Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 22:48 It is currently 14 May 2024, 22:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Looking for advice on how to study/when to take GMAT [#permalink]
Aren't they getting ready to change the format? I would study and lock down a score while you know where you stand. Some people will inevitably do better or worse with the format change. Avoid unnecessary risk.
Current Student
Send PM
A very good point - once the new GMAT comes into play in June of 2012, who knows how it will affect scores. I would take it before then, which is certainly enough time.

OldMinolta wrote:
Aren't they getting ready to change the format? I would study and lock down a score while you know where you stand. Some people will inevitably do better or worse with the format change. Avoid unnecessary risk.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
i was in a similar boat as you 3 weeks ago (770 diagnostic)

opted to take the exam sooner rather than later, so i'm doing it this friday!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
also did you go to an ivy? you sound like someone i know
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
I took the second GMAT Prep test tonight and got a 760 49Q 46V. I got 13 questions wrong in Quant though (12 of 13 Data Sufficiency so I know what to study from here on) - does this make any sense? I can't see how you can get 13/37 questions wrong and get a 760 overall but the questions were definitely hard. I know that you get locked in to a certain range of questions and perhaps that is why I came out with a 49. And no, I didn't go to an ivy.
Current Student
Send PM
Search the other threads on this forum, there are several ones that explain the scoring algorithm. Bottom line - it is not based on number or percent of correct answers. Much more significant is the question's degree of difficulty - this determine where the computer will place you in terms of percentile ranking.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
bschoolhopeful1989 wrote:
Hey all,

I am a 2011 college graduate who is thinking about going to B school in 3 or 4 years. I took a practice test through GMATPrep (mba dot com) and scored 730 (49Q 41V) without any preparation. I am debating whether to take the test in September and study for a few months beforehand or wait a few years until my plans are more solid before taking the GMAT. I also wonder about whether to take a prep class or not - I know 730 is a good score but am thinking that 750 or 760 would be even better.

Can anyone give me advice on whether a bump from 730 to 750+ would make a significant difference? Or whether you can "lose" your GMAT skills over a few years? Also, is a class a useful investment, and if so, which one?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Hello

We would advise you to gauge your performance over the time to ensure what score to be able to predict in what range you might score.

There are various ways you can prepare for GMAT. It could be combination of online classes, coaching institutes, practise books and even smart phone applications. Having this combination will be giving you access to different styles and it won’t be monotonous for you.

Dedicate some time to study daily through these different methods. Probably practising the tests will help you gauge your performance and you would know if you are satisfied with your score or not.

Its not just the GMAT that plays an important role but other factors like academics, beyond academics and quality of work you have done that are crucial in determining your candidature. So if you think you can highlight these very well in your application then 20 points up in gmat might not be that difficult. However if you are not confident on the other aspects of your profile then those 20 points will play important role in ensuring your gmat side of the application so you can focus on other aspects.
However a score above 700 is generally considered good when applying to the top b schools.
GMAT Club Bot