GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 20:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 13:56
Dear team,

it would be great if I could receive some advice/ an assessment of my upcoming B-School application:

Nationality: Western European/ US-American
Degree: Undergrad in Business (Top 5% at average/ good state university) and Exchange at Ivy in the US, Masters in Management (First/ Top 15-20% Oxbridge) incl. merit-based scholarships
GMAT: 690 (Q: 44 / V: 41 / IR: 8) - weak Quant; retake worth it if e.g., only 47 expected?
Work Experience: 2 Years MBB in Europe and further abroad, several internships in consulting and at Volkswagen
Extracurricular: Several activities before and during studies (e.g., Class President, Politics); currently minimal
Post-MBA goal: Consulting, PE

Schools:
Harvard
Wharton
Chicago
MIT
Insead

It would be great to get some advice on chances at these schools and the necessity of a GMAT retake.

Thank you very much!
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 19:03
You've got some solid experience & many aspects of your candidacy are strong. The GMAT is below average for a top 10 school as you know & that is going to catch the adcom's eye & mean they place more weight on other parts of your application to look for compensation for it. In terms of whether or not to retake it I think it depends on a couple of things. Were you scoring much higher on practice tests? Did this score feel like a fluke? How much time would you need to invest in studying to get your score up to 720+? That will allow you to gauge whether or not it's worth the time it will take away from your essays. It will also depend on when you plan to apply to b-school. If you're planning to apply this fall R1 then that doesn't leave you much time to get your score up & finish up your essays (unless you've already made good progress on those), but if you're planning to apply R2 you've got some more room.

Basically, I'd say it depends on how much time & work it's going to take to get up to a score closer to 720 (which would be more competitive) & the trade off in terms of time spent on other parts of your application. A higher score that at least hits your target schools averages will help your candidacy for sure, so I'd err on the side of recommending that you do retake it if you're able to carve out the time while not sacrificing other parts of your app. Your work experience & post-MBA goals are solid but not super unique, so you want to do anything you can to avoid raising concerns among the adcom with other parts of your app.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 19:11
Hello Jon,

thank you very much for your advice. This is really helpful.

Does it make a significant difference applying in R2? If not, then I probably will go for a retake.

Assuming my score would not change much, how realistic do you think the different schools would be? I am obviously fully aware that putting a number to it is not easy without considering the full profile such as the essays.

Thank you.
Best
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 19:08
Applying R1 vs. R2 won't make a huge difference for you. It's more important for applicants applying from India or China.

If your score remains the same, your chance of getting into these schools will all depend on the strength of your essays, resume & LORs. Those things are all critical anyway but if your GMAT is below avg the adcom will place more weight on all of them! It's not impossible with a 690 but given that your background & work experience are not super unique ideally you do want to get your GMAT up or consider at least rounding out your list & applying to these schools as well as some that are ranked a bit lower like CBS, Duke, UVA, etc.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap