GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 13:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     11:00 AM PST

    Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

M28-04

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50613
M28-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (00:33) correct 31% (00:53) wrong based on 248 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50613
Re M28-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:28
Official Solution:


Both statements are saying the exact same thing: \(|a|+|b|=0\), this to be true, both \(a\) and \(b\) must equal to zero.

Why is that? Absolute value is always non-negative - \(|\text{some expression}| \geq 0\), which means that absolute value is either zero or positive. We have that the sum of two absolute values, or the sum of two non-negative values equals to zero: \(\text{non-negative} + \text{non-negative} = 0\), obviously both must be zero this equation to hold true.


Answer: D
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 66
Concentration: Technology, Operations
Re: M28-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 17:20
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:


Both statements are saying the exact same thing: \(|a|+|b|=0\), this to be true, both \(a\) and \(b\) must equal to zero.

Why is that? Absolute value is always non-negative - \(|\text{some expression}| \geq 0\), which means that absolute value is either zero or positive. We have that the sum of two absolute values, or the sum of two non-negative values equals to zero: \(\text{non-negative} + \text{non-negative} = 0\), obviously both must be zero this equation to hold true.


Answer: D


In other words, is this the logic? Re-arrange the statements to be:

(1) |a| + |b| = 0

(2) |b| + |a| = 0

If you add two positive values and they equal zero, then both values have to be zero
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50613
Re: M28-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 20:22
1
joondez wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:


Both statements are saying the exact same thing: \(|a|+|b|=0\), this to be true, both \(a\) and \(b\) must equal to zero.

Why is that? Absolute value is always non-negative - \(|\text{some expression}| \geq 0\), which means that absolute value is either zero or positive. We have that the sum of two absolute values, or the sum of two non-negative values equals to zero: \(\text{non-negative} + \text{non-negative} = 0\), obviously both must be zero this equation to hold true.


Answer: D


In other words, is this the logic? Re-arrange the statements to be:

(1) |a| + |b| = 0

(2) |b| + |a| = 0

If you add two positive values and they equal zero, then both values have to be zero


Two non-negative values. The sum of positive numbers cannot be 0.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Re: M28-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 21:19
Bunuel
I understand the arrangement of the equation made above but I was considering the following:
(1) if a>0, a=-b; -b+b=0
BUT if a<0, -a=-b; a=b; and then the sum is a+a=2a (or b+b=2b)
in this case the answer would be not sufficient. Where is the mistake here?
Thank you
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50613
Re: M28-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 23:05
1
NatalieStarr wrote:
Bunuel
I understand the arrangement of the equation made above but I was considering the following:
(1) if a>0, a=-b; -b+b=0
BUT if a<0, -a=-b; a=b; and then the sum is a+a=2a (or b+b=2b)
in this case the answer would be not sufficient. Where is the mistake here?
Thank you


If a > 0 and b > 0, then |a| = -|b| transforms to a = -b --> a + b = 0. This case is not possible: the sum of two positive values cannot be 0.
If a > 0 and b < 0, then |a| = -|b| transforms to a = -(-b) --> a = b. This case is not possible: positive a (a > 0) cannot equal to negative b (b < 0).
If a < 0 and b < 0, then |a| = -|b| transforms to -a = -(-b) --> a + b = 0. This case is not possible: the sum of two negative values cannot be 0.
If a < 0 and b > 0, then |a| = -|b| transforms to -a = -b --> a = b. This case is not possible: negative a (a < 0) cannot equal to positive b (b > 0).

The only case left is a = b = 0.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Apr 2018
Posts: 2
Re M28-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 03:05
But we are told to find sum of a and b not sum of mod a and mod b..
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50613
Re: M28-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 03:08
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Aug 2018
Posts: 3
Re: M28-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 05:07
Bunuel wrote:
hellogmat123999 wrote:
But we are told to find sum of a and b not sum of mod a and mod b..


From both statements we got that a = b = 0, thus a + b = 0.


But how do we know a or b aren't anything other than 0? How do we not know a and b can't both equal 1 or 2 or any other integer? Is 0 the only number where two different values (a and b) can be the same? I ask because when two letters are used, it typically implies different values, but I genuinely could have just not known any two differently-labeled values could equal zero.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50613
Re: M28-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 06:25
okayfabian15 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
hellogmat123999 wrote:
But we are told to find sum of a and b not sum of mod a and mod b..


From both statements we got that a = b = 0, thus a + b = 0.


But how do we know a or b aren't anything other than 0? How do we not know a and b can't both equal 1 or 2 or any other integer? Is 0 the only number where two different values (a and b) can be the same? I ask because when two letters are used, it typically implies different values, but I genuinely could have just not known any two differently-labeled values could equal zero.


This is explained here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/m28-184502.html#p1415666

As for your doubt: unless it is explicitly stated otherwise, different variables CAN represent the same number.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: M28-04 &nbs [#permalink] 16 Oct 2018, 06:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M28-04

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.