GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ti

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 11:49
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Hi Mo2men,

I imagine that the host can be any animal (including people).
Yes, the deer tick can pick up Lyme from an infected animal and then transfer it to a person.
Which part of the question confuses you?

Cheers,
Brent

Hi Brent,

If people are not considered as 'host', then simply choice B is invalid. The tick can pick up Lyme from an anime (excluding human beings) during its adult stage and then bite a human being. But according to you, a human being is host too. So B makes sense.

The problem in that question is that I did not know what tick is but I took word 'deer tick' as if there a deer and its type called 'tick'. I did not understand until I googled it and understand what tick looks like. Then comes word 'host' and its definition. So the confusions stem from many places.

Thanks from help out as always
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 11:37
Top Contributor
Mo2men wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Hi Mo2men,

I imagine that the host can be any animal (including people).
Yes, the deer tick can pick up Lyme from an infected animal and then transfer it to a person.
Which part of the question confuses you?

Cheers,
Brent

Hi Brent,

If people are not considered as 'host', then simply choice B is invalid. The tick can pick up Lyme from an anime (excluding human beings) during its adult stage and then bite a human being. But according to you, a human being is host too. So B makes sense.

The problem in that question is that I did not know what tick is but I took word 'deer tick' as if there a deer and its type called 'tick'. I did not understand until I googled it and understand what tick looks like. Then comes word 'host' and its definition. So the confusions stem from many places.

Thanks from help out as always

You're right, much of the question centers on the definition of "host"

Cheers,
Brent
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.05
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 06:33
I think the most important word in the question stem is "One Host" this tells us that deer ticks do not change the host (if deer tick feeds on a person A, it wont feed on person B) hence if the deer tick acquires an infection in adult stage (from Person A) it wont Transmit it back to person A (he/she is already infected!!). So B makes sense!
Intern
B
Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 09:18
The difficulty i faced in this question was an important assumption that the deer tick can transfer the disease via feeding only.

If you assume this then Option A is ruled out because the disease can also be transferred if a tick, infected in its larval or nymph stage, feeds on humans during adult stage.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ti   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2019, 09:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ti

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics