It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low GMAT, High GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Low GMAT, High GPA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 20:02
I got a relatively low GMAT score for top 20 schools. 650 the first time, studied, prepped, and felt prepared to get a 700, but when I retook the exam, I rushed down got a 640.

My undergrad GPA in math (from a state university) was 3.8, and I have about 5yrs experience as a data analyst and product manager. Is this enough to compensate for a GMAT score that is 50 points below the average of my target schools: Cornell and Northwestern? Or should I retake the exam? With less than a month before deadlines, I wonder if I should focus all my efforts on other parts of the application, like the essays (if my current GMAT might be good enough to get me where I want to go).

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton
Re: Low GMAT, High GPA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 18:44
Your GPA is strong, with a background in quant to boot. But GMAT is even more visible, and a statistic dear to schools. It carries more weight (than GPA) in most rankings, and is not just a more recent academic assessment of an applicant, it’s common for all applicants (unlike GPA, which can have overlays of university, country etc.)

A deficit of 50 points is significant. It’s a tough call on retake, given the time constraint you face. If you decide to go ahead with the applications, give your best there. You never know.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1030 [0], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 05:56
Hannah24 wrote:
I got a relatively low GMAT score for top 20 schools. 650 the first time, studied, prepped, and felt prepared to get a 700, but when I retook the exam, I rushed down got a 640.

My undergrad GPA in math (from a state university) was 3.8, and I have about 5yrs experience as a data analyst and product manager. Is this enough to compensate for a GMAT score that is 50 points below the average of my target schools: Cornell and Northwestern? Or should I retake the exam? With less than a month before deadlines, I wonder if I should focus all my efforts on other parts of the application, like the essays (if my current GMAT might be good enough to get me where I want to go).

Posted from my mobile device

Hey dude, you have a great GPA and what seems to be solid work experience. Why waste that on a GMAT that you know you can better?

I'd suggest just hunkering down, studying till June as hard as you can and preparing an application for next year with the best possible GMAT you can come away with.

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 1030 [0], given: 49

Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 11:54
Hi there,

The business school admission process is extremely competitive, and so I always encourage candidates to apply when they are able to put their best foot forward. Your GMAT score will be low for the schools you are looking at. You ultimately make the final decision, but I agree with the post above that you would be putting yourself in a much better position by retaking the GMAT and applying when your score is within range.

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 12:23
I'm not sure your GPA will be able to help you overcome your low GMAT for your target schools. Now the real question is do you think your application is in a good enough place to allow you to retake the GMAT. Given the time crunch it may be too much to ask, but only you can answer that, but your GMAT as i is, will make it particularly tough for you

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Re: Low GMAT, High GPA   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2017, 12:23

Low GMAT, High GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap