Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

What's the minimum amount of sleep you need to consistently function at optimal levels?

You may select 1 option
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I guess you can either (1) befriend a narcoleptic and ask them for some of their Modafinil (2) find some online pharmacy that will ship you the stuff from Thailand or (3) if you have a friend who is a doctor, see if they'll write you a scrip.

Seems like the effects of the drug aren't very well understood, probably best just to try to find time to sleep and keep things natural.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Maybe the guy out on the corner has some spare modafinil lying around.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't like taking any type of medication at all if I can help it (other than alcohol :) ). I think I'd probably just cut back on going to class or studying if business school is really going to be that demanding.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
squali83 wrote:
I have operated on 4-5 hours for about 2 years now. Just find that the day is way too short, after working, hitting the gym and hanging out with my fiancee and friends the time seems to just disappear. I was assuming that going back to school will allow me to have somewhat of a slower paced life....I hope I was not wrong!?

That's amazing. :shock: What's your daily caffeine consumption level like?

I drink about 48 oz. of diet soda and that is it. I have been very dedicated with staying in shape for over 5 years now. It is weird but if I miss a week at the gym I feel more run down than if I am operating on 2-3 hours of sleep. I think lifting weights and running is very important to having sufficient energy anyone who works out regularly can attest to the natural high you have when you are serious about eating right and working out.

Hey little brother, I've been all about staying in shape for over 15 years now and can personally attest that in order to make your best gains in muscular regrowth, you need to eat well, take the right combination of supplements, and sleep. A week (heck even a couple of days) away from the gym and I feel like crap as well. We could exhaust this topic for hours, however that's not the point of this poll.

Flashing back a decade ago when I was about 22~23, surely sleeping four hours a night was not an anomaly, especially working two part time jobs and going to school full time. However, back then it wasn't by choice and the accumulated sleep deprivation did take its toll every semester (catching colds, the flu etc..).

My concern is that many former colleagues who are currently studying at b-school frequently complain about not being able to get enough sleep. They attend classes from 8:30am~3:30pm, club activities and social events until around 9pm, and then meet with groups to crack cases until about 1~2am. Add in a commute and shower, and the day comes to a close at about 3am.

That being the case, it's safe to assume that most of us will be sleeping between 2~7am, or banking on about five hours during weeknights.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm hoping your friends are exceptionally hard-workers, or people who choose to take on so many social activities that they're forced to sacrifice sleep.

My friends that are in, or have been through business school seem to have very relaxed schedules. Of these friends I can think of two people at Stern, two people at HBS, one person at Tuck, a few people at Boston College, and one person at USC who I have spoken to and they all have said more or less the same thing: There are a million opportunities and you can't take advantage of all of them, but if you pick just one or two career interests, you can easily have a "normal" schedule.

Most of them seem to either (1) Work really hard during the week, e.g. from 7am until 10pm and then they have their weekends wide open, or (2) They take it easy during the week, e.g. from 7am until 6pm and then catch up on work on the weekends.

There's probably a selection bias here because most of my friends are similar to me in that they're not overly-ambitious or type-A personalities, they definitely value having a balance in their life and having a certain amount of down-time.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
squali83 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
squali83 wrote:
I have operated on 4-5 hours for about 2 years now. Just find that the day is way too short, after working, hitting the gym and hanging out with my fiancee and friends the time seems to just disappear. I was assuming that going back to school will allow me to have somewhat of a slower paced life....I hope I was not wrong!?

That's amazing. :shock: What's your daily caffeine consumption level like?

I drink about 48 oz. of diet soda and that is it. I have been very dedicated with staying in shape for over 5 years now. It is weird but if I miss a week at the gym I feel more run down than if I am operating on 2-3 hours of sleep. I think lifting weights and running is very important to having sufficient energy anyone who works out regularly can attest to the natural high you have when you are serious about eating right and working out.

Hey little brother, I've been all about staying in shape for over 15 years now and can personally attest that in order to make your best gains in muscular regrowth, you need to eat well, take the right combination of supplements, and sleep. A week (heck even a couple of days) away from the gym and I feel like crap as well. We could exhaust this topic for hours, however that's not the point of this poll.

Flashing back a decade ago when I was about 22~23, surely sleeping four hours a night was not an anomaly, especially working two part time jobs and going to school full time. However, back then it wasn't by choice and the accumulated sleep deprivation did take its toll every semester (catching colds, the flu etc..).

My concern is that many former colleagues who are currently studying at b-school frequently complain about not being able to get enough sleep. They attend classes from 8:30am~3:30pm, club activities and social events until around 9pm, and then meet with groups to crack cases until about 1~2am. Add in a commute and shower, and the day comes to a close at about 3am.

That being the case, it's safe to assume that most of us will be sleeping between 2~7am, or banking on about five hours during weeknights.

I personally do not think anyone would choose to sleep only 4 hours a night. However, as you said responsibilities that one has keeps them to that limited sleep schedule. As for the B-School schedule, I have really only heard that demanding life you described from Darden students. Otherwise, it seems that the lifestyle is more relaxed than what we are experiencing now. I imagine that 6 - 7 hours a night is the norm.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
I shudder the day when these medications become prescriptionless and everyone starts taking them -- i read an article where the makers of modafinil are trying to make this happen.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
It's Sunday afternoon in Japan. I slept 10 hours and 42 minutes last night and feel fantastic. Many people disagree with the notion that sleeping in on the weekends is healthy because it throws off the body's circadian rhythum. Personally, I think it serves as efficient recharge time for optimizing performance on Monday and Tuesday (morning). By Wednesday, I need the 30min "siesta" to sustain a 12 hour workday.

Sure hope groups are given the option to start meeting/studying in the afternoon on Sundays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My head always hurts terribly when i sleep anything less than 5.5 hrs a day. So for busy weeks I sleep from 5-6 hrs on the weekdays and 10 hrs+ on the weekends.

I don't think it pays to cut back on the sleep; I do try to be more productive at work and other stuff with constant time limits and half hourly reminders.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am the best with around 7-8.
anything less and I am cranky :)
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
It gives me wings! :-D
Attachments

0326070951.jpg
0326070951.jpg [ 169.28 KiB | Viewed 1840 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thats a nice award amount there on that piece of paper.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:

That award is actually my bonus for the year! :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
rhyme wrote:

$2MM? Not bad.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
squali83 wrote:
rhyme wrote:

$2MM? Not bad.

Well if it was my bonus for the year, I doubt I would be attending an MBA program next year... but I im sure there is someone to funnel the funds into my bank account!?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:

We only have the small sized cans available here in J-land.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
squali83 wrote:

We only have the small sized cans available here in J-land.

How small...I cannot imagine them being any smaller than the ones here? It probably is the angle of the picture that distorts the size.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3