Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Re: Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink]
If you have any recommendations on preparing for case interviews that would be great too. Appreciate your insights.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
I'll try to write something up in the next few days.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
thanks rhyme. always helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
I'll try to write something up in the next few days.

Thanks in advance.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
I trust rhyme will write a more useful post with actual hints, but for easy reference the process (in chronological order) works as follows:

1) The consulting firms that recruit on campus begin the marketing (aka "stalking") as soon as the school allows them to. At some schools, this means day 1 while at others it means after the blackout period.

2) Marketing takes many forms, such as:
- They send you a binder with info on their firm and a letter listing your classmates which use to work at the firm, urging you to contact them.
- They fund cocktails or other gatherings through these students to promote interactions.
- They send both general and specific e-mails based on the clubs you joined or your career preferences as stated in the resume book, urging you to apply and/or contact their partners (or alumni from your school) at office XYZ.
- They organize conference calls with students and current employees.
- They organize lots of cocktails for you to meet people from the different offices. These cocktails are typically invite only, although if you keep in touch with classmates from each firm (and office), chances are you'll get invited to most.

(All the above- and much more- takes place before the application deadline)

3) Once you apply (typically through their website), and assuming they like your resume, they'll invite you to interview. Note that to apply you typically need to choose a specific office.

4) You go for first round interview. These almost always involve 1 or 2 cases and some other questions (why consulting, why firm XYZ, etc.). Some firms invite a lot of people to 1st round interviews and get really selective after that. Other firms are more selective in their 1st round invitations.

5) If you make it to the next round, you'll typically need to interview with a very senior person at the office where you will work.

6) If they like you, they make you an offer with a specific deadline.

L.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
And how does gmat/gpa fit in with qualifying for the closed list in the above chronology of events?
Any thing/s one can do to boost their chances of making it to the closed list?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
kk.iyer wrote:
And how does gmat/gpa fit in with qualifying for the closed list in the above chronology of events?
Any thing/s one can do to boost their chances of making it to the closed list?

Speaking with alumni from my school.
They said to me only approx 10% of people who applied to consulting where asked for their GMAT score!!!
There's a current alumni who is at a big4 consultancy with a GMAT of 650.

Basic premise is that a higher GMAT/GPA may make it easier to open some interview doors, but it's not a showstopper if you don't have high scores.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Will try to write up post tomorrow. Kind of buried at the moment with midterms.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Posted the beginning here: 108-p462858?t=63411#p462858
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
rhyme, could you give an overview of strengths and weaknesses of the top MC companies, namely: McKinsey, BCG, Bain, ATKearney, Booz Allen Hamilton from the point of view of the student who gained lots of info about those companies beyond the one offered by Vault :) ?

Is the compensation equal at all the top companies and if it's different, how big is the margin?

What is the required language proficiency for working at international offices?

I'm interested in the supply chain, international manufacturing placement, operations, optimization of business processes. Industries of interest - automotive and high-tech, they are getting tied with each other nowadays. For the present moment I feel that the closest companies to my goals are McKinsey and ATKearney, locations - Detroit and Cleveland (?), Canada/Toronto, Moscow, Milan (have to think about this one). What do you think about the choices?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Rhyme, thanks for all the information. Would you be able to comment on the geographical mobility that the big 3 will give their consultants... for example, I want to go to Hong Kong and I am a Mckinsey consultant in the US. Do I need to have a good reason for this or is it quite flexible?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hi, Do you go through the maths test, if you apply via b-school?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Also, can anyone post a good list of resources to prepare for case interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools: Kellogg School of Management - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
aceman626 wrote:
Hi all,

There's some good information for banking in the stickies. Just wondering what the process is for consulting, especially the top firms? Can someone who has gone through the process tell us more?

Thanks.

Usually the top consulting firms will come to campus during the fall quarter. All consulting internship first round interviews take place in a 1-2 week window. Most likely the first round will consist of two cases, one with an associate level and another with a senior associate or principal level. The latter round(s) depend on company, but most likely will consist of 2-3 more cases, often with principal and partner level interviewers.

The latter round(s) will focus more on fit, as they already know that by passing the first round, you can do cases.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mjt wrote:

This is the place I recommend for people who want to make initial preparations for case interviews: https://www.consultingcase101.com

They charge a yearly fee for access but it is worth it in my opinion, as these are real case questions given in past interviews. The benefit of this site is the follows:
1) It gives you a taste of what real questions given by interviewers at different companies look like (you can sort by company name)
2) It gives you good material to practice framing up the problem-solution (in other words, practice building frameworks naturally so that you don't sound overly mechanical come interview time).

Then one month before case interviews start, find a bunch of classmates, alumni, or 2nd years to practice one-on-one mock cases with.

I still practice using cases from this website from time to time, as an exercise to sharpen the mind and keep up with ability to quickly frame up initial approaches towards solving business problems :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pinecrest515 wrote:
mjt wrote:

This is the place I recommend for people who want to make initial preparations for case interviews: https://www.consultingcase101.com

They charge a yearly fee for access but it is worth it in my opinion, as these are real case questions given in past interviews. The benefit of this site is the follows:
1) It gives you a taste of what real questions given by interviewers at different companies look like (you can sort by company name)
2) It gives you good material to practice framing up the problem-solution (in other words, practice building frameworks naturally so that you don't sound overly mechanical come interview time).

Then one month before case interviews start, find a bunch of classmates, alumni, or 2nd years to practice one-on-one mock cases with.

I still practice using cases from this website from time to time, as an exercise to sharpen the mind and keep up with ability to quickly frame up initial approaches towards solving business problems :)

Many thanks for your reply. How much industry knowledge does a firm expect you to have in the case interview? E.g. if I am doing a case interview on automotive industry, will they expect me to have the general industry knowledge?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mjt wrote:
pinecrest515 wrote:
mjt wrote:

Many thanks for your reply. How much industry knowledge does a firm expect you to have in the case interview? E.g. if I am doing a case interview on automotive industry, will they expect me to have the general industry knowledge?

To answer the question, it depends. Generally if you are interviewing for McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Strategy&, Deloitte, Accenture, etc, then technically they do not expect you to be an expert in the industry related to the case. Part of the case exercise is to be given some parameters in any industry, and be able to think through a structured framework on how to answer the case. That said, there are a set of industry primers that will help you if you know them. Each business school has a consulting club that will help you prepare for consulting cases as well as industry primers.

If you are interviewing for more boutique, specialized consulting, then industry knowledge helps. One example would be ZS (pharma and sales).
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2