GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 11:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA at 37 with PhD and 2 years academic research

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
MBA at 37 with PhD and 2 years academic research  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 10:16
Okay, so it's like this. I have a PhD in life sciences and bioinformatics with mass spectrometry in focus. Two years working experience in university as scientist. In my third year now. PhD was not the best, only one publication in below average journal.

But now the world has changed for me. I want to do something meaningful and ready to work as hard as needed.

Is an MBA from a premier institute can help? Some friends are saying it'll be better for me to first join a company and have industry experience.

What do you suggest?

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: MBA at 37 with PhD and 2 years academic research  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 15:21
arnabroy my recommendation would be something like Sloan fellows or Stanford MSX, those are intended for the mid-career professional, 37 is frankly too old for a full-time MBA.

I'd say the 35 is really kind of the maximum on that. You might pursue an MBA at IMD, that program is also targeting the more experienced candidate but 37 is still old

The USC Bear MBA is a program geared for people in mid-career who are interested in an international consulting job and with your industrial experience your scientific background that might be a possibility.

Just kind of a bit too old for the 2 year full-time programs....there might be some possibilities with part-time programs but check into pt profiles with the admissions office before decking your time, money and future against it.

All in all I think that the two programs I mentioned would be the best, an Executive MBA is really not appropriate for your situation.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 20:59
MBAPrepCoach Thank you for your genuine and expert advice. Before jumping into the investment of considerable time and money, I'll look into the best options suggested by you.

However, I want to understand your statement in a little more detail here. Which one, in your experience, might be the primary obstacle if I go for a full-time MBA? What is the reason? Is it that the business school themselves don't prefer old students? Or is it that after graduation it will be impossible to convince a company to recruit me in a good role? If I excel in the fundamentals, will age matter? Or is it something else?

I'd request your honest view on the above.
SVP
SVP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 21:05
Business schools don't prefer older candidates because because it's a little bit difficult for them to find jobs. If McKinsey is hiring Associate Consultants across the board at a certain salary they don't want to pay a twenty-six-year-old the same as a 37 year old. So this becomes tricky.

Programs want for their statistics...the job statistics to look really good and so if you look like someone who might be difficult place you're going to be less competitive in this process.

And I'm not sure but I think that it might be a little awkward to have older students mixed with younger students bc it's also a social networking type thing....and so you don't want to get like the kids table and the parents table situation going.

Think about an MBA education as a product from the perspective of the person buying it, they want to be surrounded by peers (network) they can relate to. This would be secondary the primary one is the complications that arise with regards to recruitment.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 19:31
Thank you very much for the honest suggestions.

I'll now think twice before spending money and time and do detailed research first. May be I'll go into one year programs instead.

I have another query regarding my career. See, whatever experience I have till now (2 years after my doctorate) is in an academic environment which is completely focused on academic research.

Now if I opt for an one year program from a branded school, how will be my chances of starting a successful executive career?

Or would it be better acquiring some years of experience in the industry first and then opt for the management program?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA at 37 with PhD and 2 years academic research &nbs [#permalink] 19 Jul 2018, 19:31

MBA at 37 with PhD and 2 years academic research

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap