Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: SDA Bocconi - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.21
WE:Analyst (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: MBA from Queensland university [#permalink]
If you already have a PR for Australia I think it makes more sense to study and work there as you know Post MBA work permit and visa is a big issue now a days for most candidates and it makes it harder to find jobs.

So, you have an advantage their in case of Australia.
The education system in Australia is not the problem, its just the way things are ranked and depending on faculty, how many international students come there, post MBA careers and stuff, rankings are dependent on all of that.
Australia is traditionally not known for lot of business oriented culture but its changing now, that may be another reason for less brand value of Australian schools in US and Europe.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with the education system.
If you are really concerned about that, you may do an analysis of the curriculum for schools you are planning to apply in US and then Queensland or MBS etc.

As you don't know any Alumni of these schools, please write to the admissions counselor of these schools and ask them, they will introduce you to some of the alumni and then you can have discussions with them as well.

Hope it would help !

Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers !
Dhiraj

atmahesh wrote:
I agree with you it is apple to orange comparison. However, Queensland MBA is ranked 16. There must be something good, although I do not know any alumni. In Australia, as far as I know MBS is a top school but FT MBA seats are just 32.

Yes, I already have Australian PR which leds to confusion whether I should enrol to US top schools. I am planning to apply in R2 based on my GMAT score(attempting next week) to US b-schools too. My only worry is the Australian education system. is it really bad comparatively to EU/US?

Regarding companies and placements, I can see there is huge demand of big data and consulting jobs in Australia too .

dheeraj7890 wrote:
Hello there !

MBA schools from Australia aren't that great to be honest and they are no way comparable to Top 20 US schools.
However, there can be different factors you might be considering for choosing an MBA and things might look different !

In terms of cost and ROI, you would have great chances of getting scholarship at Queensland which would significantly reduce your cost.
Secondly, in case you are happy to work in Australia its a good option, work visa and PR laws are lenient in Australia as compared to US.

Definitely, with Queensland MBA, you can't (immediately) enter into US or Europe in case that is your target. On the other hand with an MBA from Top 20 US schools you can still have an edge in any part of the world as they have good brand presence.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers !
Dhiraj

atmahesh wrote:
is it worth to study MBA from university of Queensland business school - Australia compared to top 20 US universities ?

According to economist ranking university of Queensland business school rank is 16 consistently for 3 years.

I have 10 year of experience in IT division of Investment bank.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA from Queensland university [#permalink]
Yes, I will talk to alumni for their feedback. I have seen number of linkedin profiles where it is showing the people are working in various consulting firms post MBA. However, economist ranking seems to be a JOKE. Queensland ranking is not present in top 100 of FT ranking. Here are some reviews on poets and quants.

poetsandquantsforexecs dot com/2013/07/19/where-in-the-world-is-wharton/

I will apply to MBS as my first preference. I am also looking for part time option because FT limit is just 32. that will help in networking people without leaving job.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
That is true sometimes the rankings from FT and Economic times are way apart, however the better way to look at things if you are considering the rankings would be to calculate 3 to 5 year average ranks of the schools that you may be applying to, that would at least give a better perspective.

With your experience and PR status I don't see any reason of you not making to MBS, therefore Queensland should be out of the picture. However if you get a really heavy scholarship from Queensland and money is also an important criteria for you while selecting the programs, then you may give it a shot.

I also mentor MBA aspirants as a passion to support people to better equip them to make a decision.
In case you would like to take my help as well, let me know. In my signature, you may see my website link.
Have a look if you have some spare time !

Happy to answer more questions here as well !

All the best for your MBA endeavor !

Cheers !
Dhiraj

atmahesh wrote:
Yes, I will talk to alumni for their feedback. I have seen number of linkedin profiles where it is showing the people are working in various consulting firms post MBA. However, economist ranking seems to be a JOKE. Queensland ranking is not present in top 100 of FT ranking. Here are some reviews on poets and quants.

poetsandquantsforexecs dot com/2013/07/19/where-in-the-world-is-wharton/

I will apply to MBS as my first preference. I am also looking for part time option because FT limit is just 32. that will help in networking people without leaving job.
GMAT Club Bot