GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 19:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Low quant MSc Finance?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Low quant MSc Finance?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 15:37
Hi guys,

I just scored a (710,Q46,V41,IR:8,AWA:5.5) for my gmat. I want to apply for the MSc Finance at HEC and LSE, therefore I was wondering if my quant score would kill my application?
Background: I am a Dutch guy with a BSc degree in Civil Engineering (2:1) and this year I will also have a MSc degree in Civil Engineering (on track for 1st) at a top engineering university in Europe.

Will my engineering background compensate for the quant? Or would it be wise to do a retake?

Kind regards,

Dutchers
MiM-Essay Representative
G
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Low quant MSc Finance?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 06:40
Hey Dutchers,

710 is a good score, so I would not worry about the quant section. As you are an engineer, it showcases that you do have a quant background so that helps as well.
However, you have mentioned that you have done your Bach. as well as your masters in Civil Engineering. You would need to justify why you want to shift to finance after such an extensive experience in engineering, especially for schools like LSE and HEC which are extremely selective and are known to pick only a handful of students from thousands of applicants.

I would strongly suggest you to have more school options.

I also recommend you to not retake the GMAT ( since you already have a good score), instead focus your time and energy into building your profile and working on your application.

I would suggest you to get some finance experience on your resume ( Certifications like CFA , quality internships in Finance would help).

Secondly, your essays will have paramount importance in justifying your reasons to shift to finance and explaining how you plan to use the degree to fulfill your long term goals. So make sure that you spend enough time on your application.

If you want to check out how to create a compelling Masters in Finance application, this link might help : https://www.mim-essay.com/masters-finan ... y-editing/

Good luck!

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

92% Success Rate| 1200+ Admits in Top Schools| 1.8 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 2X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here: http://info.mim-essay.com/book-a-call-today
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 10:02
Hey Abhyank,

I am having a hard time to decide on the Universities best suited for my profile.
I would really appreciate your inputs. I am posting my details below:

Nationality: Indian
Qualification: B.com Honours, University of Delhi and Cleared CFA Level II, Cfa Institute USA
GMAT Score: 660 (Q48 V34), IR 7, AWA (not released-waiting for the result)
Undergrad Score: 78.63% (Considered First division)
Academic Scholarship:
1. Received one for my undergraduate studies.
2. Twice from the CFA Institute - Access Scholarship
High school score: 94.4%
Internship:
1. PepsiCo, India - Finance Department
2. Sabio Capital, an Investment management startup in India
Work Experience:
1. A fin-tech startup in Equity Research - 1 year 4 months - Held positions of responsibility (training of new employees)
2. A Knowledge Process Outsourcing company- 10 months - Corporate FInance - M&A Advisory services - worked on multiple deals

Extracurricular activities:
1. Represented state at the national level in declamation (oration basically, similar to debates) contest
2. Affiliation with Red Cross Society (NGO)
3. Organized various inter-college events as a part of the Debating Society and the Fine Arts Club in college

I intend to apply to European Universities. GMAT:660 - this bothers me but I chose to move on with this. Stockholm School of Economics is my first preference. Other universities that I will be applying to are - NHH Norway, BI Norwegian School of Economics, Lund University (School of Economics and Management), Rotterdam School of Management. Considering my profile and the low GMAT score, I have a few questions:
1. What are my chances of converting the above mentioned schools (esp. Stockholm School and NHH Norway)? Do I stand a chance to win a scholarship in any of these listed schools?
2. What other schools should I send an application to? Does it make sense for me to apply to St Gallen (Switzerland), Bocconi University (Italy), IE Spain, Frankfurt School (Germany), EADA Spain, Esade Spain or Essec (France)?
3. Do you think that my low GMAT score can be compensated with my academics? Do I still have a chance to fetch scholarship?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 12:07
SSE should be hard for you to get in as competition is really intense.

RSM offers places (at least for European Candidates) on a first come first serve Basis. But I could not find out what the Needed GPA for Indian Applicants is. The Gmat needs to be 600 or above which yours is. I do not know about getting scholarships. Other schools you could concentrate on could be Nova Business School or Esade

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 12:15
You should also get easily into Frankfurt School but it costs 36K€ and I guess that you might not get a scholarship covering the most of Tuition Fees. You are not allowed to apply to the MBF at St. Gallen as your Gmat is below 680. If your Academics are really that great (I do not know how they convert) you can maybe have a chance for the MaccFin Program. But it has a much greater focus on Finance. Bocconi could be tough too.

I think you should be a suitable candidate for the Rest of the Schools you have mentioned. But I do not recommend IE because of this extreme high price

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Low quant MSc Finance?   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2019, 12:15

Low quant MSc Finance?

new topic post reply Update application status