GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 16:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Interviews - What to Expect

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Admission Consultant
B
Affiliations: Harvard University
MBA Interviews - What to Expect  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Sep 2014, 09:53
Now that Round 1 MBA deadlines are either complete or soon to be complete, I thought a great topic for today's post would be the next most frequent question I get from my MBA students and clients: "What about the interview, and what can I expect?"

Usually, this is asked with some degree of trepidation, as most people don't like going into a situation blind where the person on the other end seemingly has all the control in terms of your future.

To quell some fears though, here are some valuable tips regarding the MBA (and EMBA) interview, and what it's all about:

1. They really do just want to get to know you - MBA admission officers sort through hundreds and hundreds of applicants. They really do just want to be able to put a face with a name, to understand just a little bit more about you, to gain a sense (and an opinion) about how you carry yourself, your level of confidence, the way you enter a room, carry a conversation, make someone else feel comfortable talking to you, and your ability to demonstrate that you have thought everything through and can thereby easily articulate your goals.

2. MBA interviewers are looking for professionalism - Especially at the top schools like HBS, Booth, Kellogg, Columbia, Stanford, Wharton, MIT Sloan and NYU. You have already turned in your resume and your application - now, they are looking to see if you truly match your experience in person: if you are a professional that they would be more than pleased to have as a graduate of their program; if they feel you will fit in to their program's environment and their world.

3. They will most likely also ask you about your latest project at work, what your work culture is like, why an MBA now, and what your "Plan B" is in your career should all your plans fail - All of this though is mainly to simply see if you have thought out your trajectory. To really gage if an MBA degree is truly a strategic course of action that has clear benefits to your personally stated goals, or if it is something you are just doing because you want to change course to something and don't really know what else to do at this time in your career (i.e. not a good answer).

4. And, finally, they want to see how you close a meeting. In the interview and in life, always leave on a strong note - Ideally, you wan to leave the interviewer feeling solid about the time they've spent with you. To leave them with the impression that it was a pleasure to get to know you and who you are. You do this, once again, by projecting confidence: confidence in your goals, confidence in your plans, confidence in your trajectory.

All these things combined will add up to one great interview, and if your resume, essays, and test scores can back all of that up? Well, you'll be on your way towards exactly where you want to go.

[I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and a Harvard graduate. I currently run the MBA admissions firm MBA IVY LEAGUE, out of Manhattan. Please take a look at my website, today: www. MBAIvyLeague.com ]

I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad, and currently run the award-winning MBA & EMBA admission firm and blog: http://www.MBAIvyLeague.com. Check out the blog and contact me for a free consultation today!

Originally posted by MBAIvy on 09 Sep 2014, 07:46.
Last edited by bb on 09 Sep 2014, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Removed Caps from Title
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: MBA Interviews - What to Expect  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 09:43
What does all-CAPS mean in the title?
It is also a bit early for interviews - most folks are still writing essays for their R1 applications with a few done this week, there are more to go through October, and most schools won't even release interview invites until much later in the fall/winter.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Admission Consultant
B
Affiliations: Harvard University

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 09:48
Hi bb, didn't mean to jump the gun. Was starting to get this question a lot via my clients, so thought it might be beneficial. In retrospect, it's probably just anxiety as they're getting ready for R1 submits. And the caps mean nothing, except that I had the lock key down to type MBA and then didn't take it off :-)

Will try to post more topics sticking to essays and GMAT for now. Thanks!

I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad, and currently run the award-winning MBA & EMBA admission firm and blog: http://www.MBAIvyLeague.com. Check out the blog and contact me for a free consultation today!

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 07:15
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA Interviews - What to Expect &nbs [#permalink] 10 Mar 2018, 07:15

MBA Interviews - What to Expect

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap