GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Mar 2019, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

low 500 with a horrible verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
low 500 with a horrible verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 05:11
Started preparing for gmat 5 weeks ago and immediately started with a low CAT1 440 (Q32, V19).
Initially I did 1 week of study very focused (2 hours a day) mainly concerning quant (since I'm using Empowergmat and following it's 3 months study plan).
Then I did 3 weeks stop for personal purposes and issues.
Then I did another week of study and after that I took CAT2 500 (Q39,V21) .
So at the end of the day I only prepared for 2 weeks mainly quant and few RC but still my score is embarassying.
Any Suggestion for my terrible verbal ? (next week i'll start studying SC since I did all of them wrong in CAT2)
My goal is to reach Q43/45 and V as much as possible aiming at 650+ and I'm really desperate.
please help me
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: low 500 with a horrible verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 05:43
mamu10 wrote:
Started preparing for gmat 5 weeks ago and immediately started with a low CAT1 440 (Q32, V19).
Initially I did 1 week of study very focused (2 hours a day) mainly concerning quant (since I'm using Empowergmat and following it's 3 months study plan).
Then I did 3 weeks stop for personal purposes and issues.
Then I did another week of study and after that I took CAT2 500 (Q39,V21) .
So at the end of the day I only prepared for 2 weeks mainly quant and few RC but still my score is embarassying.
Any Suggestion for my terrible verbal ? (next week i'll start studying SC since I did all of them wrong in CAT2)
My goal is to reach Q43/45 and V as much as possible aiming at 650+ and I'm really desperate.
please help me

Hi mamu10,

Welcome to GMATCLUB. You should study for around 2-3 months to improve your score. It’s a good thing you have taken a GMAT once. You now know your weaknesses and work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I think you need to solidify you base and adopt a proper technique to answer the questions. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course.

Your choice of EmpowerGMAT is great. It is indeed an amazing course and covers the entire syllabus very well.

For verbal,you can also consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 07:47
Hi mamu10.

Many people who end up scoring very high on the GMAT start off scoring well below their score goals. So, your experience is not at all unusual. Further, with just a couple of weeks worth of prep, you drove your verbal score up 2 points, your quant score up 7 points, and your total score up 60 points. You made GREAT progress.

If you want some ideas on how to stay motivated and develop a winning mindset, you could check out the following post. Developing the Proper Mindset For GMAT Success

Meanwhile, to hit your score goal, you just have to keep making similar progress by continuing to prepare effectively.

Generally speaking, the most effective way to prepare for the GMAT is to work topic by topic, mastering one topic at a time by learning key concepts and then doing dozens of topic specific questions until you totally get how to answer questions of that type. You can see how working in this way would drive your score up point by point. Each time you master answering questions of a particular type, your expected score increases.

Regarding increasing your verbal score, as I said, you should work topic by topic, learning to answer verbal questions one type at a time to give yourself the opportunity to learn to answer questions of one type before moving onto the next type. As you work on each type of verbal question, work in the following way.

Go through dozens of verbal questions of that type and learn to CLEARLY and THOROUGHLY define why each wrong answer is wrong and each right answer is right. When I say "thoroughly," I mean go well beyond using gimmicky reasons like "irrelevant," "too extreme," or "awkward." You need to come up with well developed, logical reasons for eliminating or choosing choices.

For example, if you were working on Weaken the Argument questions, you would not simply call answer choices "irrelevant" or "too extreme." You would carefully analyze the relationships between the answer choices and the passages and come up with a more complete reasons for eliminating them, such as, "This choice weakens the wrong conclusion," or "This choice does not attack the relationship between the premises and the conclusion, but rather seems to attack but does not successfully attack one of the premises."

It may take 20 minutes, or more, per question to analyze verbal in this way at first, but being skilled in this type of analysis is the only way to score high in verbal. So, you need to practice analyzing questions in this way, even questions that you have already seen, and take your time, seeking to speed up by developing skill.

Also, to challenge yourself to really see what's going on in verbal questions, see how many you can get right in a row.

It can take a fair amount of work to move a verbal score higher. So, be ready to analyze a lot of questions, do a lot of practicing, and really develop yourself.

At the same time, you can be sure that by carefully analyzing verbal question after verbal question, you will train yourself to see what's going on in the questions, develop your GMAT verbal skills, and drive your verbal score higher.

For some more ideas on how to hit your score goal, you could read through the following post. How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@TargetTestPrep.com
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 12:55
Hi mamu10,

To start, a 60-point improvement after just 2 weeks of study is a notable achievement. Raising a 440 to a 650+ would almost certainly require at least 3 months of consistent, guided - and that period of time is often how long it takes many Test Takers to hit their 'peak' scores, so you appear to be progressing nicely. It's worth noting that if you are returning to your studies after 3 weeks "off", then you have not been learning and honing skills for 5 weeks - you've studied for just 2 weeks). It's possible that some of the earlier skills that you were developing have 'faded' a bit. As such, you might want to go back and review the material you worked through when you began the EMPOWERgmat Course.

All things considered, there's no data here that should upset you. You're improving, but you still have a lot of work to do. That's 'normal' though - to earn a Score that 80% of Test Takers can't achieve, you have to be committed to the task - and you have to stay calm and focused on doing the proper work.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 22:32
GMAT Club Bot
Re: low 500 with a horrible verbal   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2019, 22:32

low 500 with a horrible verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap