Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [17]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Re: Luxembourg MBA is providing a 2 Year Work Permit 4 students [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you so much and highly appreciate your friendly advice. I must say that it is very useful to me as I am not looking for a typical ranked and branded MBA. May be I don't really need that.

I am looking for the knowledge and learning aspects. I personally believe that MBA is not swallow and vomit. To me it is more like a fine dining, you enjoy every bit and cherish for long time. To me, at my career level, I do not require an express train to catapult me from one level to another career level, unlike most of the other MBA aspirants. For me it will be to refresh my foundation, unlearn and learn.

So class composition is very very crucial to me. I am not undermining the faculties but I highly value experience of my fellow professionals, internship, interaction with the industry. During my various management development and leadership development programme, I learned the "REAL" things from fellow participants.

So far it seems that this school quite nicely fits to my objective.

However, I have few more questions and I would highly appreciate your sharing

1. As you mentioned the classes are from 6:30PM to 9:30PM, do you mean that even the full time students are free to work/internship while studying?

2. I understand the programme is for 18-20 months and has different flavours, can you please share the different flavours, including 1 term in US

3. From your post, it was not clear when the internship starts and how long it goes. Generally internships are at the end of the terms but it seems, it runs paralally here. Please share a bit details.

4. You have not mentioned anything about the average salary levels. A rough idea should be quite good. By the way, I am from Singapore and we too have three well known schools here but I am looking for something entirely different!!

5. I am from the Aviation industry, may be can broaden to SCM/Retail/Automobile. Will you be able to share some related companies (except CargoLux) who recruits or provide internship options? the airport?

6. How is the public transport? Is car is a must or can live comfortably with public transport and Taxi? I know it is subjective but some general outline is highly appreciated.

Next few questions are nice to have kinda stuff

7. I believe spouse and kids under 18 can join you as your dependent. Can wife work to kill time? Is there any restriction for kids education such as some country only allows 'private' or 'international' schools and bars common schools there.

8. One interesting point you mentioned about buying house to stay!! Foreigners allowed to buy there?

Thank you so much and highly appreciate your patience to go through mundane and silly issues.

Have a great day ahead
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
wouldbecrazy wrote:
Thank you so much and highly appreciate your friendly advice. I must say that it is very useful to me as I am not looking for a typical ranked and branded MBA. May be I don't really need that.

I am looking for the knowledge and learning aspects. I personally believe that MBA is not swallow and vomit. To me it is more like a fine dining, you enjoy every bit and cherish for long time. To me, at my career level, I do not require an express train to catapult me from one level to another career level, unlike most of the other MBA aspirants. For me it will be to refresh my foundation, unlearn and learn.

So class composition is very very crucial to me. I am not undermining the faculties but I highly value experience of my fellow professionals, internship, interaction with the industry. During my various management development and leadership development programme, I learned the "REAL" things from fellow participants.

So far it seems that this school quite nicely fits to my objective.

However, I have few more questions and I would highly appreciate your sharing

1. As you mentioned the classes are from 6:30PM to 9:30PM, do you mean that even the full time students are free to work/internship while studying?

2. I understand the programme is for 18-20 months and has different flavours, can you please share the different flavours, including 1 term in US

3. From your post, it was not clear when the internship starts and how long it goes. Generally internships are at the end of the terms but it seems, it runs paralally here. Please share a bit details.

4. You have not mentioned anything about the average salary levels. A rough idea should be quite good. By the way, I am from Singapore and we too have three well known schools here but I am looking for something entirely different!!

5. I am from the Aviation industry, may be can broaden to SCM/Retail/Automobile. Will you be able to share some related companies (except CargoLux) who recruits or provide internship options? the airport?

6. How is the public transport? Is car is a must or can live comfortably with public transport and Taxi? I know it is subjective but some general outline is highly appreciated.

Next few questions are nice to have kinda stuff

7. I believe spouse and kids under 18 can join you as your dependent. Can wife work to kill time? Is there any restriction for kids education such as some country only allows 'private' or 'international' schools and bars common schools there.

8. One interesting point you mentioned about buying house to stay!! Foreigners allowed to buy there?

Thank you so much and highly appreciate your patience to go through mundane and silly issues.

Have a great day ahead

******************************************************************************************************************************

Dude, this time you have a lot more challenging questions for me because some of the things you asked me I have never tried personally , so I wouldn't be able to answer. Such as can you buy a house here as a foreigner?

1. Yes , fulltime students will be following the schedule of work in the morning say from 9-5 and classes in the evening 6.30-9.30.
Time:- Pre-requisite courses starts in july Year 1 and runs till Sep. Year 1.
The real MBA starts from Sep Year1 -Dec Year 2. The internship period starts based on the company. But mostly by November/December Year 1.

From November-July, you will be working in the morning and classes will be held in the evening. Some individuals/companies want students to stay from Nov-Nov for the internship, but it really depends.
We also get quite a good amount of leaves from the government from work since we are working and studying.

And so if you don't require a pre-requisite course, you actually finish your MBA in 16 months with a 9-12 months internship. So the ROI is one among the highest.

2. I hope now you understood our schedule, so as soon as the internship finishes in july, we have an asia trip for 2 weeks, to visit some of our alumni, companies, countries. So it would be a wonderful trip.

And from September, you can study in the US for a semester and sometimes people want to study some more additional subjects from the US campus and so they stay for a little longer.

3. I think I have answered this question. :)

4. This question again depends, on your talent and experience. We have some fresh graduates who just started their career, so they started with a basic of 15000 euros/year in hand and that goes on based on your talent,domain and experience. But for me personally, the brand was the important thing. I wanted to work for a good company, in a domain where I want to work. So if you are continuing in your domain you would get a better salary but if you are shifting your domain to an entirely new domain, salary would be a little less. I shifted my domain entirely, to what I wanted - so i think it is fair.

5. Lux Aviaition, Lux air, Arcelor Mittal, Amazon, Cactus, Auchan, Delphi, Good Year, Ferrero, some wine breweries . Then consulting firms that deal with all the domains you have mentioned like Deloitte, Accenture, PWC, Mckinsey.
Getting into the right company depends on your capacity, goals and their requirements.

6. You can very easily live with bus. Most of the people use it. Anyways, second hand cars are very cheap - you can get good ones from 5000 euros onwards.
I personally don't have one, but am planning to buy sometime later.

7. This is a difficult question, but as far as I know, there wouldn't be a problem for the Kid's education. But whether a dependent can work here - i don't think so with the dependency visa. But after coming here, I think if her skill set is nice, she can try to float her resume to the government and then if there is any vacancy/sponser she can then start working. But it is not easy, it is a very very tedious process. But things can work out with time.

8. Personally I haven't bought a house, but as far as I know, you can buy a house here, but getting loans wouldn't be soo easy since you are a foreigner and because of your student status. But if you have solid cash, I think it is possible.

Phew!!!! that was a question season mann....I think you should buy me a house now....:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you so much once again. Your first line is so true. There are various forums but either full of motivated recruiters or none. Only a very few school sometime gets helpful and caring person like you, who are responsible and balanced. Not like my school is the best or 'it depends'. And due to this lack of right information, we miss so many gem schools like this one. I believe there are few more this kind of unique schools but hardly anyone ever heard of those schools. And sometime, those school's adcom also does a very poor job. One example immediately comes to my mind is Warshaw ... even their adcom email is invalid!!

I am looking at quality, not quantity. So I am happy that this school don't force the student to just swallow and vomit. So a relaxed pace is more like a positive signb to me. Management is not rash!!

I do agree that housing is the only big ticket item, rest are all same everywhere. Still I feel housing is not too expensive there if 1400 is for an apartment/house, in fact much cheaper than Singapore.

Now the only issue I find is the salary level. Definitely 15000 is too low but then again, it is for fresh graduates. Would you be in a position to give a rought idea about middle management salary level? I understand tax level is very low there, if not zero. So that way compensate a bit there.

Sure mate, we will have coffee many times .. if I join there. Who knows, we will be buddy for life!!

Until then, thank you so much and I truly appreciate your open and detailed sharing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
wouldbecrazy wrote:
Thank you so much once again. Your first line is so true. There are various forums but either full of motivated recruiters or none. Only a very few school sometime gets helpful and caring person like you, who are responsible and balanced. Not like my school is the best or 'it depends'. And due to this lack of right information, we miss so many gem schools like this one. I believe there are few more this kind of unique schools but hardly anyone ever heard of those schools. And sometime, those school's adcom also does a very poor job. One example immediately comes to my mind is Warshaw ... even their adcom email is invalid!!

I am looking at quality, not quantity. So I am happy that this school don't force the student to just swallow and vomit. So a relaxed pace is more like a positive signb to me. Management is not rash!!

I do agree that housing is the only big ticket item, rest are all same everywhere. Still I feel housing is not too expensive there if 1400 is for an apartment/house, in fact much cheaper than Singapore.

Now the only issue I find is the salary level. Definitely 15000 is too low but then again, it is for fresh graduates. Would you be in a position to give a rought idea about middle management salary level? I understand tax level is very low there, if not zero. So that way compensate a bit there.

Sure mate, we will have coffee many times .. if I join there. Who knows, we will be buddy for life!!

Until then, thank you so much and I truly appreciate your open and detailed sharing.

*************************************************************************************************************************
*************************************************************************************************************************

Thanks mann!! I also think how blind people are sometimes.....There are almost 200 views in the forum totally and how many people seriously wanted to enquire. If you check in this website people are telling about a lot of schools in Europe and other countries and they say but how is the work, no work permit. Nobody apart from you atleast felt to ask questions. I personally contacted soo many people and told them just read about it, they are very skeptical. So if they contact me, I would help them wholeheartedly.

Coming to your question, for interns - they don't have to pay tax and what I mentioned was the base salary - you will have allowances above that. Also, one authentic way to check the salary would be through Glassdoor bcoz salaries vary based on your profile but good companies have standard salaries and since luxembourg is expensive generally they pay more than other countries....So try Glassdoor and let me know....Maybe I personally think salaries might be higher in Asian countries but I think sometimes you would trade it off for a better life....and think your expense also will be higher proportionality. You can also negotiate with your previous salary...:)

It doesn't matter even if you join or not.....but worth knowing about it and still we can have a lot of coffees...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Many thanks A**n K***r, appreciate all your help.

There are many reasons why people are unable to see or pretend not to see ... lack of clear objectives, no priority, risk averse ... so follow the safe and proven herd mentality. And those attitudes are intelligently exploited by MBA recruiters with jargon filled 'it depends'!!

I will make a decision by middle of next week as next few days will be quite busy for me. May I get in touch with you directly for remaining questions? The reason is, I am not a fresh graduate and I can not afford to take a damaging decision at this stage of my life. At the same time, I am different and I do not follow the herd mentalities. You will be surprised to know that I avoided entire US from my list!!

Thank you once again and will see you soon in few days ..)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

First of all Thanks for the information dude!! :-D :-D
This is the kind of course i was looking out for.. Similar course structure B-School i had searched for was at SKEMA B-School France, but that was for a M.Sc in Mgmt course, which was industry integrated like this. Lux. MBA sounds really good. :P

Before going further, need some information regarding the admission,
-I Have a 3 Year bachelor's degree [B.Sc in CS & Math]. But in the admission page of the coll website it is mentioned US 4Yr degree. will my 3 yr degree be accepted for admission? AM i eligible? :?:
-I currently have 3+ yrs of experience in S/W industry in top tier companies.
-Along with work, i am currently doing regular 1yr course in Management [PGCM] which is 14 subject University recognized course. This is a evening college. This course will be completed in July 2013. If i have this course will I still be asked to attend the pre-mba 2Month course? or can i join the main MBA directly in September? :roll: :shock:
-What has been the Avg. GMAT Score in the previous year? And is IELTS accepted? :shock:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Codeguru8 wrote:
Hi,

First of all Thanks for the information dude!! :-D :-D
This is the kind of course i was looking out for.. Similar course structure B-School i had searched for was at SKEMA B-School France, but that was for a M.Sc in Mgmt course, which was industry integrated like this. Lux. MBA sounds really good. :P

Before going further, need some information regarding the admission,
-I Have a 3 Year bachelor's degree [B.Sc in CS & Math]. But in the admission page of the coll website it is mentioned US 4Yr degree. will my 3 yr degree be accepted for admission? AM i eligible? :?:
-I currently have 3+ yrs of experience in S/W industry in top tier companies.
-Along with work, i am currently doing regular 1yr course in Management [PGCM] which is 14 subject University recognized course. This is a evening college. This course will be completed in July 2013. If i have this course will I still be asked to attend the pre-mba 2Month course? or can i join the main MBA directly in September? :roll: :shock:
-What has been the Avg. GMAT Score in the previous year? And is IELTS accepted? :shock:

Dude!!! all these questions are very difficult for me. But I will try to answer all as per my knowledge. Having said that, if you need a profile evaluation, just send your details to the school. They will let you know your chances, you don't have to pay anything for that. Just an email to arech@shu.lu

1. Dude, i think with your 3 years bachelor's and pgcm should do the trick. But are these from good institutes? If they are, I don't see a possibility why they wouldn't admit you.
2. Your experience in S/W in a top company is a small disadvantage, because generally most of the applicants from Asia have an IT background, but what you can do and what the school is looking for is - what difference will you bring to the class. Yes, definitely Bsc is nice because most of the IT applicants are BTech.
3. Whether to take the pre-mba or not is totally the school's decision and since you have your course till july 2013, I think they will allow you to join in September, and maybe take the pre-mba courses after that.
But, definitely apply soon (especially for you ) because of the S/W experience. They wouldn't take people with the same traits. So, once you are admitted, others will have problems.

I wouldn't say about the average score because it totally depends on your profile. The class average age is around 35. So when people are unique to the class and also they have good experience, a low GMAT of 550 has been accepted. So I would say have a good GMAT, the more the better. If I can see your profile, maybe I can give you a guess but it is definitely my personal judgement. IELTS is accepted.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Akkumon,

I started the process by asking some very specific questions to your adcom on application process, supporting documentation and visa processing. Your admission process guide at https://www.shu.lu/Admission/Admission-Procedure/ is very poorly done up. No clear instruction or guide about reference or personal statements.

Lets see how your adcom respond to my queries and definitely their approach will set the tone. A helpful attitude will go a long way and a careless attitude will send a wrong signal.

Thanks Bro for your sharing. I will share any non sensitive discussions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wouldbecrazy wrote:
Thanks Akkumon,

I started the process by asking some very specific questions to your adcom on application process, supporting documentation and visa processing. Your admission process guide at https://www.shu.lu/Admission/Admission-Procedure/ is very poorly done up. No clear instruction or guide about reference or personal statements.

Lets see how your adcom respond to my queries and definitely their approach will set the tone. A helpful attitude will go a long way and a careless attitude will send a wrong signal.

Thanks Bro for your sharing. I will share any non sensitive discussions.

********************************************************************************************************************************

Sure dude!!! lets c...when I applied I had a good response. So need to know, how good and bad it is....others reading this forum will also understand! Let me know If I can be of some help...:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Akkumon wrote:
Sure dude!!! lets c...when I applied I had a good response. So need to know, how good and bad it is....others reading this forum will also understand! Let me know If I can be of some help...:)

I must say that their response is impressive. I received the complete response with in few hours and the most important part is, the answers were crisp, clear, direct and to the point. Absolutely no jargon, no beating around the bushes, no if-else-but. ... I liked that. Definitely it gave me a very comfort and positive feeling.

Thanks Bro for sharing this info. I think we are destined to have coffee together :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wouldbecrazy wrote:
Akkumon wrote:

I must say that their response is impressive. I received the complete response with in few hours and the most important part is, the answers were crisp, clear, direct and to the point. Absolutely no jargon, no beating around the bushes, no if-else-but. ... I liked that. Definitely it gave me a very comfort and positive feeling.

Thanks Bro for sharing this info. I think we are destined to have coffee together :-D

Thats very good because sometimes schools have problems replying to students especially when christmas dates are approaching. I think you are also lucky. In the meanwhile, I would also suggest you to read about different things in luxembourg, prospective companies you would like to work, and so other students also will get some idea.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi akkumon,

does Lux support any pr options after the 2-year work visa is up? If no, what options will you have once you have finished your 2 year work permit?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
echelon99 wrote:
Hi akkumon,

does Lux support any pr options after the 2-year work visa is up? If no, what options will you have once you have finished your 2 year work permit?

Thanks

Dude!!! By the time you finish your mba and the 2 year work permit in Luxembourg you will have almost 3 years of work experience in Luxembourg then processing your work visa for longer period is easier since you are a skilled person. Once you feel that you want to settle in Luxembourg, you need to be in Luxembourg for 5 years to apply and once you apply getting a PR is easier because Luxembourg is 40% of luxembourgish and 60% of foreigners, so the country wants to promote skilled people to live here.

Also two more advantages are - all the 3 countries - France, Germany and Belgium all are close by within 1 hr distance (but again depends on the city you wanna go). So most of the rich business men live here because it is easy to travel for business purposes. So in-case you start a business in this location, it would be perfect for you.

