Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: MBA's not eligible for OPT extensions.... [#permalink]
Expert Reply
It looks like they are having a hard time retaining talent in one field, so they are favoring that one only. Quite typical of US Gov to provide benefits and steer people in a certain direction.

However, perhaps this will apply for other areas later on. OPT for 29 months would be fantastic for most, esp if one plans to change employers and may take longer than a year to find the sweet spot. It's been harder and harder to get H1B and even with the visa, you are still very dependent on the employer and have to coordinate jumps with lawyers, employers, etc - somebody is bound to get hurt.

I would say OPT is much better than H1B, esp since you can only get 6 years on H1B unless you can get a Green Card.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
And yeah, i forgot to mention...I will have used up 4 yrs of my allotted H1B time at matriculation..so this extra time would've been a real boon to someone like me.

Moreover, 29 months is almost 2.5 yrs. Many people repay their MBA loans in 3-5 years. Having the freedom of movement during the initial 2.5 yrs can do wonders....I think
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ok,
but most people from this forum can use this extention based on undergraduate degrees. So this is a good surprise for all the Indian IT people ;)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Darden2010 wrote:
ok,
but most people from this forum can use this extention based on undergraduate degrees. So this is a good surprise for all the Indian IT people ;)

That's right, you would not even need to get an H1B or a Work Permit or a Visa (unless you plan to leave). You could work for 2 years and then go for the Master's degree.

As an FYI - this is only for the STEM field (The Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
soo isn't business considered a science also ? :)))
I mean .. I have a "Bachelor's of science in business admin" degree :) ... so technically I have a science degree huh? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
not really...i doubt if one can use the OPT from a previous degree (MS etc.) after a graduating from a higher degree...in this case an MBA

Also remember this is ONLY for graduates from US universities. Most people I know, have already used up their OPT soon after their MS degrees. So I doubt if they can even apply for another OPT, if yes they have 12 months and not 29.

Also note that the process is so convoluted that the empoyer who hires an OPT candidate has to also attest that the profile is indeed highly skilled and in shortage. All this through an online system named e-verify.

Darden2010 wrote:
ok,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
man that sucks, we are being discriminated against :(

I guess you haven't been following recent supreme court rulings. Apparently the "all men are created equal" clause of the constitution is meant to be interpreted as "All citzens of the united states are created equal". and the part about "rights endowed by creator" meant "rights endowed by creator to US citizens and no one else."

<ANGRY ANGRY SARCASM>Kind of makes sense now that you think about it</ANGRY ANGRY SARCASM>

Me (an American)- bitter and resentful about this ridiculous double standard that makes America look cruel and idiotic to the whole world?
Plus, it isn't like these stupid rules have made life difficult for me and my non-citizen wife and her family.... oh, wait.. they HAVE!!! :x
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
oh well... all of us international Top 10 school MBA graduates will just have to move to another country that will appreciate us more :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM