It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 18:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mayor: Some of my critics claim that the city's current budget

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior CR Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1114 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Mayor: Some of my critics claim that the city's current budget [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 20:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:26) correct 25% (01:24) wrong based on 167 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Mayor: Some of my critics claim that the city's current budget deficit has been caused by my policies, and that I am responsible for the deficit. Although I admit that the city has run a budget deficit during my tenure. I do not agree that I am at fault for this problem. The economic policies of the prior administration caused the current deficit, and were it not for the economic policies of my administration, the current deficit would be even worse.

In the Mayor's argument, the two boldface portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first is a premise that has been used against the mayor; the second supports the critics of the mayor.

B. The first is a statement accepted by the mayor; the second is a consequence of the critics' claims.

C. The first is a fact that the mayor believes does not contradict his conclusion; the second offers support in consideration of that conclusion.

D. The first is evidence of unlawful activity by the mayor; the second is evidence offered by the mayor to explain that activity.

E. The first is evidence that undermines te mayor's main position; the second is a statement that follows from that position.

Source: Powerscore CR Bible
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 1114 [0], given: 62

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1371 [0], given: 440

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Mayor: Some of my critics claim that the city's current budget [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 05:18
broall wrote:
Mayor: Some of my critics claim that the city's current budget deficit has been caused by my policies, and that I am responsible for the deficit. Although I admit that the city has run a budget deficit during my tenure. I do not agree that I am at fault for this problem. The economic policies of the prior administration caused the current deficit, and were it not for the economic policies of my administration, the current deficit would be even worse.

In the Mayor's argument, the two boldface portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first is a premise that has been used against the mayor; the second supports the critics of the mayor.

B. The first is a statement accepted by the mayor; the second is a consequence of the critics' claims.

C. The first is a fact that the mayor believes does not contradict his conclusion; the second offers support in consideration of that conclusion.

D. The first is evidence of unlawful activity by the mayor; the second is evidence offered by the mayor to explain that activity.

E. The first is evidence that undermines te mayor's main position; the second is a statement that follows from that position.

Source: Powerscore CR Bible.

This argument begins with the classic “some of my critics claim” construction discussed in Chapter Two. As we know from that discussion, the conclusion of the argument will typically be the opposite of the claim. In this case, the conclusion comes in the second sentence when the mayor states the following:

Conclusion: I do not agree that I am at fault for this problem [the budget deficit].

Because neither bolded portion overlaps the conclusion, the bolded portions must be premises or counterpremises. Take a moment to go back and look at some of the indicator words—see the “although” just before the first bolded portion? The presence of that word means that the first bolded portion is given as a counterpremise to the author’s conclusion. That is, the mayor admits that there was a budget deficit, and this fact possibly undermines his or her argument in some way, but the mayor still believes that the conclusion is true despite this fact.

The second bolded portion comes after the conclusion and is used as a premise to support the conclusion.

Thus, one bolded portion is a counterpremise, and the other is a premise, and the correct answer must reflect that fact.

In summary, the pertinent portions of the argument appear as follows:

Critics claim: The critics claim that the mayor is responsible for the current budget deficit.

Bolded portion: In this counterpremise the mayor admits that there is a budget deficit.

Conclusion: The conclusion indicates that even though there is a budget deficit, the mayor is not responsible for the deficit, contrary to the claim of the critics. Bolded portion: This is a premise that indicates that the mayor’s economic policies have actually benefitted the city, not hurt the city.

A quick scan of the answer choices reveals that each will be broken into two parts: the first part will describe the first bolded section and the second part will describe the second bolded section.

Answer choice (A): The first half of this answer is a classic Contender. It may very well be that the counterpremise has been used against the mayor. Setting that aside, however, the description of the second bolded portion is inaccurate, and so this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (B): This is classic Half-Right, Half-Wrong answer choice. The first bolded portion is a statement accepted by the mayor; however, it is not the case that the second bolded portion is a “consequence of the critics’ claims.”

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer. In this case, although the mayor admits that the first bolded portion is true, he or she does not believe that fact has a negative impact on the conclusion.

Answer choice (D): This answer begins poorly because we do not know that the first boldface portion is evidence of unlawful activity by the mayor.

Answer choice (E): This is another answer where the first bolded portion causes many people to leave the answer as a Contender. However, the description of the second bolded portion is inaccurate because the second portion is not a consequence of the mayor’s main position but rather supports the mayor’s position (this is a direct test of your ability to discern a premise from a conclusion).

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1371 [0], given: 440

Re: Mayor: Some of my critics claim that the city's current budget   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2017, 05:18

Mayor: Some of my critics claim that the city's current budget

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap