GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 15:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Math anxiety = brutal score on exam day

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
Re: Math anxiety = brutal score on exam day  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 23:10
tinyinthedesert ,

whoa , is your second test score got you to V47 ? That's huge . Could you throw some light on what were your quant resources ?

" Can't stop learning and failing"

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 04:16
loserunderachiever wrote:
tinyinthedesert ,

whoa , is your second test score got you to V47 ? That's huge . Could you throw some light on what were your quant resources ?
For verbal used the OG 2018 guide and the Princeton review book. That's basically it. I did far far more study in quant than verbal.

For quant I used OG, Manhattan guide advanced quant, a few veritas tests and many gmatclub quant questions

From looking through the debriefs the common factor of the very high verbal scores is an extensive amount of reading, so turn off your TV and get a copy of The Economist.

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 05:22
tinyinthedesert wrote:
Everyone says that GMAT isn't a maths test, but a lot of them have quant or engineering backgrounds. Sure, it's not a maths test if you have a certain level of mathematical fluidity to begin with, but if you don't... Well it's still partly a maths test.
My background wasn't totally dissimilar to yours in that I'm older (31). Despite having a STEM background, a lot of the math in the gmat was very new to me because the math I'd done in school was extremely pure and heavily focused on calculus and alegbra. Many of the concepts in the gmat were entirely new and if not, extremely rusty.
The problem with lack of fluidity in maths is that when faced with a type of problem you've not seen before, you don't know how to solve it, and freeze. For me the only way around this was just slogging my way through a lot of quant problems. I like the gmatclub test bank problems.
Two weeks make a big difference for me - I was able to bump from Q47 to Q49 but what's not reflected in that score was how much less stressful I found the exam. The first time I freaked and had to guess loads. The second time there was only one question I truly was stumped on - the second question in the exam! (I realised the answer later, and I definitely got it wrong).
As well as gmatclub, math revolution system for DS is also useful.
However, it's important to know when you're reaching the point of diminishing returns in quant. IMO it takes LOT of work for people of our profile to raise our quant scores. I probably put 10x the hours into quant than a did verbal and had to do a lot of extra work to get from Q47 to Q49.
As an arts major, I would try and improve your verbal. For me it didn't take many hours extra study and a lot more calm to go from v41 to v47 and a few points up in verbal will have a massive impact on your overall score. Do you know what your verbal weaknesses are?

The fluidity with the math concepts is definitely my downfall. I also did algebra and calculus in high school (ages ago now), but never learned probability or combinatorics, and had forgotten most of the basic math principles like dealing with square roots etc. My brain just seems to settle in the language/arts side and I really have to get it revved up to do math (if that makes any sense). If I take even one day off, then I struggle to get back into it.

I found the exam experience to be very stressful and was not prepared to use the scratch pad in the quant section. I have since bought one off Amazon and have been using it to study, so hopefully that will help. I would be happy with anything over a Q45 on the actual test. I got Q47, 48 and even 49 on my practice tests, so I think it's possible.

I managed to get a V41 on the actual test (now you know exactly how much I bombed quant :(. I bought the report and saw that I got 98% accuracy on reading comprehension, 96% on sentence correction, but only 70% on critical reasoning, so I'm going to focus on those skills as well.

V47 is amazing! I appreciate you empathizing with my struggle, but it sounds like you are a genius!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 06:10
NathalieMathalie wrote:
tinyinthedesert wrote:
Everyone says that GMAT isn't a maths test, but a lot of them have quant or engineering backgrounds. Sure, it's not a maths test if you have a certain level of mathematical fluidity to begin with, but if you don't... Well it's still partly a maths test.
My background wasn't totally dissimilar to yours in that I'm older (31). Despite having a STEM background, a lot of the math in the gmat was very new to me because the math I'd done in school was extremely pure and heavily focused on calculus and alegbra. Many of the concepts in the gmat were entirely new and if not, extremely rusty.
The problem with lack of fluidity in maths is that when faced with a type of problem you've not seen before, you don't know how to solve it, and freeze. For me the only way around this was just slogging my way through a lot of quant problems. I like the gmatclub test bank problems.
Two weeks make a big difference for me - I was able to bump from Q47 to Q49 but what's not reflected in that score was how much less stressful I found the exam. The first time I freaked and had to guess loads. The second time there was only one question I truly was stumped on - the second question in the exam! (I realised the answer later, and I definitely got it wrong).
As well as gmatclub, math revolution system for DS is also useful.
However, it's important to know when you're reaching the point of diminishing returns in quant. IMO it takes LOT of work for people of our profile to raise our quant scores. I probably put 10x the hours into quant than a did verbal and had to do a lot of extra work to get from Q47 to Q49.
As an arts major, I would try and improve your verbal. For me it didn't take many hours extra study and a lot more calm to go from v41 to v47 and a few points up in verbal will have a massive impact on your overall score. Do you know what your verbal weaknesses are?

The fluidity with the math concepts is definitely my downfall. I also did algebra and calculus in high school (ages ago now), but never learned probability or combinatorics, and had forgotten most of the basic math principles like dealing with square roots etc. My brain just seems to settle in the language/arts side and I really have to get it revved up to do math (if that makes any sense). If I take even one day off, then I struggle to get back into it.

I found the exam experience to be very stressful and was not prepared to use the scratch pad in the quant section. I have since bought one off Amazon and have been using it to study, so hopefully that will help. I would be happy with anything over a Q45 on the actual test. I got Q47, 48 and even 49 on my practice tests, so I think it's possible.

I managed to get a V41 on the actual test (now you know exactly how much I bombed quant :(. I bought the report and saw that I got 98% accuracy on reading comprehension, 96% on sentence correction, but only 70% on critical reasoning, so I'm going to focus on those skills as well.

V47 is amazing! I appreciate you empathizing with my struggle, but it sounds like you are a genius!

Luckily CR is probably the easiest section to improve as it's not based on any prior knowledge, unlike SC

Here is my strategy for CR

1) Read the question and identify the type of question (weaken strengthen flaw in argument etc)
2) Read the passage twice, carefully.
3) identify the flaw in the reasoning or any assumptions made, especially correlation/causation assumptions
4) from this, think about what the correct answer would address/sound like
5) only then look at the answers. This prevents you getting "swayed" by an incorrect answer choice and letting that affect your own analysis. Be particularly careful with choices that are outside the scope of the passage. Be careful also to note the exact wording used in the passage

The hardest SC questions for me were the very high level bold type argument structure analysis questions. I couldn't quite get my head around what the GMAT considered a "conclusion", a "supporting statement" etc. I got a very tricky one in the exam and wouldn't be surprised it if was one of my wrong answers.

My top maths score was a q49 on gmat club which probably translates as a q50 on OG. I got q49 in the exam (missed an easy 2nd question and the final question) so it is possible to score near the top of your range, so long as the tests you did aren't repeats of any material you've done. Hopefully that helps relax you.

The high level combinator/permutation questions often involve calculating the number of total allowed combinations and subtracting the disallowed. The key to this is a) making sure that you identify all the disallowed patters and B) making sure you identify when order matters and when it doesn't

For me the hardest questions were inequalities DS, especially absolute inequalities, because I just had to test so many options and often ended up missing a crucial one. I found these questions very time consuming and extra time is not something I had to spare on quant.

Remember there's a +/- 30 point margin of error on the exam. If you felt you had a bad run, you know you can do better.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 09:58
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi NathalieMathalie,

Given what you described in your initial post - and considering your timeframe - I think that you would find the Quant Score Booster Study Plan to be the best 'fit' for your needs. You'll have access to the ENTIRE EMPOWERgmat Course though, so you can work through any of the Verbal Modules too (if you have the time or the desire).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Hey Rich. Just rewrote the GMAT and managed to bring my score up to where I wanted it! I significantly increased my quant score (By 9 points in 3 weeks) and it is 100% because of your test it and triage strategies. I feel confident applying with this score, so thank you! I might not be an assassin, but at least I'm not a victim anymore!

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Math anxiety = brutal score on exam day  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 14:31
Hi NathalieMathalie,

That's FANTASTIC news! What was your Official Score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? A 9-point increase to your Quant Scaled Score in such a short period of time is a noteworthy achievement (and as long as your GMAT Score is in the competitive 'range' that your Schools are looking for, you won't necessarily need a really high GMAT Score to get into your first-choice School!)!

1) What application deadlines are you facing?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 14:52
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi NathalieMathalie,

That's FANTASTIC news! What was your Official Score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? A 9-point increase to your Quant Scaled Score in such a short period of time is a noteworthy achievement (and as long as your GMAT Score is in the competitive 'range' that your Schools are looking for, you won't necessarily need a really high GMAT Score to get into your first-choice School!)!

1) What application deadlines are you facing?

Rich
Hey Rich, I feel weird posting the final score I will be applying with on here for some reason. It is within 10 points of my school's average My quant score went from Q32 to Q41 (obviously still not a strong suit for me, but much much better than 3 weeks ago.) The verbal score was much higher.

I have a 3.7 GPA and will be applying to the same school for my MBA, so I think that helps. I also have 8 years of industry experience and a somewhat unique profile (oil painter/designer turned marketer, and I'm a mom of 2).

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 11:37
Hi NathalieMathalie,

It certainly sounds like you have the GMAT 'piece' of the puzzle covered - and your profile appears suitably 'unique' (which is good), so now you just have to make sure that you're properly 'marketing yourself' to each School that you apply to. As such - even if you're going to assemble your applications on your own - you might find it useful to consult with an Admissions Expert on your profile/plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Math anxiety = brutal score on exam day &nbs [#permalink] 27 Mar 2018, 11:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Math anxiety = brutal score on exam day

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap