Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 23:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M28-25

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56260
M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:23) correct 32% (01:48) wrong based on 135 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56260
Re M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:29
Official Solution:

If \(x\) and \(y\) are integers and \(x + y = -12\), which of the following must be true?

A. Both \(x\) and \(y\) are negative
B. \(xy \gt 0\)
C. If \(y \lt 0\), then \(x \gt 0\)
D. If \(y \gt 0\), then \(x \lt 0\)
E. \(x-y \gt 0\)


Look at option D: if \(y\) is positive, then \(x\) must be negative in order the sum of \(x\) and \(y\) to be negative.


Answer: D
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2013
Posts: 57
Re: M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 00:56
given x+y=−12 and both x and y are integers.
Consider few examples that give a sum of -12

-8 + (-4) = -12
4 + (- 16) = -12
Now check the given options. Only d holds good.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2014
Posts: 7
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: HBS '18, ISB '16, IIMA
GMAT Date: 12-14-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Re: M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 03:25
please check this

d)-16(x) + 4(y)=-12---> x<0, y>0

c)4(x)+(-16)(y)=-12----->x>0,y<0

so there are two valid answer options in this question, correct me if i am wrong
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56260
Re: M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 04:25
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2013
Posts: 57
Re: M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 05:31
1
ramarao443 wrote:
please check this

d)-16(x) + 4(y)=-12---> x<0, y>0

c)4(x)+(-16)(y)=-12----->x>0,y<0

so there are two valid answer options in this question, correct me if i am wrong


Option c (If y<0, then x>0) gets eliminated when we use these values

x = -8 and y = -4
-8 + (-4) = -12
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 25
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 14:29
this question is wrong I believe becuase what happens if

x=-12 and y=0

x+y=-12 and THE SAME HAPPENS viceversa

please explain us all
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56260
Re: M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 07:03
mmelendez wrote:
this question is wrong I believe becuase what happens if

x=-12 and y=0

x+y=-12 and THE SAME HAPPENS viceversa

please explain us all


The question is fine, you just did not understand it.

The question asks which of the following must be true, not could be true.

If y is positive, then x must be negative in order the sum of x and y to be negative. So, D MUST be true.
_________________
Retired Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 586
Re: M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 08:33
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

If \(x\) and \(y\) are integers and \(x + y = -12\), which of the following must be true?

A. Both \(x\) and \(y\) are negative
B. \(xy \gt 0\)
C. If \(y \lt 0\), then \(x \gt 0\)
D. If \(y \gt 0\), then \(x \lt 0\)
E. \(x-y \gt 0\)


Look at option D: if \(y\) is positive, then \(x\) must be negative in order the sum of \(x\) and \(y\) to be negative.


Answer: D



Hi Bunuel,

If D is must be true option then even C will also satisfy .

I tried with C and D with some random numbers and both seemed correct to me.

I have gone through the other explanations which you gave but didn't get.

Can you please help me to understand much better that how we can get MUST case and COULD BE in such questions.
Current Student
avatar
B
Status: Persevere
Joined: 09 Jan 2016
Posts: 118
Location: Hong Kong
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.52
Reviews Badge
Re: M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 21:35
2
1
msk0657 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

If \(x\) and \(y\) are integers and \(x + y = -12\), which of the following must be true?

A. Both \(x\) and \(y\) are negative
B. \(xy \gt 0\)
C. If \(y \lt 0\), then \(x \gt 0\)
D. If \(y \gt 0\), then \(x \lt 0\)
E. \(x-y \gt 0\)


Look at option D: if \(y\) is positive, then \(x\) must be negative in order the sum of \(x\) and \(y\) to be negative.


Answer: D



Hi Bunuel,

If D is must be true option then even C will also satisfy .

I tried with C and D with some random numbers and both seemed correct to me.

I have gone through the other explanations which you gave but didn't get.

Can you please help me to understand much better that how we can get MUST case and COULD BE in such questions.


As per the question, we know:
i. \(x\) and \(y\) are integers, and
ii. \(x + y = -12\)

From this, we get following five situations/ scenarios:
1) \(x < 0\), \(y < 0\) (eg. \(x = -5\), \(y = -7\) or \(x = -7\), \(y = -5\))
2) \(x < 0\), \(y > 0\) (eg. \(x = -13\), \(y = 1\))
3) \(x > 0\), \(y < 0\) (eg. \(x = 1\), \(y = -13\))
4) \(x = 0\), \(y < 0\) (\(x = 0\), \(y = -12\))
5) \(x < 0\), \(y = 0\) (\(x = -12\), \(y = 0\))

Let us now consider each of the options to determine whether they must be true for each of the above scenarios:
Option A:
Both \(x\) and \(y\) are negative
in other words: \(x <0\), \(y < 0\). This is true only for scenario 1) above. But this is not true for other 4 scenarios. Hence, this could be true, but not definitely true.

Option B:
\(xy>0\), this is only possible when \(x>0\) and \(y>0\) or when \(x<0 and y<0\). Again, this is true only for scenario 1) above. But this is not true for other 4 scenarios. Hence, this could be true, but not definitely true.

Option C:
If \(y<0\), then \(x>0\).
If we look at all the 5 scenarios, \(y<0\) in scenario 3 and 4. However, this statement is true for scenario 3 but not true for scenario 4. This is because, if \(y = -12\) (i.e. \(y<0\)), then \(x = 0\) (neither negative nor positive). Hence, this could be true, but not definitely true.

Option D:
If \(y>0\), then \(x<0\).
If we look at all the 5 scenarios, \(y<0\) only in scenario 2 and as per that scenario \(x>0\). So this must be true because whenever \(y\) is a negative integer, \(x\) has to be a positive integer. This is the correct answer.

Option E:
\(x-y>0\). This is true for scenario 4 but not true for scenario 5. Therefore, this could be true, but not definitely true. Remember, it is sufficient to consider 2 out of 5 scenarios, if we get different answers from them. We have to consider all the 5 scenarios only in cases where the statement is definitely true or must be true.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,
Nalin
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2620
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2016, 08:57
1
nalinnair wrote:
msk0657 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

If \(x\) and \(y\) are integers and \(x + y = -12\), which of the following must be true?

A. Both \(x\) and \(y\) are negative
B. \(xy \gt 0\)
C. If \(y \lt 0\), then \(x \gt 0\)
D. If \(y \gt 0\), then \(x \lt 0\)
E. \(x-y \gt 0\)


Look at option D: if \(y\) is positive, then \(x\) must be negative in order the sum of \(x\) and \(y\) to be negative.


Answer: D



Hi Bunuel,

If D is must be true option then even C will also satisfy .

I tried with C and D with some random numbers and both seemed correct to me.

I have gone through the other explanations which you gave but didn't get.

Can you please help me to understand much better that how we can get MUST case and COULD BE in such questions.


As per the question, we know:
i. \(x\) and \(y\) are integers, and
ii. \(x + y = -12\)

From this, we get following five situations/ scenarios:
1) \(x < 0\), \(y < 0\) (eg. \(x = -5\), \(y = -7\) or \(x = -7\), \(y = -5\))
2) \(x < 0\), \(y > 0\) (eg. \(x = -13\), \(y = 1\))
3) \(x > 0\), \(y < 0\) (eg. \(x = 1\), \(y = -13\))
4) \(x = 0\), \(y < 0\) (\(x = 0\), \(y = -12\))
5) \(x < 0\), \(y = 0\) (\(x = -12\), \(y = 0\))

Let us now consider each of the options to determine whether they must be true for each of the above scenarios:
Option A:
Both \(x\) and \(y\) are negative
in other words: \(x <0\), \(y < 0\). This is true only for scenario 1) above. But this is not true for other 4 scenarios. Hence, this could be true, but not definitely true.

Option B:
\(xy>0\), this is only possible when \(x>0\) and \(y>0\) or when \(x<0 and y<0\). Again, this is true only for scenario 1) above. But this is not true for other 4 scenarios. Hence, this could be true, but not definitely true.

Option C:
If \(y<0\), then \(x>0\).
If we look at all the 5 scenarios, \(y<0\) in scenario 3 and 4. However, this statement is true for scenario 3 but not true for scenario 4. This is because, if \(y = -12\) (i.e. \(y<0\)), then \(x = 0\) (neither negative nor positive). Hence, this could be true, but not definitely true.

Option D:
If \(y>0\), then \(x<0\).
If we look at all the 5 scenarios, \(y<0\) only in scenario 2 and as per that scenario \(x>0\). So this must be true because whenever \(y\) is a negative integer, \(x\) has to be a positive integer. This is the correct answer.

Option E:
\(x-y>0\). This is true for scenario 4 but not true for scenario 5. Therefore, this could be true, but not definitely true. Remember, it is sufficient to consider 2 out of 5 scenarios, if we get different answers from them. We have to consider all the 5 scenarios only in cases where the statement is definitely true or must be true.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,
Nalin


A bit lengthy but a good detailed solution. Would add a couple of observations.

For any MUST BE TRUE question, you can only be sure of your answer once you find that examples that will negate the other options. Any correct option in a MUST BE TRUE question, will be true for ALL possible cases.

x+y=-12

A. Both x and y are negative . x=-12, y = 0 negate this condition. Eliminate.
B. xy>0. x=-12, y = 0 negate this condition. Eliminate.
C. If y<0, then x>0. x=0, y = -12 negate this condition. Eliminate.
D. If y>0, then x<0
E. x−y>0. x=-12, y = 0 negate this condition. Eliminate.

Thus, D is the correct answer. you only had to use (-12,0) or (0,-12) to arrive at the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Apr 2017
Posts: 118
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 3.1
Re: M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 09:04
If x and y are integers and x+y=−12, which of the following must be true?

Use logic and test numbers

X = -22, y = 10
-22 + 10 = -12

A. Both x and y are negative, testing at least the solution above proves for this to not be true.
B. x>0 y>0, testing at least the solution above proves for this to not be true.
C. If y<0, then x>, testing at least the solution above proves for this to not be true.
D. If y>0, then x<0, do not need to prove any further that of the given answer choices this is the only one that can be correct.
E. x−y>0[/color], testing at least the solution above proves for this to not be true.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Oct 2017
Posts: 66
Location: India
Schools: GWU '21, Isenberg'21
Re: M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 09:33
As per the question we are given x+y=-12
and as per the option D , we have If y >0 then x <0

i followed the following approach instead of putting some random values, i put the value of y in the inequality (y>0). What we get after putting the value y from the given equation
Quote:
-12-x>0
.......(1)
On simplifying the equation 1 we get
Quote:
x<-12
means x will always be negative (or x<0).

this is our required answer (D)
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jul 2017
Posts: 21
CAT Tests
Re M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 19:12
I don't agree with the explanation. If x=-24 and y=12 then option D is correct
If x=12 and y=-24, then option C is correct...
How are you judging that y has to be > 0
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56260
Re: M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 01:09
twister68 wrote:
I don't agree with the explanation. If x=-24 and y=12 then option D is correct
If x=12 and y=-24, then option C is correct...
How are you judging that y has to be > 0


The question asks which of the following must be true, not could be true. Only D must be true (only D is always true).

As for C: if y = 1 and x = -13, then C is not true, so C is NOT always true.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Dec 2017
Posts: 5
CAT Tests
Re M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 12:29
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. It’s not mentioned which is greater x or y..

If x = -15 and y= 3 the statement is sufficient.

But if y = -15 and x = 3 , then also it is sufficient.

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56260
Re: M28-25  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 14:17
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M28-25   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2019, 14:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M28-25

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne