It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 16:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA for career change

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA for career change [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 19:26
I received a bachelors in chemistry at hunter college but honestly plan to do nothing with it. I was thinking about getting a second bachelors in economics but someone suggested I should do an mba. My gpa is a 3.33 so I definitely cannot get into a top 20 mba program. I am from ny so was thinking about applying to baruch, suny buffalo, suny Binghamton, and suny Albany. Before I apply I just wanted to hear from others about whether this is a good idea. None of those schools are ranked high. But in my case as a career changer do you think this is a good idea? It seems like getting a second bachelors is pointless if I can get an MBA and receive a higher starting salary.

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 77

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: MBA for career change [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 05:41
Hi Denis, the answer to this question is whether or not you have work experience. If you have two plus years of work experience than you would be a viable Contender for an MBA, depending upon what you've done of course. If you have a track record of leadership and impact that would position you well. Of course there are many many other factors. Your thoughts about a GPA of 3.3 keeping you out of a top 20 school could not be more misguided. I have countless examples but I'm thinking off the top of my head of someone who I got into MIT Sloan who had a 3.3 and NYU Stern who had a 3.0. The first one had a GMAT of 700 and the second had a GMAT of 730, which is not really that high for an IT Indian applicant, but his strongest qualification given that he did not have any extracurricular involvement, international experience, or hobbies. Your GMAT score means a great deal more than your GPA in this process. You would also need to have good solid recommenders. Are you thinking about applying next month? Or round two? I would imagine probably round 2 because you didn't mention the GMAT. If you have the work experience I've mentioned then I would focus on getting the GMAT nailed and then take it from there.. if you don't have any work experience, right now, an MBA is really just not a fit for you. You would consider a master's in economics maybe from the London School of Business or potentially a masters in management. If you want an MBA then you need to have that work experience to really appreciate what you're learning in business school and put it in context. Good luck!
Farrell

http://MBAPrepCoach.COM

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 77

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 21:29
denis92 wrote:
I received a bachelors in chemistry at hunter college but honestly plan to do nothing with it. I was thinking about getting a second bachelors in economics but someone suggested I should do an mba. My gpa is a 3.33 so I definitely cannot get into a top 20 mba program. I am from ny so was thinking about applying to baruch, suny buffalo, suny Binghamton, and suny Albany. Before I apply I just wanted to hear from others about whether this is a good idea. None of those schools are ranked high. But in my case as a career changer do you think this is a good idea? It seems like getting a second bachelors is pointless if I can get an MBA and receive a higher starting salary.

I do not advise you to do an MBA. You still need to figure out your career path. The MBA is not another certificate to add to and then will open career to you. Why does any employer should hire you? The work experience is vital aspect and the MBA boost your skills. Also, you still young. It means you will most likely miss the thrust in terms of money and positions that MBa adds ton your career. My recommendation is to discover your career path whatever you like and hence you will find whether MBA will add value for you or not.

Good luck

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 53

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 02:53
denis92 wrote:

Hi Denis,

First you need to think about what you want in your professional life. What type of a job are you aiming for? Can you get it without any degree right away or with some networking (most entry levels jobs are like this)?
I really believe in studying until grad- but after that your education has to solve a purpose, its the means to an end, not the end itself. And I can't see another bachelor's degree solving any purpose.

I can think of three choices:
1. get a job
2. get into a masters in management program, which is for people with 0-2 years work experience
3. get into a Masters in economics program, if you must study economics.

Which one appeals to you?

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 53

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 21:52
I guess the problem for me is finding a job with my chemistry diploma in business. I would love to go to work immediately in some area of business but most job openings ask for a specific degree. The only entry level job I see getting with my degree is maybe a bank teller from which I might be able to move into personal banking. That's why I was considering getting a degree in economics, after which I would be able to enter the business world. But it also seems like a waste of time and money if I can simply opt for an MBA which would take the same amount of time. Any suggestions as to how to get into a business field with a bachelors in chemistry?

Re: MBA for career change   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2017, 21:52

MBA for career change

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap