It is currently 25 Feb 2018, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M10-36

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
M10-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:06) correct 45% (01:17) wrong based on 107 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For a certain sequence \(a_1=9^1\) and \(a_n=(10^n - 1)^n\), where \(n\) is a positive integer. If S is the sum of \(n\) terms of the sequence, what is the units digit of S?

(1) \(n\) is even

(2) \(n\) is prime
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Re M10-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Official Solution:

We have the sum of \(n\) integers:

(..9) + (..1) + (..9) + (..1) + ...

Statement (1) by itself is sufficient. If \(n\) is even then this sum ends with 0. If it's odd, then this sum ends with 9.

Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. (2 is prime and even, 3 is prime and odd).

Answer: A

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M10-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

We have the sum of \(n\) integers:

(..9) + (..1) + (..9) + (..1) + ...

Statement (1) by itself is sufficient. If \(n\) is even then this sum ends with 0. If it's odd, then this sum ends with 9.

Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. (2 is prime and even, 3 is prime and odd).

Answer: A

I completely agree with the solution. However, the way this sum is depicted one can assume that n is more than 3, since the powers of 2 and 3 are clearly depicted. So if we assume that n is more than 3 the answer will change.

Maybe the sum should have been depicted as

9^1 + ... + (10^n - 1)^n

in this case one cannot assume that n is more than 3?

Cuz during the test I assumed that N is more than 3 and so I got an answer different from the official one.

Consider giving Kudos if you like the post.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2015, 14:14
GMAT888

I´m with you, I got the same understanding from the way the question is written
Current Student
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2015, 23:43
I guess we should assume that n cannot be 0 either?
Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 00:57
bluesquare wrote:

Hi,
why can't n be 0?
n is even as per statement 1 and if it is to power 0,which is even, answer will still be 1(anything to pwer of 0 is 1)... suff

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 01:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
michaelyb wrote:
GMAT888

I´m with you, I got the same understanding from the way the question is written

Hi,
I think the Q is correct as it is written if you take n to be a positive integer > or <3 will still give you the same answer...
Bunuel , only thing that could have been mentioned is n is a non negative integer... because nonnegative would change the answer
or we take this as a series and therefore n as positive integer but it is not mentioned that it is a sum of a series

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Current Student
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 16:25
chetan2u wrote:
bluesquare wrote:

Hi,
why can't n be 0?
n is even as per statement 1 and if it is to power 0,which is even, answer will still be 1(anything to pwer of 0 is 1)... suff

If n can be 0, then in statement 1, n is even means that the term can end in either a 1 or a 9, so statement 1 should be insufficient, no?
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 04:00
Bunuel wrote:
For a certain sequence \(a_1=9^1\) and \(a_n=(10^n - 1)^n\), where \(n\) is a positive integer. If S is the sum of \(n\) terms of the sequence, what is the units digit of S?

(1) \(n\) is even

(2) \(n\) is prime

Edited the question. Is it better?

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 00:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
please can someone elaborate on the answer and explanation i cannot understand why cannot n be greater than 3.

i tried forming series first as
9,99^2, 999^3, 9999^4...... (10^n - 1)^n

how come series is in form ..9,..1,..9,..1 ??? what is this clearly ??

please help
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
smanujahrc wrote:

please can someone elaborate on the answer and explanation i cannot understand why cannot n be greater than 3.

please help

That the terms of the sequence are given by the formula \(a_n=(10^n - 1)^n\).

\(a_1=9^1=9\)
\(a_2=99^2=...1\)
\(a_3=999^3=...9\)
\(a_4=9999^4=...1\)

As you can see odd terms have the units digit of 9 and the even terms have the units digit of 1.

The question asks about the units digit of the sum of \(n\) terms of the sequence. Now, if n is even then this sum ends with 0. If it's odd, then this sum ends with 9.

For example:
If n = 2, then the units digit of the sum of 2 terms is 9^1 + 99^2 = ...0.
If n = 3, then the units digit of the sum of 3 terms is 9^1 + 99^2 + 999^3 = ...9.

Statement (1) by itself is sufficient. n = 2 --> the sum ends with 0.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 09:57
Bunuel wrote:
smanujahrc wrote:

please help

That the terms of the sequence are given by the formula \(a_n=(10^n - 1)^n\).

\(a_1=9^1=9\)
\(a_2=99^2=...1\)
\(a_3=999^3=...9\)
\(a_4=9999^4=...1\)

As you can see odd terms have the units digit of 9 and the even terms have the units digit of 1.

The question asks about the units digit of the sum of \(n\) terms of the sequence. Now, if n is even then this sum ends with 0. If it's odd, then this sum ends with 9.

For example:
If n = 2, then the units digit of the sum of 2 terms is 9^1 + 99^2 = ...0.
If n = 3, then the units digit of the sum of 3 terms is 9^1 + 99^2 + 999^3 = ...9.

Statement (1) by itself is sufficient. n = 2 --> the sum ends with 0.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

Brilliant explanation. Thanx a lot. Its is superb.
Re: M10-36   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2018, 09:57

M10-36

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap