Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72880 [3]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anirudddh wrote:
If there are indirect entries allowed and people can get in there as recommendation candidates, I definitely value India's Top Universities both undergrad and MBA which admit purely on merit basis.
To add to bb 's point, there are candidates that any school would want to have as a student, irrespective of what put them on the trajectory that they are on. For example, some schools use (part of) the resources (connections, money) that certain students bring, or will bring, to (partly) fund scholarships that make it possible for students who would otherwise not be able to afford quality education get such an education. I'm not saying that this is right (or wrong) or that you don't have a point. It's just that this is not as straightforward as you might think.

If a school has to be "above" all of this, it must be funded to such an extent that it is completely free to do the best that it can without any constraints. Sometimes the government plays that role, but that money comes from somewhere (taxpayers). And as an IIM graduate (you mentioned India), I can tell you that being completely funded by the government comes with its own headaches.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72880 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I would say that in the US this is in the noise category in terms of how frequently it happens or how much impact it has on the candidates without extraordinary circumstances.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
I would say that in the US this is in the noise category in terms of how frequently it happens or how much impact it has on the candidates without extraordinary circumstances.
Also, the OP might be interested in articles like this one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 168
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Applications are evaluated as a comprehensive package. It adds to the class diversity to have a son/daughter of a president in the class... it is not all about numbers. It’s about the value an individual brings to the class - pro athletes and performance artists have also been considered highly sought after individuals by adcom. Would you fault HBS for admitting Lionel Messi or Lady Gaga with a gmat 600? It is possible to compensate for a deficiency.

These are strategic admit decisions as they have a very long lasting impact on the school relationship with that family, country, industry, etc.

PS. It is not common for bschool and more of a college thing but if both parents went to the school, and now are serious donors to a school and active in the alum community, and doing a lot for the school, the adcom will have to think twice before they ding the applicant. And if it is a top school, the differences between applicants are very very minute. And while the adcom may still ding them, the rejection letter and message will be delivered very differently. It is a tough job that business schools and colleges have when figuring out the admit decisions. Nobody likes nepotism or favors or injustice but sometimes the good outweighs the bad.

Posted from my mobile device

Lionelle Messi and Lady Gaga have their own independent image. They have worked hard from scratch...
The problem that I am talking about is regarding inheritors. Some X guy got admitted just because he is son of a popular celeb etc etc
The Institute and its Alum who feel it prestigious will lose their own value sitting beside Son/Daughter of some popular celeb who is not worthy enough
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Anirudh, I am sure you would agree that b-schools would want to admit students with the most potential for success.

With success increasingly becoming a factor of whom you know than what you know, I am sure you would appreciate that all these inheritors can rightfully claim admission in the whom you know category:).
GMAT Club Bot