GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 22:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA application after Mfin

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
MBA application after Mfin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 09:36
Hello,

I am wondering how common the Mfin -> work experience -> Top MBA route is and if my masters will necessarily help me in the application process?

As a European, going to do a MBA is relatively uncommon here as most people stop after a masters, but it has always been my dream to go to a top B-school in the US such as HBS or Stanford. I am worried about the very competitive admissions process however and was wondering how I can start to position myself for it (through volunteerism, other 'soft factors' etc.)

Bit of background:
-Top European undergrad, 4.0 GPA equivalent
-LSE MScFin, with Distinction
-760 GMAT (expires after two or three years - REALLY don't want go through the process to retake again)
-Currently working in financial services in London
-Typical/generic sports and extracurriculars you normally see

However, given the high cost of a MBA, was just wondering if it will be worth pursuing, and if so, how to position my application to gain admission?

Thanks!
ARLee Consulting
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
Re: MBA application after Mfin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 10:04
Hi LTSchneider,

I'm also European and I totally get your point regarding MBAs being uncommon in Europe after a masters.

However, it is not that uncommon as you think. Many people pursue an MBA after a masters. I'm one of those. I did my undergrad in Europe, got an MSc in the US, and got into business school three years later.

Your masters will definitely help you since you attended a very well known school and graduated with Distinction.

Regarding whether it would be worth pursuing and how to position yourself... it would be hard to answer here right now, as we don't know much about you. The main questions you need to ask yourself are: "Why do I want to pursue an MBA? What are my career goals, and how will an MBA help me achieve them?".

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +52 1 55 2702 0059
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: http://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Please, email us your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 20:47
Having a dream to attend business school is a good thing and can't be the only reason to apply for an MBA program. You need to be clear on why you need an MBA. You already have an MFin degree and you are currently working in Financial services, so if you want to remain in the same industry/job function after MBA, then schools would probably think you don't need a 2 year full time MBA course, which is generally pursued by career switchers. As advised by Alex, you should introspect on reasons for getting an MBA and try to form a logical connection among your current education, current work, MBA degree and post MBA goals.

I would recommend a couple of articles for you from GMATClub MBA Guide: Chapter #1, 2, and 5: Why MBA?, Why Now?, and Which Schools to Apply to?

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 11:18
Thank you all for the feedback!

About why I want a MBA:

London is quite a good place to work, but I feel that the US would provide me with a better set of opportunities (looking to move into PE or VC). Obviously, the LSE name doesn't carry as much weight over there, so a MBA seems like the logical next step for career progression. Down the road though, hopefully after a stint on the buyside, I want to start my own company, and given the entrepreneurial nature of H/S, I feel like this would be a strong fit for my goals. Wharton would also be very good, given my background in finance and its network in the industry which would allow me to get a strong start
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 14:30
Hi there,

If you eventually want to go down the entrepreneurial path, then I think you can make the case that you need the MBA to round out your business skillset. Your academic, and it looks like your professional, experience are strong; you'll want to make sure to bolster the extracurricular side of things as well as you think about the top schools.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)
Bio: https://www.ivygroupe.com/founder-ceo

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA application after Mfin &nbs [#permalink] 03 Jan 2018, 14:30

MBA application after Mfin

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap