It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 10:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MC @ Chicago GSB

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
MC @ Chicago GSB [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 11:34
This post might be aimed at Rhyme since her MC and GSB related posts are so insightful but I'd appreciate anyone’s input.

I've completed the CFA charter so I'm obviously fascinated by professors like Fama and financial management courses but my career interests lie in MC. Which concentrations would you recommend? Also, can you tell me how I can view the list of elective courses? Finally, what is your take on GSB live?

Accounting
Analytic Finance
Econometrics and Statistics
Economics
Entrepreneurship
Finance
General Management
Human Resource Management
International Business
Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Marketing Management
Operations Management
Strategic Management
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Re: MC @ Chicago GSB [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2008, 06:26
This post received
KUDOS
Not a GSB student but one thing I can tell you is what I heard at most schools about majors...dont worry about them. Take the classes you want, the ones that interest you and you think will be helpful. In your essays including a major isnt a bad idea if you want MC then strategy is usually a good one to have since many people go into strategy consulting.

GSB live, I went last fall I will say it definitely has its good points and weak points. Good, it overall is a good time, you meet lots of applicants and they go somewhat beyond the presentation you will get when they travel to different cities. They did a mock application walk through to kind of show you how they do it which was rather interesting BUT they didnt tell us whether they would have let the person in or not which was annoying. The bad, there was no class or anything it was just all applicants...if you want to visit a class set up a day near the event with a student or else you wont get to see a class. Also the interactions with students I would say is lower than a typical visit since during a normal visit the group of applicants present is MUCH less. Honestly, I think a visit on another day would probably be just as, if not more helpful than the live event but thats just my opinion.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2008, 06:30
That's the information I was looking for on GSB live. Thanks, river. I would prefer to schedule the trip on my own time (not based on GSB live schedule) so I appreciate the details.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2008, 11:42
Personally I think the live event under sells the quality of GSB since it doesnt involve anything class related and one of GSBs biggest strengths is the quality of its academic reputation. I think going a few days before I got a better sense of what the students were like since I got to see them interacting with each other not just applicants. So I saw that the students were outgoing and interacted with each other, not the cold academic description some people told me about (far far from that in reality).

Live was a good time but you will get a bigger benefit out of going another day, and a better picture of what the school is really like.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2008, 18:47
Sorry I just saw this post right now.

River I think they changed things this year, students who go to the GSB live are watching half of a class, and from what I saw at the last GSB live prosp students could go to good classes (some of them hardcore finance ones, such as Fixed Income Asset Pricing).

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t57360

Re: MC @ Chicago GSB   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2008, 18:47

MC @ Chicago GSB

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap