Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [2]
Re: Magoosh 3 month study plan [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shrikunj wrote:
Hi Mike,
I'm sorry I forgot to mention that, but today is week 2,day 4 in my study schedule!
So if i have understood correctly, with about 10 weeks left, i should divide the number of questions from each category by 50? So I believe for example in PS i would need to do about 3-4 problems daily on average to complete all PS problems in the quant review.

Further,another doubt I have about following the schedule is that it doesn't recommend attempting any of the numerous quant/verbal GmatClub tests available, though I have read great reviews about those tests on this forum. So with the time frame I have in hand(plan on giving the GMAT for the first time in mid-October), if/when should i solve these tests to boost my preparation?

PS Yesterday was Guru Purnima in India, an annual day in respect of every 'Guru' or teacher in one's life. Glad that I could get in touch with you,my online GMAT 'guru', for the first time on such a day!

Dear Shrikunj,
Thank you very much for your kind words. While I help folks do well on the GMAT, I hardly consider myself a "guru" in the proper sense of the word. I think that word should be reserved for the luminaries who help us all live to our highest human potential.

You are correct: the Magoosh schedule more or less ignores the GMAT Club tests. We don't recommend them. The math on the GMAT Club Text is superb, largely because the super-genius Bunuel vets all of that. If you need more math practice, that's one place to look, although I would also recommend checking the resources in the other 3-month plans. The Verbal on the GMAT Club Tests is iffy --- some of it is good, but I have seen many very poor questions there. If you want rigorous verbal practice, check out the verbal resources in the 3-month advanced plan.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Mike,
Well, we salute any teacher who helps us achieve our life goals, hence the reference! :)

Okay, so if at all I take them, I should take them to improve my quant performance, and not really use them for verbal?
Also, I just noticed that the Magoosh dashboard has an option where I can attempt two full length CAT tests. But, I couldn't find an allocated time slot in the study schedule to attempt these CAT's... So when exactly should i go ahead and attempt those?

Thanks,
Shrikunj.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shrikunj wrote:
Hi Mike,
Well, we salute any teacher who helps us achieve our life goals, hence the reference! :)

Okay, so if at all I take them, I should take them to improve my quant performance, and not really use them for verbal?
Also, I just noticed that the Magoosh dashboard has an option where I can attempt two full length CAT tests. But, I couldn't find an allocated time slot in the study schedule to attempt these CAT's... So when exactly should i go ahead and attempt those?

Thanks,
Shrikunj.

Dear Shrikunj,
If you want more practice, the GMAT Club exams have good math problems. I would recommend them for quant practice, if you want more. There are also resources in the advanced 3-month plan.

Frankly, I didn't allot time in the schedule for the Magoosh CAT because they draw on the same question bank as the practice questions. I would prefer students to do all the Magoosh questions for practice, and get the most out of the VEs. You already should have six practice CAT from MGMAT, as well as the Power Prep. That's at least 8 practice tests in a three month period. My friend, you don't need more than that.

You seem in a rush to cover as much as possible, under the philosophy that more is better. Beware of sacrificing depth for breadth. Yes, there is a value of doing, say, 50 practice questions over the course of, say, a couple hours. BUT, there is also a value of spending a couple hours deeply reviewing just a 4-6 questions. Each question you get wrong, especially on a CAT, is a potential gold mine for your self-improvement: don't be in such a rush to do more questions that you give short shrift to the review & reflection side of learning. For achieving excellence, going deep is at least as important, if not more important, than going wide.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Dear Mike,
Thanks a lot for the reply. Yes, perhaps I feel more practice will boost my quant score, but i think it would be a better idea to first brush up all the requisite concepts before diving into more in-depth practice. Will avoid taking a Magoosh CAT and rather solve the allocated number of Magoosh problems as given in the study schedule.
Will surely ask for your guidance through the course of my GMAT journey! Thanks for your prompt and insightful responses :)

Thanks,
Shrikunj.
GMAT Club Bot