Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Send PM
Re: MBA Resume::need advice [#permalink]
Are you thinking of submitting a few days/weeks after your new job? or a year or so?

I don't think it would be meaningless at all.
After all, maybe your last supervisor knows you better than the new one.
It might also be tough to ask for a rec when you just recently join your new company.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks!

I guess that makes sense.

Im actually ready with my application but i guess i would be better off applying after i join my new job.
so the time frame would be 2-3 months.
That way, i do not have to waste precious application space trying to justify the break i had , or in other words, that i was unemployed when i submitted my application.

let me see what the adcoms have to say.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
prasun84, hi!

I have exactly the same situation. I left my last job in the middle of august and starting a new one on the October, 1.

I had the same questions and I decided 1) not to include my new job in the resume; 2) apply now as I want to apply in Round 1.

Have you received an answer from the adcom? Which school?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Or apply as an entrepreneur who is forming business strategy and writing a plan...

So many people are out of job. You are not alone. Indicating our clear goals and how we will be successful in achieving our goals after the b-school education will possibly matter more. But then there should not be an excuse for any mediocre application as people should have more time and do a better job with applications while they are in between jobs...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
well the adcoms said that if you're in between jobs, they want to see that from your resume.
how can i write about my new role when i haven't even joined was my doubt..!!

to avoid the confusion, i think the better way out is work on your application, keep it ready(since i intended to submit during the break), join your role, update your resume and submit it!
although you would not have much to write about your new job, the adcoms would understand that you have a back-up plan in case you don't make the cut.

secondly, you save precious application space in the "extra information" essay , which otherwise would have been used in justifying the break.

qlemon..hope thats a feasible solution.
im certainly doing that.. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
prasun84,

i want to apply in R1, that is in the first or second week of October, whereas my new job starts on October,1. What would I know about it in 2 weeks? On top of that, it starts from a 3-month education and preparation for certification. So I will not know my duties by the R1 deadline.

Also the new job influences not only your resume but your essays too (career progress, how did you chose you last job and many many others........).

In your case you say that you are having a time frame of 2-3 months. If I understand you correctly, it means that you are going to apply in R2?

Why are you so afraid of using this extra space in optional essay? You have some other weak points that you want to justify? Actually, i don't see a problem here...

So this is what i think and I am still submitting during the break.
What is your opinion on all that?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi qlemon,
Maybe i wasnt so clear on my last reply but thats certainly what i meant.

the fact that your joining a new job implies you have reached a plateau in your last job(growth, incentives, etc.).
You're focussed on MBA being the solution so you're applying now.
but the fact that you've joined a new job can be used to show your resourcefulness.
I mean....you must have back-up Plans right?
in the current markets you wouldn't just say "well fine..I ain't growing in this job...MBA is the answer..so i sit at home and wait for a college to accept me!...".

You can use that "extra " essay to say that precisely....You know why you need that MBA...and you also know what to do if you did not do that MBA...(unless you compromise on your choice of college and settle for one much lower on your priority list)
I did a personal SWOT...and this is what i have come out with.... etc... etc..

I mean...thats the case with me... :shock:
GMAT Club Bot