Another advantage - After your period in Luxembourg, in-case you decide to work in other schengen country like Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria.... your living period there also is considered for the Luxembourg PR but I am exactly not sure what is the ratio. But definitely, PR and work permit extension is not an issue.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Akkumon wrote:

Dude!!! By the time you finish your mba and the 2 year work permit in Luxembourg you will have almost 3 years of work experience in Luxembourg then processing your work visa for longer period is easier since you are a skilled person. Once you feel that you want to settle in Luxembourg, you need to be in Luxembourg for 5 years to apply and once you apply getting a PR is easier because Luxembourg is 40% of luxembourgish and 60% of foreigners, so the country wants to promote skilled people to live here.

Also two more advantages are - all the 3 countries - France, Germany and Belgium all are close by within 1 hr distance (but again depends on the city you wanna go). So most of the rich business men live here because it is easy to travel for business purposes. So in-case you start a business in this location, it would be perfect for you.

Another advantage - After your period in Luxembourg, in-case you decide to work in other schengen country like Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria.... your living period there also is considered for the Luxembourg PR but I am exactly not sure what is the ratio. But definitely, PR and work permit extension is not an issue.

Thanks for the info.

So the govt. of Luxembourg officially support an extension of the 2-yr work permit?

And is language not an issue? I know you said english is spoken there, but finding work would be difficult if you rely ONLY on English?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

First of all above discussion is very informative
However I have a quick question regarding the salary
it's mentioned somewhere that for fresher it will b around 15000/year (I know it's the base )
Which makes it around 1200 per month
And also somewhere it's metioned that for housing it will be around 600 per month (assuming its the least price for a decent place)
So , I am just curious isnt it too low even for a fresher...and after rent there are also other expensives even for a single person

Can you please guide me here
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
echelon99 wrote:
Akkumon wrote:

Thanks for the info.

So the govt. of Luxembourg officially support an extension of the 2-yr work permit?

And is language not an issue? I know you said english is spoken there, but finding work would be difficult if you rely ONLY on English?

Since there is a mix of different nationalities, english and french are used as the main languages. Most of the jobs require good command over english. If you can speak English well, job is not at all a problem here.
The government of Luxembourg is officially supporting the extension of the 2-yr work permit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
suneelbhatt wrote:
Hi,

First of all above discussion is very informative
However I have a quick question regarding the salary
it's mentioned somewhere that for fresher it will b around 15000/year (I know it's the base )
Which makes it around 1200 per month
And also somewhere it's metioned that for housing it will be around 600 per month (assuming its the least price for a decent place)
So , I am just curious isnt it too low even for a fresher...and after rent there are also other expensives even for a single person

Can you please guide me here
Thanks

Some of the other people also had the same doubt as you have. I think I should make it more clear.
The salary I mentioned was 15000 Euros base salary per year for an Internship. And that is the least salary that was secured by an individual who had no experience prior to his MBA. Definitely, that is a good salary for a fresh graduate for an internship and the salary also depends on the domain you work. He has a lot of perks apart from the salary he gets and his job is a dynamic job where if you perform well, your salary shoots like anything. So don't count that number as too low. Definitely, you will get at-least 3-5 times more than that post mba. The intern doesn't have to pay any taxes. Usually most of the countries you have to pay tax as an intern. So if you see great figures, think about the tax also. Yes, housing is expensive but living costs are very low. I am earning far more than that, so it depends on your domain and your experience prior to mba.

I will also mention some things, so that you get a clear idea of what are the living costs here...:)

1. I get free bus pass from the company, so I don't have to pay for that, even if you have to pay for the bus it is 22.5 euros a month
2. In the 600 euros, house I stay I don't have to pay anything else - internet, electricity, water, maid, basic cooking materials like rice, oil, milk, all cleaning materials, wheat flour, drinking mineral water bottles - all are included. It is not always the case but a lot of things would be included when you rent a place.

3. Groceries -
*** 1-2 euros for the bread, based on the bread you buy.
*** 6 apples costs around 2- 2.5 euros.
*** chicken 1 kg - 4 euros to 12 euros based on the type.
*** 1 l of orange juice - 2-4 euros.
*** kebabs in the shop cost - 3.5-5 euros.
*** for a 6 bottles of beer - 3-7 euros.
*** You get 1 litre wines from 2.5 euros onwards.
*** you get 1 litre of alcohol from 6 euros onwards.
*** You get good lunch buffets from 10 euros onwards.
*** 1 kg of onion 1-2 euros.
*** 1 kg of potato 1-3 euros.

I hope these figures help.

If you can share your apartment with a friend, it will be even cheaper than 600 euros, but since most of the people in my batch are older and are married, everybody lives individually.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4