GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 21:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

m25,#31

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 895
m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 06:45
1
11
What is the last digit of \(3^{3^3}\) ?

(A) 1
(B) 3
(C) 6
(D) 7
(E) 9

Spoiler: :: OA
D

Source: GMAT Club Tests - hardest GMAT questions

What should be the approach in such types of questions?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1098
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 07:08
4
1
3^x will have a pattern with unit digit as 3, 9, 7,1, 3,9,7,1,....

Thus, after every four values, the unit digit pattern will repeat.

Divide 27 by 4....3 is the remainder. Unit digit for the third value (from the pattern above) will be 7.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 895
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 20:58
wow! wht an easy approach! Thanks a lot!
scthakur wrote:
3^x will have a pattern with unit digit as 3, 9, 7,1, 3,9,7,1,....

Thus, after every four values, the unit digit pattern will repeat.

Divide 27 by 4....3 is the remainder. Unit digit for the third value (from the pattern above) will be 7.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2009
Posts: 147
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2009, 14:01
25
4
To solve this kind of problems, it saves time to remember the following regarding the units digit:

.............................^1....^2.....^3.....^4.....^5......^6
0 has a cycle of 1.......0......0........0
1 has a cycle of 1.......1......1........1
2 has a cycle of 4.......2......4......8......16.......32.....64
3 has a cycle of 4.......3......9......27.....81......243....729
4 has a cycle of 2.......4......16......64....256
5 has a cycle of 1.......5......25......125
6 has a cycle of 1.......6......36......216
7 has a cycle of 4.......7......49......341...2401...16807..117649
8 has a cycle of 4.......8......64......512...4096..32768..262144
9 has a cycle of 2.......9......81......729....6561

This pattern of 1-1-4-4-2 goes on and on into infinity:
10 has a cycle of 1
11 has a cycle of 1
12 has a cycle of 4
13 has a cycle of 4
14 has a cycle of 2
_________________
Please kudos if my post helps.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 40
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2010, 16:24
I got this question wrong because I interpreted 3^3^3 as (3^3)^3.

Is commonly accepted convention to start developing the exponents from the one on top to the one on the bottom (i.e. x^(a^(b^(c^d))))?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59236
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2010, 18:18
7
2
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2009
Posts: 36
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2010, 19:51
I didnt know you had to divide by 4 and to pick the number of the remainder..

How about the case for 3^12 where has zero remainder...?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59236
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2010, 22:47
gmatJP wrote:
I didnt know you had to divide by 4 and to pick the number of the remainder..

How about the case for 3^12 where has zero remainder...?


When remainder is zero you should take the base in the power of cyclisity. Last digit of 3^12 = last digit of 3^4, as the cyclisity of 3 if 4 and 12 divided by 4 leaves remainder zero.

For more see the Number Theory chapter in Math Book.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 208
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2010, 08:43
the ans will be 3.
for this type of question which has small no as 2, 3 ,4.
you can calculate it by multiplying only the unit digit if the nos are countable on fingers,
else you should use the above method explained by Gmat Aspirants.
_________________
kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59236
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2010, 08:49
7
1
321kumarsushant wrote:
the ans will be 3.
for this type of question which has small no as 2, 3 ,4.
you can calculate it by multiplying only the unit digit if the nos are countable on fingers,
else you should use the above method explained by Gmat Aspirants.


OA for this question is D (7).

What is the last digit of \(3^{3^3}\)?
(A) 1
(B) 3
(C) 6
(D) 7
(E) 9

If exponentiation is indicated by stacked symbols, the rule is to work from the top down, thus:
\(a^m^n=a^{(m^n)}\) and not \((a^m)^n\), which on the other hand equals to \(a^{mn}\).

So:
\((a^m)^n=a^{mn}\);

\(a^m^n=a^{(m^n)}\) and not \((a^m)^n\).

According to above:

\(3^{3^3}=3^{(3^3)}=3^{27}\)

Cyclicity of 3 in positive integer power is four (the last digit of 3 in positive integer power repeats in the following patter {3-9-7-1}-{3-9-7-1}-...) --> the units digit of \(3^{27}\) is the same as for 3^3 (27=4*6+3) --> 7.

Answer: D (7).
_________________
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 22
Location: Boston
Schools: Boston College, MIT, BU, IIM, UCLA, Babson, Brown
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2010, 08:59
wow! great question and useful tips.. thanks
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 208
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2010, 10:02
Bunuel wrote:
321kumarsushant wrote:
the ans will be 3.
for this type of question which has small no as 2, 3 ,4.
you can calculate it by multiplying only the unit digit if the nos are countable on fingers,
else you should use the above method explained by Gmat Aspirants.


OA for this question is D (7).

What is the last digit of \(3^{3^3}\)?
(A) 1
(B) 3
(C) 6
(D) 7
(E) 9

If exponentiation is indicated by stacked symbols, the rule is to work from the top down, thus:
\(a^m^n=a^{(m^n)}\) and not \((a^m)^n\), which on the other hand equals to \(a^{mn}\).

So:
\((a^m)^n=a^{mn}\);

\(a^m^n=a^{(m^n)}\) and not \((a^m)^n\).

According to above:

\(3^{3^3}=3^{(3^3)}=3^{27}\)

Cyclicity of 3 in positive integer power is four (the last digit of 3 in positive integer power repeats in the following patter {3-9-7-1}-{3-9-7-1}-...) --> the units digit of \(3^{27}\) is the same as for 3^3 (27=4*6+3) --> 7.

Answer: D (7).



ohh ! i got that question wrong.
the ans will be 7.
above explanation is appreciable.
_________________
kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Trying to get into the illustrious 700 club!
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 41
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2010, 11:04
Bunuel wrote:
gmatJP wrote:
I didnt know you had to divide by 4 and to pick the number of the remainder..

How about the case for 3^12 where has zero remainder...?


When remainder is zero you should take the base in the power of cyclisity. Last digit of 3^12 = last digit of 3^4, as the cyclisity of 3 if 4 and 12 divided by 4 leaves remainder zero.

For more see the Number Theory chapter in Math Book.


Good point. I did everything like you guys except I chose the wrong starting point. I divided 27 by 4 and got 6 remainder 3 but thought 3^1 was the point of reference and chose 1 as the answer and not 7.

Thanks for clearing that up Bunuel!
_________________
I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2010
Posts: 48
Location: India
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 07:46
D.

3^3^3 = 3^27
Now we need to find a pattern for last digits of different powers of 3 -->
1 2 3 4
3 9 7 1

after every 4 different unit digits the pattern repeates itself.
Hence for 4*6 = 24th power the units digit will be 1
27 - 4 = 3
the third unit's digit in the pattern above is 7
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 112
Location: India
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2011, 23:09
ritula wrote:
What is the last digit of \(3^{3^3}\) ?

(A) 1
(B) 3
(C) 6
(D) 7
(E) 9

Spoiler: :: OA
D

Source: GMAT Club Tests - hardest GMAT questions

What should be the approach in such types of questions?


I solved the problem as below:

3^3^3 = 3^27= 3^9*3^9*3^9.

3^9 = 3^3*3^3*3^3 which has a unit digit of 3

unit digit of 3^27 = 3*3*3 = 27 hence 7

D
_________________
-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2011, 03:34
VERY SIMPLE
FIRST TWO POWER=9
THEN 3 RAISED TO POWER 9=(3.3).(3.3.).(3.3)(3.3)3
=(9.9.9.9.)3
=(81.81)3
=FIRST DIGIT AS1
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 82
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2011, 11:51
D

Just take the last number when you square...and then look for order

3^{3^3} = 3^(27)

3^1 = 3
3^2 = 9
3^3 = 7 (remember only need the last number)
3^4 = 1 (same as above)
3^5 = 3 ...now the numbers are repeating

All you have to do now is see where 27 would land which is 3^3, so answer is 7.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 116
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Re: m25,#31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2012, 22:24
i broke it down to 3^27 => then 27 is divided by 3, 9 times. 3^3 = 27
then 7^9. break it down to pairs 7*7 = 49.
there will be four 9's and a remaining 7.
1*1*7 = 7
_________________
DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 1
M25-31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2013, 12:19
1
I had not find a topic for this question, so I have created this one.
The thing is - 3^3^2 = 3^27 in the official answer.
Is not it - 3^3^2 = 3^9 ?
Thank you for the attention.
Attachments

d63d1fe678552ac0338e3bdaa5102421.png
d63d1fe678552ac0338e3bdaa5102421.png [ 261.88 KiB | Viewed 8203 times ]

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59236
Re: M25-31  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2013, 12:27
1
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M25-31   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2013, 12:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

m25,#31

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: Bunuel






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne