Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [18]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
WE:Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [1]
Send PM
Re: M17-11 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Vishvesh88 wrote:
Bunuel:

Let w be the no. of litres of water

0.2(10) + w = 0.05 (10+w)

What is wrong with this equation?

It should be 0.2*10 = 0.05(10+w), so you should be equating alcohol.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 540 Q42 V22
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Bunuel, I tried to convert this into a equation : 20% [10 Lit] = 25% [ 10 +W] and it is giving incorrect answer. After looking at clarification I can understand the solution but appreciate if you can advise what is wrong in my equation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [2]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
Kudos
NAvinash wrote:
Bunuel, I tried to convert this into a equation : 20% [10 Lit] = 25% [ 10 +W] and it is giving incorrect answer. After looking at clarification I can understand the solution but appreciate if you can advise what is wrong in my equation.

Hello NAvinash

IMO, you are slightly incorrect there. See the highlighted portion in RED. You correctly understood that you have to reduce the percentage of alcohol to 25% (or by 75%), but that reduction has to be in the given percentage of alcohol, that is, 25% of 20% of alcohol in the solution = 5% of alcohol in the solution.

So, your equation will be;
20% [10 L] = 5% [10+W]
Which will get you W = 30L.

I hope it helped.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
If there are 10 liters of a 20%-solution of alcohol, how much water should be added to reduce the concentration of alcohol in the solution by 75% ?

A. 25 liters
B. 27 liters
C. 30 liters
D. 32 liters
E. 35 liters

HI GMATGuruNY , MentorTutoring , BrentGMATPrepNow,

Can you help me out on this problem? I tried to comprehend but missed it.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If there are 10 liters of a 20%-solution of alcohol, how much water should be added to reduce the concentration of alcohol in the solution by 75% ?

A. 25 liters
B. 27 liters
C. 30 liters
D. 32 liters
E. 35 liters

HI GMATGuruNY , MentorTutoring , BrentGMATPrepNow,

Can you help me out on this problem? I tried to comprehend but missed it.

Hello again, NandishSS. There are two separate components that you have to work through to solve the question. I often teach my students to stop whenever they encounter punctuation in a Quant problem, to take a moment to process what information was given. Too many students make the mistake of trying to read everything quickly and then jumping right into the problem, perhaps feeling overwhelmed because they do not know how to put all the pieces together. Anyway, how about we put this technique to use in this question?

Bunuel wrote:
there are 10 liters of a 20%-solution of alcohol

This information allows us to determine the number of liters of alcohol in the solution: 0.2(10) = 2.

Bunuel wrote:
reduce the concentration of alcohol in the solution by 75%

To reduce the concentration of alcohol, we have to reduce the 20% (concentration) of the original solution by 75%, or, in other words, we need to keep 1/4 of the original concentration: 1/4 * 20 = 5. The solution after the addition of the water must have a 5% alcohol content.

Now we can put the two separate parts of the problem together. Since we are not adding any alcohol to the solution, but water only, we know that 2L of alcohol must be equivalent to the 5% concentration of alcohol in the final solution (which I will denote F).

2 = 0.05F or 2 = (5/100)F (if decimals cause you trouble, as they do for some people)

2 = (1/20)F

2 = F/20

40 = F

The final solution will be 40L in volume, of which 2L will be alcohol. Check your solution (if you were not in a time crunch):

2/40 = 1/20 = 5/100

Since 5/100 is 5%, we can now be sure about our solution. A good trap answer here would be 40 liters, since that is the volume of the final solution. But be careful and make sure you are answering the question that is being asked. Here, at a barebones level (since we have already sorted out all the details), we have,

Bunuel wrote:
how much water should be added...?

If we started with 10L and we ended up with 40L, then we added 30L of water to the solution. Choice (C) must be the answer.

I hope that helps. Although, looking back on the official solution, I pretty much did the same thing as Bunuel, perhaps the extra explanations will allow you to better understand how to break down such a problem. If not, just let me know.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29930 [4]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

A. 25 liters
B. 27 liters
C. 30 liters
D. 32 liters
E. 35 liters

When solving mixture questions, I find it useful to sketch the solutions with the ingredients SEPARATED.
This way, it's very easy to keep track of each part of the mixture.
We get:

How much water should be added to reduce the concentration of alcohol in the solution by 75% ?
75% of 20 = 15
20 - 15 = 5
So, we want the RESULTING mixture to be 5% alcohol.
In other words, we want the RESULTING mixture to be 5/100 alcohol.

We can write: 2/(10 + x) = 5/100
Simplify: 2/(10 + x) = 1/20
Cross multiply: 10 + x = 40
Solve: x = 30

Answer: C

RELATED VIDEO

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 21 Jun 2020, 08:24.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 17 May 2021, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos