GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
MBA Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 18:17
I have recently received an offer from my employer to cover 100% of the expenses for an MBA program if I can get accepted, and have just begun the process of exploring programs. I am planning to spend the Spring preparing for the application process and then applying in the Fall expecting to begin classes at some point in 2020. My target schools are Fuqua or Darden. Will you please review my credentials and let me know if acceptance to these programs is realistic or if there are any areas where I am falling short?

Background
Work experience: 7.5 years total in marketing management positions for two different Fortune 200 companies (5 years in the financial industry, 2.5 years in CPG).
Undergrad school/major: Attended a non-competitive (top 150) state school in the U.S. for financial reasons, but achieved a 3.9 GPA majoring in Marketing. Attended the same school for an M.S. in Business with a 3.6 GPA.
GMAT Score: Currently preparing for GMAT and fairly confident I can achieve at least 700. GRE score for master's program was 312 (158 verbal/154 quant).
Letters of Recommendation: Guaranteed from two Senior Directors at my current company.
Extra curriculars: Have taught undergraduate marketing part-time at alma matter for past 2-years. Regularly compete in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Race/nationality: White/American
Sex: Male
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 22:20
Hello and thanks for your post.
Congrats on your employer offering to fully cover your MBA! And you are smart to already begin thinking about your fall application. If you can finalize the GMAT by the end of spring, you will have all of summer to prepare your applications, as well as research your target programs.
The application process is truly holistic, and committees will look at your stats (GPA and GMAT/GRE), work experience, and extracurriculars.

Your GPA’s are strong, so that is a good start. How you did in college is more important than the college you attended. Your GMAT will certainly be important, and reaching or exceeding a 700 will really boost your application, as the average score for schools like Fuqua or Darden are in that range.
It is hard to gauge your work experience without knowing your accomplishments and impact you have made there. Hopefully you have made an impact and demonstrated leadership there, and ideally this will be supported by a strong recommendation from your Directors who know your work well. It will also be important to explain why you want your MBA, and to also illustrate the skills you already have which are transferable. Be sure your story makes sense, and is realistic and specific.
Regarding extracurriculars, teaching marketing is a good activity to highlight. Make sure to really emphasize your leadership role there or any other activities where you have taken initiative.
If you continue to strengthen your profile, you definitely have a chance at these schools, but they are extremely competitive, and each school simply does not have the room to admit all the world's qualified applicants. For that reason, I suggest apply to several schools, including a couple reach, target and safety. Hopefully they will see that you have a compelling story and are someone who will add value to the classroom and community.
If you would like to discuss your story or anything else in greater detail, please sign up for a free consultation. It is never too early to get started.
Good luck!

Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Intern
Intern
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 10:18
Thanks for the advice. I will look into the consultation.

MBA Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate