It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 19:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manbilla's Decision of a Lifetime

new topic post reply Update application status  

Booth/Kellog Part time vs. Ross full time

• 54% [25]
  • 21% [10]
  • 23% [11]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Schools: Ross, Johnson, Tepper, Fisher
Manbilla's Decision of a Lifetime [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 07:34
Alright guys what do you think. Ross full time, tons of debt.

Chicago/Kellogg Saturday program at least 50% employer sponsorship + I get a promotion come fall.

Yes I know I am lame for asking.

Here's the story..... Have a good job that I enjoy. Make good money, and am happy living in this area. Would have to drive to Chicago (2.5 hours) every Saturday for 2.5 years. Or I go back full time lose about 10k selling my hosue and incur massive debt.

Most of you know the rest of my story.

Let's hear it.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 29

Schools: Cornell '11
Re: Manbilla's Decision of a Lifetime [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 07:48
Dude, part time. That is a great option for you! I didnt even know you had been considering that......and I thought we were homies.

"George is getting upset!"

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 29

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 07:54
manbilla wrote:
Have a good job that I enjoy. Make good money, and am happy living in this area.

this scenario actually exists? if yes, then i vote part time program for sure.

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 1

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 12

Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 07:57
part time, but do not envy your weekly commute. That would get old, fast.

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 12

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 08:03
Definitely PT. But you didn't apply to either Kellogg or Booth PT yet, have you???

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
PT program. Easy decision if it were my decision to make. You will have a better "brand name" MBA with no debt...

If the commute starts to wear on you, just go out and buy a new BMW to make it more comfortable.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 1

Schools: HBS(08) - Ding. HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Tuck, Stern, all dings. Yale - Withdrew App. Emory Executive -- Accepted, Matriculated, Withdrewed (yes, I spelled it wrong on purpose). ROSS -- GO BLUE 2011.

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 08:14
Come to Michigan, take a risk!

I guarentee the football will be better this year than last.

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 08:20
Are you admitted to the PT program or would you apply in the fall for starting in 2010? Not sure what the timelines are :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Schools: The School that shall not be named

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 09:18
I think you are a career switcher, ya?
At least functionally... you wanted to switch.

The drawback of going to PT is not being able to use the career offices of the schools.
If you are OK with that then I'd say go for PT

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Schools: Fuqua '11

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 09:26
Hi Manbilla-

When I got my engineering masters I did a program similar to the PT ones you are considering. Worked during the week then weekend class (however it was Fri/Sat every other week rather than Sat every week, something I could do working a gov't schedule). The PT will win any cost/benefit analysis you decide to run hands down. I guess its a question of how much you want the FT lifestyle. The networking, the MBA related clubs, the college experience. If you like your current job, are happy in your current home, sounds as if you are not looking to transition too much.

You will, however, find yourself really cramped in terms of routine and doing fun stuff in life such as traveling / recreational activities. Losing almost every saturday day of your life for 2.5 years is a BIG consideration. It still might be worth it if you are comfortable in your current lifestyle. But just something to keep in mind.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 09:26
manbilla wrote:

Chicago/Kellogg Saturday program at least 50% employer sponsorship + I get a promotion come fall.

Here's the story..... Have a good job that I enjoy. Make good money, and am happy living in this area. Would have to drive to Chicago (2.5 hours) every Saturday for 2.5 years. Or I go back full time lose about 10k selling my hosue and incur massive debt.

Let's hear it.

From BW
http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=79934

I would choose Kellogg/Booth part-time programs over the full-time programs that you mentioned. Brand matters a lot in the MBA world. Some top PT programs also enable you to take a transfer to FT program after the 1st year. If you are interested to change your career, go definitely for an internship. During your first year, try for an internship with your full-time buddies. If you get an internship in your top/dream company, then your post-MBA options will be easy. Best of luck!

www.InterviewBay.com
- Get Ready For the Interview
MBA | Finance | Consulting | General Mgmt

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2216 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 09:30
Voted PT. Given the massive strength of the alumni network (Booth) at your firm, there's really no debate in my mind.

Kudos [?]: 2216 [0], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

Schools: Ross Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 09:39
manbilla wrote:

Let's hear it.

This doesn't sound like a career change - I voted PT because I see no reason to take on all the debt and 2.5 hrs isn't that bad especially if you like your job and the area.

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 14:53
I said make the decision on your own since personally I think all school decisions should be personal...maybe with input from family and significant other...and a mentor or two if you have them. We dont know you nearly as well as those people do, so take whatever is voted on here with a grain of salt and make the decision on your own ignoring everything said in this thread haha.

That said:
If I were in your position and knew where I wanted to be and a PT would be just as likely to get me there as a FT program I would go I would look at doing K/B PT on weekends. Especially if your company will foot the bill or at least some of it. You can do it in 3 to 4 years which is longer but you can keep moving along in your career. I know some PT people get promoted as they continue along.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 5

SVP
SVP

Schools: Kellogg '11

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 20:35
I voted PT :)

I would just make sure that your gf/family knows of the commitment it will take and that it will mean not being available on weekends and such.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 22:19
I'm like RR. I didn't vote, but if I did it would have been the 3rd option :lol:

This quarter - no, wait it's over, anyway - I took classes at Gleacher Center on Wednesday nights. Besides the smaller classes, older chairs, and people coming from work a bit late, I'd say that it is the same thing. Yes, people don't "bond" that much, you won't make perhaps as many connections as in a Full Time program, but in terms of education I believe it is the same.

That said, I just can't believe how people can work and still study, seriously, I had my final today on Financial Instruments (read derivatives) it was hard, pretty hard. I remember somebody here taking a Wharton PT program who said that it was hard, and I agree, in Booth, Kellogg, Wharton and other schools at the same caliber, faculty won't give you a break because you're a PT or a Weekend student, actually I've heard from one professor that sometimes he'd expect more (because of experience in the field).

Oh, and remember that for some classes you will have group meetings. I managed this quarter to have "virtual" group meetings through skype, as everybody in my group was really busy with recruiting, but it was Applied Regression Analysis, which is pretty much math, if it were Competitive Strategy or Marketing for instance I couldn't have done so.

Is it 2.5 hours both ways or each? If it is both ways that's roughly 10 days of commuting :shock: in your whole course.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t57360

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Re: Manbilla's Decision of a Lifetime   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2009, 22:19

Manbilla's Decision of a Lifetime

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap