It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 10:51

Final Week of R1 Decisions:

CHAT Rooms | MIT Sloan | McCombs 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M04-10

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 136066 [0], given: 12724

M04-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:22
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (00:39) correct 55% (00:29) wrong based on 180 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 136066 [1], given: 12724

Re M04-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

(1) \(x!\) is odd. Two values satisfy this condition 0 and 1: \(0!=1\) and \(1!=1\). Not sufficient.

(2) \(x\) is even. \(x\) can be any even number. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Since from (1) \(x\) is either 0 or 1 and (2) says that \(x\) is even then \(x=0=\text{even}\). Sufficient.

Answer: C

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 136066 [1], given: 12724

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

M04-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 01:01
got it

Last edited by vighnesh.vera@gmail.com on 15 Jul 2016, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re: M04-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 01:15
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
vighnesh.vera@gmail.com wrote:
but don't you think so that 0 is a neutral number...i.e neither even nor odd.

ZERO:

1. 0 is an integer.

2. 0 is an even integer. An even number is an integer that is "evenly divisible" by 2, i.e., divisible by 2 without a remainder and as zero is evenly divisible by 2 then it must be even.

3. 0 is neither positive nor negative integer (the only one of this kind).

4. 0 is divisible by EVERY integer except 0 itself.

Check more here: number-properties-tips-and-hints-174996.html

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 77

CAT Tests
M04-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 07:39
is zero evenly divisible by 3 or by 7 ?
Also please let me know the remainder, if any.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 77

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 07:46

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 49

Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: IIMC (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 08:20
Very good question, one needs to remember that 0! = 1 and 1! = 1.

Statement 1: x! is odd, only two numbers have odd factorial that are 0 and 1 as stated above. Insufficient.

Statement 2: x is even, there can be infinite possibilities. Insufficient.

Combine both statement, only 0 satisfies the conditions because 0 is even and its factorial is odd.

Option C is correct.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 49

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 07:53
I too fell for the mistake of forgetting about 0! Actually, I thought of it but did not think 0! existed and didn't know it was = 1.

Anyway, my actual question is about the structure of DS questions. While doing the problem, I thought Statement 1 was sufficient so I eliminated the possibility of the answer being choices B,C,E.

While analyzing statement 2, while it's obviously insufficient the statement made me double think if Statement 1 was sufficient given that x = 1 is not even. I know you should think of each statement individually, but in all DS questions I can think of, if one or more of the statements are sufficient then the two statements always confirm each other. In this scenario it didn't make sense to me that if Statement 1 were indeed sufficient, they wouldn't contradict the answer in Statement two. Does this actually hold true on the GMAT? In the future, if I'm in a situation like this where I see Statement 2 contradicting statement 1 (which I incorrectly thought was sufficient) can I use this as a sign to re-evaluate the first statement?

Thank you!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 07:58
Gmatfrog3 wrote:
I too fell for the mistake of forgetting about 0! Actually, I thought of it but did not think 0! existed and didn't know it was = 1.

Anyway, my actual question is about the structure of DS questions. While doing the problem, I thought Statement 1 was sufficient so I eliminated the possibility of the answer being choices B,C,E.

While analyzing statement 2, while it's obviously insufficient the statement made me double think if Statement 1 was sufficient given that x = 1 is not even. I know you should think of each statement individually, but in all DS questions I can think of, if one or more of the statements are sufficient then the two statements always confirm each other. In this scenario it didn't make sense to me that if Statement 1 were indeed sufficient, they wouldn't contradict the answer in Statement two. Does this actually hold true on the GMAT? In the future, if I'm in a situation like this where I see Statement 2 contradicting statement 1 (which I incorrectly thought was sufficient) can I use this as a sign to re-evaluate the first statement?

Thank you!

Yes. On the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements NEVER contradict each other or the stem.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: M04-10   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2017, 07:58

M04-10

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap