It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 17:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA at 33 from abroad

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA at 33 from abroad [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 16:58
I am a Chartered Accountant from India working with Big4 (in Tax-Transfer Pricing domain). My age is 33. I have 8 years of work experience. I want to change my work profile and accordingly planning to pursue 1 year MBA from abroad. Is it worth to pursue MBA at this age and stage? My academics not good, considering that which business schools are recommended (USA, UK & Europe) for 1 year MBA?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 31

Re: MBA at 33 from abroad [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 01:10
cajainajit wrote:
I am a Chartered Accountant from India working with Big4 (in Tax-Transfer Pricing domain). My age is 33. I have 8 years of work experience. I want to change my work profile and accordingly planning to pursue 1 year MBA from abroad. Is it worth to pursue MBA at this age and stage? My academics not good, considering that which business schools are recommended (USA, UK & Europe) for 1 year MBA?

Hi Ajit,
There are so many candidates like you believe me. There is no age barrier at all. If you can manage your finances and stay out of the work force for 1-1.5 year then MBA is the way to go. I think you are underselling yourself. A CA can't be that bad in academics. If you're talking about GMAT, then practice practice practice. If you're talking about your previous academic record, well that also can be managed. If you're talking about surviving at an MBA school, well you're there to learn aren't you?
I agree with the choice of 1 year program. There are excellent schools in all the geographies you mentioned above.
I would recommend you shortlist schools based on below mentioned parameters:
1. Geography (USA/EU/Canada/etc)
2. Function & Industry (some schools are known for marketing and some for finance)
3. Approachability (Harvard at 630 is less likely)
4. Post MBA Goals

Please short list your schools (Around 5-6) and let me know. I would be happy to assist you should you need any more clarification.
Best,

Deep A.
Chief Counselling Officer
http://www.EduSimplified.com

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 31

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 01:20
cajainajit wrote:

I guess you should first decide what work profile you want to move to. Very few schools are good across all verticals. Most schools will have 1 specialization they are very well known for. For example INSEAD for consulting, Whatron for finance, Stanford for tech and so on. Once you have decided your target profile, you can then shortlist ;ets say the top 20 schools there and then eliminate few more based on some other aspects that might be important for you. Such as geography, tuition fee, etc. With that you can then look at what your target GMAT score should be and move ahead.

At 8 years work ex, I think your professional achievement would take more priority than academics. A big four experience is pretty good I'd say. I believe after 8 years you would be manager. So that should come useful.

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 75

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 23:10
Age is not barrier but keeping in view your experience and age opt for EMBA since after 33 it is less likely that you will get nto a decent MBA Program

Got Q42,V17
Target#01 Q45,V20--April End

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 75

Re: MBA at 33 from abroad   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2017, 23:10