Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: low undergrad gpa, high GMAT, good work - should i bother? [#permalink]
thanks everyone for your support....especially rhyme who provided a lot of initial advice and feedback and gmatblackbelt who doesn't know me but i feel like i know from reading about his struggles with the gmat. gmatblackbelt also helped me a little bit when i had some gmat questions back when i studied for it....and i like bj penn so it was always fun looking at his avatar.

i've come a long way since creating this thread...today, i received my early decision phone call from Wharton West.

i applied to 3 EMBA programs...UCLA, Berkeley/Columbia, and Wharton West. i was originally considering applying to USC if i don't get into UCLA but after getting into UCLA early on, there was no need for USC.

UCLA - accepted 1/25 (need to commit by 2/25...hence the early request to wharton)
Berkeley / Columbia - waiting (they are supposed to notify me by 2/29)
Wharton - accepted 2/22

i'm going to wharton. classes start in May.

RVD.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
RVD wrote:
thanks everyone for your support....especially rhyme who provided a lot of initial advice and feedback and gmatblackbelt who doesn't know me but i feel like i know from reading about his struggles with the gmat. gmatblackbelt also helped me a little bit when i had some gmat questions back when i studied for it....and i like bj penn so it was always fun looking at his avatar.

i've come a long way since creating this thread...today, i received my early decision phone call from Wharton West.

i applied to 3 EMBA programs...UCLA, Berkeley/Columbia, and Wharton West. i was originally considering applying to USC if i don't get into UCLA but after getting into UCLA early on, there was no need for USC.

UCLA - accepted 1/25 (need to commit by 2/25...hence the early request to wharton)
Wharton - accepted 2/22

RVD.

Get on with your bad self! That's awesome - I'm thrilled.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
RVD wrote:

Wharton - accepted 2/22

RVD.

Get on with your bad self! That's awesome - I'm thrilled.

thanks a lot! yeah i'm excited.

i even started my new blog...www.whartonblog.com

this forum rocks.

RVD.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
update....

Berkeley / Columbia - accepted 2/25
Wharton - accepted 2/22

i'm 95% sure i'll be going to wharton. i'm debating whether i should even go to the admitted student events at berkeley and ucla. i suppose i might go to the ucla one since it's local but probably not fly up to berkeley.

RVD.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
bravo!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
i figured i would update this thread since it was the original.

we just had our first set of midterms last week. we're taking 3 classes: accounting, managerial economics (microecon), and management of people. the management class is a ton of reading, 2 papers, and a field application project (no midterms or tests).

we had 2 midterms last session on the same day: accounting, econ.

i didn't get my econ results back but i did get my accounting results the next day (prof was fast...he stayed up really late grading everyone's paper).

130 points total. mean was 110. LT cutoff (basically where the bottom 10% cuts off): 96. high score 129. my score...119! i screwed up a few problems but overall i'm happy that i beat the mean by a good margin. i scored roughly around the top 20% of the class! the highest scores came from guys with accounting backgrounds...CPA, CFA, etc.

i didn't get my econ results back so we'll see how i did there.

it's hard and competitive and the program is definitely intense. good luck to anyone else who wants to apply to EMBA programs. but at least i know that i can do the work and i belong here despite my low undergrad GPA.

RVD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
i just thought i'd post a quick reply. wow, it seems like quite awhile ago that i posted this. in any case, i'm done and i graduated!

holla!!!

RVD - Wharton MBA 2010
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congrats RVD :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:HBS
Send PM
What an inspiring story, it just brightened up my day!

Kudos man!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Wharton (WEMBA East)
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Belated congrats, RVD. Your original posts and blog were a big help to me on my road to WEMBA (East). Two more terms to go...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2