GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 23:22
Hello!

Could I possibly get an honest evaluation of my profile? I need help narrowing down my schools (since I don't want to burden my LOC-writers) but I'd really love to get into a top 10 if possible.

GMAT: 720
GPA: 3.797 at UC Berkeley Haas Undergrad (B.S. Business Admin)
Work Experience: Worked at E&Y for 2.5 years (got my CPA and 5/5 management ratings) and then transitioned into an analyst position at a small biotech/life sciences company and worked my way up into a Product Owner (similar to Product Manager, working with engineers and UX/design guys) over 5 years so almost 8 years of experience
Extra-curricular: Extremely active in my church; I was leading our youth group and coordinated a lot of events (also led our young adults class for 2 years, have been financial auditing work for 5-6 years, helping with translation from Chinese-English and piano). When I was in college (haha) I was involved in many business clubs and eventually became president of the now Berkeley Business Club, which I restructured/expanded by adding consulting and internal relations divisions.
Long Term goal: I still want to do product management in the tech industry so I'm hoping to find programs like that
Note: I quit my job in March to begin learning code/javascript, hopefully enrolling in a coding bootcamp very soon (Actually my plan was originally to already be in the Codesmith.io bootcamp by now, but my mock GMAT scores were terrible so I switched gears and was working on improving my score and waited until this month to take it-- not sure if that gap will look really bad on my app)
Also, I'm an Asian-American female (Taiwanese but born in USA).

Based on my limited research of tech-oriented MBA programs, I've been thinking of applying to:
Kellogg MMM
Haas
Stanford
MIT
Harvard? (not sure if this is good for tech - mostly because of ranking and one of the managers at my company was HBS and went into Amazon e-commerce)
Columbia? (not sure if this is good for tech - mostly because of the rankings)

Safety(?):
Tepper
McCombs

If you're aware of any other tech-oriented programs please let me know!

Thank you in advance.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 02:12
Hi eternatea,

Evaluating your profile is hard to do over a posting - MBA Admissions is a holistic process where they really take into consideration more than a handful of stats, although your high GPA is great and your GMAT is in range at all but the very top schools. Essays and recommendations count a lot, for example. It sounds to me like you have/had solid work experience (it sounds like "worked my way up" means a track record of promotions, which is good), but I am worried about your time off. The schools might look askance at so much time off just to study for the GMAT. Perhaps you also worked on some other personal goals or volunteered? If not, and you aren't employed again soon, do try to add that kind of activity to whatever coding camp you might pursue. (That said, the schools would really rather see you employed and contributing in a job when you apply).

As for tech programs, I think Kellogg MMM might make sense (do you want two degrees?), but check out Cornell Tech and NYU Tech. I like Tepper and McCombs as well. I'd also check out Foster, Fuqua, and UCLA. MIT and Stanford would be reach schools for you, I think. Haas is also a small program with a low admit rate (around the same rate as Harvard!) so that could be tough, but it is a great school as you know :) Harvard and Columbia are really not oriented for tech in the way you seem to want, so I'd focus on the other names.

Good luck!

Julie-Anne Heafey
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap