It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manage major marketing channel for a MB company or...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Manage major marketing channel for a MB company or... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2009, 00:51
own all online marketing strategy for a company with 100MM+ revenue?

Please take a read:

At my current position, I am one of two managers directing and owning one of the largest online marketing spends in the world for a publicly traded company with multi-billion dollar revenues. Our channel drives a significant chunk of that rev. I have significant exposure to executive leadership on a daily basis. Let's imagine that my compensation is 117K a year. I am "only" a manager (keep in mind that director-level individuals routinely step into manager positions at this company in this particular channel simply because we manage/own such a huge amount of spend, the compensation is fairly aggressive, etc.). I imagine this subtlety difficult to communicate to ad coms.

I have the opportunity to join an ecommerce company which is, relative to the company I am currently at, significantly smaller in terms of rev, total employees, ad spend, etc. However, I'd have a large team of direct reports, and I would build and lead multiple significant online marketing channels. Compensation is in the 165K range. I'd also receive a senior director position.

Can I hear b-schooler feedback on which opportunity is most likely to carry weight with ad com? Both jobs have significant appeal to me, and my passion for b-school may help me reach a decision.

Thanks for the read.

Last edited by dominion on 19 Apr 2009, 13:14, edited 2 times in total.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 244 [1], given: 17

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Manage major marketing channel for a MB company or... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2009, 05:54
This post received
KUDOS
I think what's more important to adcoms than position, salary or employer is what you've done in the position. What impact have you had on the organization? Certainly on the surface, going from a manager role to a sr. director role, with a $50k bump in pay looks like a big promotion, but beyond that which role would provide you with better examples of your leadership and other skills?

As I've met more and more current students and admitted students, it's become pretty clear that there is no "right" work experience or role that will wow the adcom, because after reviewing thousands of applications each year they've pretty much seen it all.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 244 [1], given: 17

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2009, 08:55
To add to what Jerz said, I've constantly been hearing that you need to able to demonstrate growth. Not just with titles and paychecks, but also with increased responsibility and impact at work.

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 1

Schools: Ross '10

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2009, 09:14
117K to 165K is a huge jump. Why are you looking at an MBA if you are already this successful? Are you looking to change careers (or) get the MBA rubber stamp? Just curious, 99% of the MBA jobs wont get a higher salary than 165K and most people wont have many direct reports either.

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2163 [1], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2009, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
ncp wrote:
117K to 165K is a huge jump. Why are you looking at an MBA if you are already this successful? Are you looking to change careers (or) get the MBA rubber stamp? Just curious, 99% of the MBA jobs wont get a higher salary than 165K and most people wont have many direct reports either.

Yea, I was about to ask if I could have the 165K job if he doesn't take it.

For what its worth, being that you already have the huge ad spend experience, I'd probably go for the 165K job so that you can demonstrate broad/substantial people management experience.

Kudos [?]: 2163 [1], given: 7

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 761 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2009, 10:20
Sounds like Part-time or executive MBA are better options for you.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 761 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2009, 13:27
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback.

To answer a couple of questions, I'm looking to change careers from an online marketer to a corporate strategist. Additionally, the reoccurring theme I've seen at my current place of employment is that an MBA from a top program is a HUGE enabler of professional growth. Several senior execs hail from Booth, Kellogg, and Harvard, many of them making the leaps to their current/immediately prior positions post b-school.

It may sound cheesy, but I've dreamed of attending a top b school for the last two to three years. I never expected to join the company I'm at or have the opportunity to switch at such a high compensation level, but that said, the dream of attending Kellogg, Harvard, Booth > any immediate compensation or near term monetary reward. God willing, I am going to a top b-school.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Re: Manage major marketing channel for a MB company or...   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2009, 13:27