Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
My main problem is the combined stress of work, applications, and a house in new england that I have to finish putting the heating system into before it freezes. At times I am working on essays when I am thinking of a work problem and there are times I am sitting at my desk and totally spaced out with thoughts of essays in my mind.

It sucks that everything has come down at the exact same point in time. I mean if I wasnt busy with work and my house this would be simple. If I wasn't dealing with apps my house and work wouldnt be a worry. I have to many things going on and not enough time in the day. I think I am averaging 5 hrs of sleep a night because I have been going to work at 6am so I can get out a decent time to work on essays all evening. I know if I didnt get home till 8 at night I would only get a few hours before I lost all focus.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't really understand what is going on at work right now. I just had a performance review and had one of my best reviews ever, which was quite surprising. Today they added another member to my team that has the same role I do, so I can't figure out why they added him to the team. He has been around for awhile tho, so its not like I would have the opportunity to manage him :?.

If I get into a bschool, I really couldn't give a hoot tho, haha.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I might be shown the door too...if not now, very soon.
I have not been concentrating at all!!!..Had been yelled at a few times too..:)
It will be really tough, if I do not make it to a B school this year..
God, are you listening?? :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: MBA Applications affecting work - anyone? [#permalink]
aviroop wrote:

I am concerned how things are turning worse at work. Ever since my 2 recommenders have heard about my MBA plans, things have gone haywire.

Anyone else in this sinking boat?

Have you thought of confronting them about it? I mean, in a nice way. Say "Is my pursuit of an MBA a problem?"

Pro Tip: Tape record it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
the only promotion on the horizon for me is to major shareholder on this site
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
dabots wrote:
the only promotion on the horizon for me is to major shareholder on this site

LOL
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, I've definitely been sidelined for sure. But I wouldn't say that my manager is against my B-school plans 'cause he's doing a pretty good job with the reccos. I feel that he really does want me to get into a top school. I guess he's just making sure that there aren't any critical dependencies on me if I end up leaving. Can't really blame him for that...
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
amen to that,
I understand management's concerns that they dont want to be dependent on me. But the problem is compounded by the fact that I have acquired the status of a leper. Not a single manager is picking me up for projects. Now if I was admitted, I wouldnt care - I would be playing polo or trying hard for VP level by beating kryzak on this forum. But that hasnt happened. The attitude among folks now is - Hey you are going to b-school, so we dont need you.

rhyme - I talked to management. Did not have a recorder, but I could clearly feel that my manager just doesnt want to put me on any new/ interesting assigments. Nothing about assigning me to projects, but constantly prodding me to find out if and when I will turn in my resignation letter. He went one step further to ask me in plain English if I wanted to work in this company in the future.

The callous attitude is what saddens me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh, I thought that I'm the only one who has this kind of problem, while other people on this forum easily juggle work, family life and applications, writing dozens of drafts for every essay... It's almost the same here - while I was able to take off from work to prepare for tests - it was summer time and not too much tasks, now people return to their offices and want a lot to be delivered before the New Year. So, the workload goes up significantly and I already started to wake me up at 5.30-6.30 to devote some fresh brain to essays. At the same time, my boss asked me a week ago if I don't mind to prepare another guy to take my work after I'm admitted. By taking some more tasks on me I postponed this preparation until January-March. Hope for the best. Yesterday received brochure from Tuck and dreamed a little bit of being one of the people on these photos.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
It seems I am slightly better off. I am able to spend adequate time on office work. Actually, there is n't much as of now ;)

Not sure of promotion, but except my immediate boss no body else in the management knows about my b-school plans. But I did ask for promotion in the recent appraisal. Boss said I am justified in my expectations. However, not sure of the final decision.

A few days back, there was some change in the reporting structure. Now I would be reporting to another manager. So it is a new game again. But this change happened before I asked for promotion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
me too swimming in this very boat ;)

have put all my eggs in the MBA basket.......work wise, I pretty much have locked myself out of my company's inner circle by turning down my bosses offer of a jaunt to Vegas after my sales trip in the US. Instead I went for a crazy 2 week - 6 college whilrwind. In fact while on that frigging trip (there were just three of us - my boss, me an the general manager - my nemisis), half the days after work, my boss would invite us out for drinks......an I would say no......an even when I went I would have like a beer tops. Boss I think saw this as a snub an would just hang out with the GM after that.

So peeps........if things do not go as planned, I face a very real prospect of being made to report to this very GM. Aaaarrrggggg

Oh btw.....where do they get those gals for the brochures?? All of them must have taken off the day I visited their schools
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Let me investigate that matter since it clearly lies in my domain and expertise - I will analyze every picture on the brochure
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
Let me investigate that matter since it clearly lies in my domain and expertise - I will analyze every picture on the brochure

aviroop, please, shed the light what are the girls in Columbia who make so many people in ED :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wouldn't say that my work is bad yet, but its probably down to average. I am looking forward to January, not just because all my apps will be in and I won't have to worry about working on them, but also because I will be able to ramp up my effort at work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
aviroop wrote:
The management just dropped me and put a new guy in charge who just joined work in August. He is actually a good friend of mine. Nothing against my colleague but it feels sad to know that I was not even approached, nor even considered for leading this project.

I am concerned how things are turning worse at work. Ever since my 2 recommenders have heard about my MBA plans, things have gone haywire.

I got sidelined for promotion, received no bonus and now not even getting to continue the projects I started. Now I have been put into a project that has the reputation of being assigned for people who like to be in a rut.

Employeers are always doing what is best for them - which is why they sidelined you. If you are not focusing 100% on work then in their eyes, they need to find a replacement or turn over the work to someone who will accept it and complete it.

I am on your side, however. An employer is supposed to support your drive for a better education - which in turns makes a better worker. I have a situation where I work that everyone is happy and telling me to finish schooling, etc, yet - just like you - I am left entirely out of projects which are in my scope, I'm turned down for promotions, etc etc. They look at a studying worker as more of an obligation than an asset.

Things are becoming sour where I work because of my schooling. So my plan, ultimately, is to stay here and get screwed for as long as it takes for me to finish my Bachelors (~1 year away) and then continue onto my mba. After that, I'm obviously going to be searching for another job. I want to do an MBA in a different field than I am in today (IT).

But don't thnk you are alone. Many of us are on the same sinking boat.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
aviroop wrote:

Anyone else in this sinking boat?

Have you thought of confronting them about it? I mean, in a nice way. Say "Is my pursuit of an MBA a problem?"

Pro Tip: Tape record it.

If they are like the jerks that I work with, to his face, they are going to rave about him going for his MBA and telling him that's the right thing to do, etc. It's behind his back - when evaluation/promotion/new project time comes, he'll be off the list because - oh yeah, he is going to school. He won't be able to focus on this project (or whatever it is) as much as someone else. That is how I am looked at here where I current work - a US Gov. funded organization - and I have been here for over 8 years with significant progress/growth up until recently. They are even giving me a partner - someone with maybe 2 years of 'repetative work' experience so I can (perhaps) mold them into an efficient worker like I am... Fat chance. Being screwed is a 2-way street! =P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I luckily got my promotion this past spring before my plans were public...and due to my industry there is no more promotions in the near future anyways. My work hasn't cut me out of any assignments or treated me poorly. I think the difference is there is no one to take on my work anyways so they cant put it on someone else.

Companies do that because they dont know when you are going to leave so they dont want to give you lots of responsibilities and then have you pack up and leave two weeks later. Also the promotion thing, if you get promoted over someone who is showing "loyalty" to the company by not leaving for a school or another company its going to hurt them. I know if someone here was applying to school and was leaving anyways I would be annoyed if they got picked over me for a promotion even if they were the best person for the job. Its just human nature to be bothered because at this point we are all basically saying goodbye in a very long drawn out way.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2