats can we expect open in round 3?

Are you allowing admitted candidates for 2022 to defer their programs? If yes, then will the batch size for next year (2023) be affected or is Tuck planning to increase the batch size to accommodate the deferred candidates?

Do you have to be married to bring the partner to campus? or are there any specific protocols?

Would visiting the campus for international students make a significant impact in the application versus a virtual interview on skype
Live chat with Tuck Adcom - Ask us Anything - April 22nd   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2020, 11:27

Live chat with Tuck Adcom - Ask us Anything - April 22nd

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: texas101, BingingOnNetflix